: Tech Bull: HD signal cuts in and out, skips, or drops out (#PIC5854)

flycaster
06-27-13, 05:57 PM
Although I don't drive our new ATS as much as my wife, and she doesn't recognize whatever problems the car may have, I have definitely noted that the FM-HD reception will do everything that the Caddy TB's subject above says. So, I had the car into the dealership this morning requesting that they take a look at the radio's FM/HD performance. And what did I get? I got a copy of the TB saying that all this sh-t is normal. Let me quote some of the specifics that Caddy is wriggling out of:

"Condition/Concern
Customer may comment that the AM or FM audio volume changes, mutes, echoes, cuts in and out, repeat broadcast content, or skips intermittently. Customer may notice the HD symbol turning on and off on the radio display when this occurs.

"Recommendation/Instruction...Now get this, guys and dolls
Advise this is normal operation when listening to a weak AM or FM HD station." ...I'll bet dollars to donuts that those of us who are experiencing these "normal"-give me a break- problems, are listening to their local (read strong) stations. The dealership's answer to this one was that although it was a local station, there probably was "some kind" of interference going on. More BS as far as I am concerned.

"Customer Information
Please communicate to the customer this condition is a normal operating characteristic of the vehicle. It will not impact the designed performance or reliability of the vehicle..."

Note with the second sentence how Caddy let's everyone know that this condition is not within Lemon Law criteria. Nonetheless, I am most amazed that Caddy can turn out a product that is not yet ready fro prime time. They have done it with CUE, and now one wonders what else can one expect in the way of car-functioning problems???

BTW, this is my first Caddy and I do like the car, but I'm quite disappointed with these "problems that never should have been."

Hoosier Daddy
06-27-13, 06:37 PM
Customer complaints can be groundless so I don't have a problem with wording like that when it is true. It does not say its normal with strong stations. So while it makes a customer with a legitimate problem uneasy because it introduces a variable they can not easily verify themselves, it also lets the dealer tell a customer who is complaining about a bad signal when driving between tall buildings or in a tunnel or a long distance from a station they can't do anything about it. To me that's a good thing because any time they spend chasing a non-problem gets passed on to the rest of us.

Its important to always have a good relationship with the service people because when you have a problem that is in a gray area, it can make all the difference in the world.

Someone who is having problems with strong stations can still prevail. If the dealer believes the problem is happening with strong stations and no other factors (reflections, etc.) they can set the TB aside because the complaint isn't about a weak or distant station. If they don't believe the customer or thinks the customer is an SOB or DOB, the customer still has the option to have the signal strength independently tested at their own expense which can definitely be used in any lemon law case where the law encompasses defective audio. Then you can sue them for the cost of the independent testing!

In fact this is a major reason I stopped being an SOB decades ago. It was a lot cheaper/faster to get gray area warranty problem solved afterwards. ;)

So go to your dealer and say: Listen, you know I'm not a complainer but I'm having this problem with strong radio signals. What can you do?

If its a good dealer and you're a good customer, my money's on it getting fixed or them actually showing you there is another factor when and where you are having the problem.

73JPS
06-28-13, 08:42 AM
Agreed: the key is to have some credibility in the dealer's eyes... assuming one has a good service department, of course. Probably the worst thing one can do at a dealership these days is introduce into the conversation "...well, EVERYONE is having trouble with this, I read it on the internet!"

Fraggy
06-28-13, 09:53 AM
I have this same issue, BUT, I had already tied it into poor signal strength. It seems be worse in the same places day after day as I drive my commute.

BUT I must also say that overall, radio reception is not as strong overall as other cars I've had.

Muffin
06-28-13, 12:01 PM
Same issue cue radio not very good. Never lose or fad inmy new kia i purchased for wife. We even followed one another to see if the signal would drop out in same area. She won i lost. So as usual take back to dealer and cant reproduce the error. Sos. So where do we go from here

SLA
06-28-13, 06:49 PM
Hd radio is awful in our car. We're right outside of Philly but the hd goes in and out all the time.

It's funny that my 16 year old M3 with an aftermarket deck picks up hd fine.

thebigjimsho
07-02-13, 11:31 AM
Hd radio is awful in our car. We're right outside of Philly but the hd goes in and out all the time.

It's funny that my 16 year old M3 with an aftermarket deck picks up hd fine.

And your aftermarket deck is 16 years old? If not, what does the car matter?

----------

Agreed: the key is to have some credibility in the dealer's eyes... assuming one has a good service department, of course. Probably the worst thing one can do at a dealership these days is introduce into the conversation "...well, EVERYONE is having trouble with this, I read it on the internet!"

Well, I had a good working relationship with my dealer. If there was an issue on the V, I went in trying to be helpful, not demanding.

We also had a lot of GM engineers, professional mechanics and general nuts and bolts guys who could figure things out.

So when I went in with a common problem or issue, I had the relationship to be able to show how-tos or related TSBs or general fixes for them. The early V forums were a serious help...