: Jalopnik V Wagon Review

dennych
06-27-13, 04:58 PM
http://jalopnik.com/2013-cadillac-cts-v-wagon-the-jalopnik-review-523089179

I think many Vagoneers here share the same sentiments :)

neuronbob
06-27-13, 08:46 PM
The V Wagon is one of those cars built by car people for car people. Bean counters didn't touch it. It wasn't meant to turn a profit or become a volume seller. This is the car that proves GM still has genuine Detroit car guys running the business. Not the Corvette, not the Camaro ZL1, but the CTS-V Wagon.P

And now it's going away. Farewell friend.

Hell yeah.

spearfish25
06-27-13, 10:04 PM
Enjoyed the read. I think the only inaccurate thing was the production numbers to break even. I think MotorTrend said it was 37 Vagons sold to break even. Details.

I agree that GM needed to give the Vagon some more balls in the sound department. The exhaust is an embarrassment considering the specs.

dennych
06-28-13, 01:26 AM
Enjoyed the read. I think the only inaccurate thing was the production numbers to break even. I think MotorTrend said it was 37 Vagons sold to break even. Details.

I agree that GM needed to give the Vagon some more balls in the sound department. The exhaust is an embarrassment considering the specs.

Yeah, that's why I want to install the Corsas. It's just that they seem kind of expensive for axlebacks and I'm not keen on chopping off my stock ones.

Jinx
06-28-13, 02:50 AM
The wagon sounds fine just the way it is. Not every vehicle needs to sound like a redneck's pickup from the factory.

neuronbob
06-28-13, 05:58 AM

That's why I had the Stainless Works catback installed as soon as I could get it done. I want to hear some of the sound and fury of the engine and the wagon is almost too-well insulated, much more so than my V sedan was.

pat2t2f
06-28-13, 09:05 AM
"Sweet merciful crap this thing is fast" is a great line.

RaVeNous
06-28-13, 09:22 AM
I wish the V's had a bit more agressive exhaust at open throttle. Perhaps some real factory shorties, like the SRT8 392 would do the trick, as long as they could tame the drone. An agressive exhaust is not worth the drone, and interior noise when driving under normal acceleration in my opinion.

I wasn't a huge fan of the V wagons when they came out, but they have grown on me after seeing one in person. Like the Coupe they don't photograph well all the time and can appear disproportional. I drove an SRT8 Magnum for 4 year until is was smashed :), and I loved having a "power wagon". I think they should have done a bit more to the wagons rear bumber and roof line to distinguish it from the base CTS wagon.

ptrd
06-28-13, 10:16 AM
I don't think the reporter knew about the competition mode for the steering.

concorso
06-28-13, 10:20 AM
I wish the V's had a bit more agressive exhaust at open throttle. Perhaps some real factory shorties, like the SRT8 392 would do the trick, as long as they could tame the drone. An agressive exhaust is not worth the drone, and interior noise when driving under normal acceleration in my opinion.

I wasn't a huge fan of the V wagons when they came out, but they have grown on me after seeing one in person. Like the Coupe they don't photograph well all the time and can appear disproportional. I drove an SRT8 Magnum for 4 year until is was smashed :), and I loved having a "power wagon". I think they should have done a bit more to the wagons rear bumber and roof line to distinguish it from the base CTS wagon.The simple answer is active mufflers. Im quite surprised GM didnt offer this on the V, as they did on the Camaro ZL1 and entire Corvette lineup. No drone while cruising, but all the noise at WOT.

spearfish25
06-28-13, 11:34 AM
I think they should have done a bit more to the wagons rear bumber and roof line to distinguish it from the base CTS wagon.

100% agree. The front and side profile is tits. The back looks like Janice's base caddy sport wagon except for a V badge. Even just sewer pipe size exhaust tips like the V coupe would have made a world of difference.

----------

That's why I had the Stainless Works catback installed as soon as I could get it done. I want to hear some of the sound and fury of the engine and the wagon is almost too-well insulated, much more so than my V sedan was.

You said the SW is drone free while putting around town, right? I found a shop near me that will do the catback and install for $1000 out the door.

VMoose
06-28-13, 12:35 PM
A stealth blue for the review. I'm surprised, but glad to see it. Rare color, rare car.

Jinx
06-28-13, 12:39 PM
I think they should have done a bit more to the wagons rear bumber and roof line to distinguish it from the base CTS wagon.

100% agree. The front and side profile is tits. The back looks like Janice's base caddy sport wagon except for a V badge. Even just sewer pipe size exhaust tips like the V coupe would have made a world of difference.

Unique bodywork isn't realistic for a niche of a niche. The V wagon barely got built in the first place, and that was because it was basically free to do so. Insist on unique sheetmetal/plastic and it dies on the spreadsheet.

Besides, Janice's base sport wagon is hardly a common sight -- I think there are more Ferrari 458s than CTS wagons -- and there is nothing ordinary about three-foot-tall taillamps.

.Jinx

RaVeNous
06-28-13, 01:00 PM
Unique bodywork isn't realistic for a niche of a niche. The V wagon barely got built in the first place, and that was because it was basically free to do so. Insist on unique sheetmetal/plastic and it dies on the spreadsheet.

Besides, Janice's base sport wagon is hardly a common sight -- I think there are more Ferrari 458s than CTS wagons -- and there is nothing ordinary about three-foot-tall taillamps.

.Jinx

You're thinking too hard. They wouldn't have had to create an entirely unique rear section. They could have used a more sporty rear diffuers and possiblly some "stick-on" trim or something to make it more distictive, but I understand what you're saying. Its still missing something, no matter what GM's reasoning was. Even some kind of tastefull rear hatch spoiler could have helped.

Jinx
06-28-13, 01:04 PM
BTW, it's fun to see so many V wagon owners check in on the comments section. It may already be more than 1% of all V wagons made :)

----------

You're thinking too hard. They wouldn't have had to create an entirely unique rear section. Of course not; did you really think I was... oh, wait, I remember, you're that guy.

RaVeNous
06-28-13, 01:15 PM
BTW, it's fun to see so many V wagon owners check in on the comments section. It may already be more than 1% of all V wagons made :)

----------

Of course not; did you really think I was... oh, wait, I remember, you're that guy.

And you're that "other" guy.:lildevil:

Jinx
06-28-13, 02:52 PM
Being that "other" guy, here's the comment I posted to Jalopnik:

-----

CTS-V wagons are real and they are magnificent.

I had no need for a wagon -- no tykes to ferry, no mountains of gear to haul. I was perfectly happy with my Corvette, a flawed but joyful thing in its own right.

And yes, all the practical arguments against the V wagon are true: heavy, frightfully thirsty, now-outdated tech, pinched an inch here and there for a vehicle of its size and mass, and not even particularly capacious or practical as wagons go. This review adds "steering wheel too big." Surf the web's reviews of this car and you will not want for reasons to admire-but-not-acquire.

But... they're actually building these things.

Hell yes I bought one.

It is equal parts invisible and ostentatious, an open secret of vehicular joy kept by sheer audacity. The answer may always be Miata, but this car gets away with begging the question. You think you know but you have no idea. The CTS-V wagon is Roddy Piper at the bank, wearing shades and all out of bubble gum.

1997BlackETC
06-28-13, 04:58 PM
I agree that V needs an aftermarket exhaust and probably a tune and pulley to make it more exciting. I can really see that now driving my Merc, the exhaust in that car gets real loud when you get on it and it's great. The Corsa does this for the V. The Merc you can just feel the raw power more too, you do the right tune and pulley on the V and you'll be feeling more of the raw power with lot's less torque management, just my two cents, I see all this a lot more clearly now, the V does need mods to make it a lot more exciting, the mods are not real expensive either, just the main question is the warrantee, as long as nothing major goes wrong you'd still have a warrantee.

spearfish25
06-28-13, 06:00 PM
I think a revised rear diffuser/rear fascia wouldn't cost GM much of anything. How many aftermarket companies come up with body kits that cost about $500 for a bumper? Piece of cake for big corporate GM.

I'm nit picking with this, but if you're going for it...go all in.

Jinx
06-28-13, 06:36 PM
Aftermarket companies don't have the overhead of a GM new vehicle program. Little things like this are the opposite of a piece of cake for a corporate behemoth like GM. Not saying that's how it should be, just how it often is. Just the political effort to get a big organization to allow the skunkworking of some low-volume production part can be excruciating.

And really, from a performance standpoint, what's wrong with the rear of the CTS wagon that the higher-performance V needs to fix? It's already got an integrated spoiler and skegs on the lower fascia. If you're just making it different for the sake of looking different, it's just posing. Wagons don't need to pose. Wagons are the anti-pose. Except of course that it's really important to wagon owners that people notice their quirky unpretentiousness... ;)

And anyway, it already looks like the dropship of choice for alien invaders. I posit that the rear of the wagon cannot be improved and needs no performance baubles. Does every single performance car have to ego-stroke its owner with some kind of unique butt decoration in order to be complete? Can it not go fast if the backside doesn't have obviously-larger chrome anuses, or a more tacked-on/homemade-looking diffuser, or a mesh insert, or a popped collar? It ain't the 80s and these ain't minitrucks.

Arbitrary rear-end differentiation of performance models: the tramp stamp of the automotive world.

Not that I feel strongly about it or anything, I just get on a roll :) And the wagon is crazy cool-looking as-is.

.Jinx

thebigjimsho
06-28-13, 07:52 PM
The simple answer is active mufflers. Im quite surprised GM didnt offer this on the V, as they did on the Camaro ZL1 and entire Corvette lineup. No drone while cruising, but all the noise at WOT.

The simpler answer is headers and stock muffs...

r_calif
06-29-13, 12:57 AM
The CTS-V wagon is Roddy Piper at the bank, wearing shades and all out of bubble gum.

Nice "They Live" reference. I've been wondering if that movie has perhaps gotten better with age. Doubtful, but possible.

MacBuster
06-29-13, 04:52 AM
Aftermarket companies don't have the overhead of a GM new vehicle program. Little things like this are the opposite of a piece of cake for a corporate behemoth like GM. Not saying that's how it should be, just how it often is. Just the political effort to get a big organization to allow the skunkworking of some low-volume production part can be excruciating.

And really, from a performance standpoint, what's wrong with the rear of the CTS wagon that the higher-performance V needs to fix? It's already got an integrated spoiler and skegs on the lower fascia. If you're just making it different for the sake of looking different, it's just posing. Wagons don't need to pose. Wagons are the anti-pose. Except of course that it's really important to wagon owners that people notice their quirky unpretentiousness... ;)

And anyway, it already looks like the dropship of choice for alien invaders. I posit that the rear of the wagon cannot be improved and needs no performance baubles. Does every single performance car have to ego-stroke its owner with some kind of unique butt decoration in order to be complete? Can it not go fast if the backside doesn't have obviously-larger chrome anuses, or a more tacked-on/homemade-looking diffuser, or a mesh insert, or a popped collar? It ain't the 80s and these ain't minitrucks.

Arbitrary rear-end differentiation of performance models: the tramp stamp of the automotive world.

Not that I feel strongly about it or anything, I just get on a roll :) And the wagon is crazy cool-looking as-is.

.JinxI was going to write something similar, but you wrote it better.

The idea of some distinguishing piece of plastic trash on the back of the Vagon is needed is wrong. That's the type of trashy BS that Dodge puts on their disgusting vehicles.

DCV
06-29-13, 07:17 AM
Most of the diffuser and other things sold by aftermarkets do nothing but add drag to the car, they are not wind tunnel tested. Its quite a lot of money to make the piece, add in on, and then go to a wind tunnel with instruments to collect data on air flow and drag.

dennych
06-29-13, 07:10 PM
this forum is bad for me. Makes me want to get those corsas every time I read =/
My wallet is crying and my wife will kill me.

Like how the reviewer genuinely seems to want one.

neuronbob
06-29-13, 07:26 PM
this forum is bad for me. Makes me want to get those corsas every time I read =/
My wallet is crying and my wife will kill me.

Like how the reviewer genuinely seems to want one.

I went through that with my first V. This one, I'm just relaxing on the mods and limiting it to intake and exhaust. For now. :lildevil:

spearfish25
06-29-13, 07:59 PM
I want the under the radar sleeper wagon that gets noticed only when I want it to damn it! My rear fascia is important because that's what people usually see on the highway. Right now they're just thinking 'WTF?!?! That F'ing wagon just blew my doors off?'

I do like the rear look. But it's completely unchanged from a 'regular' sport wagon. Guess I'm amazed the regular wagon looks so damn aggressive.

Jinx
06-29-13, 08:55 PM
I want the under the radar sleeper wagon that gets noticed only when I want it to damn it!

Like K.I.T.T.'s Super Pursuit Mode? :)

For some reason I found myself watching a pre-SuperPursuitMode episode where KITT is put into a car show to attract attention and get stolen, because... well, it's Knight Rider, the plot doesn't really matter does it? Anyway, in order to enter the car show, they flipped up the headlights, changed the wheels to the kind of gold-painted five-spoke three-piece things you see on every other fourth-generation Corvette still rolling, put a bigger wing on the tail and a wing on the roof, and added a shop-class flame job. And chrome side pipes. I am not making this up.

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2011/271/8/8/custom_kitt_by_duallygirl178-d4b7unv.jpg
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p314/firebirdta84/thPDVD_020.jpg

I forget what my point was.

Probably something about common statements of automotive "moreness" being at higher risk of comic obsolescence in the future.
Or maybe just a cry for help.

spearfish25
07-01-13, 11:34 AM
I just ran the Tail of the Dragon and no one had an issue identifying my car. Nice when automotive enthusiasts get excited. Too many bikers though.

Xaqtly
07-01-13, 12:05 PM
I got a lot of stares at the LeMons race at Buttonwillow yesterday, and a couple people came up to ask about the car. One guy jokingly asked me if it was the wife's grocery getter, to which I responded "No, it's MY grocery getter", haha. Then I opened the tailgate so we could bask in the magnificence of the 60-something cubic feet of space with the seats down.

thebigjimsho
07-03-13, 09:25 PM
I just ran the Tail of the Dragon and no one had an issue identifying my car. Nice when automotive enthusiasts get excited. Too many bikers though.

Slow bikers. Plenty of other scenic roads to troll...

dennych
07-07-13, 08:26 PM
Took my Vagon up the 1 fwy to Monterey from LA this weekend. Most common comment I've heard is "I didn't know they made these in wagon form". I always get the feeling most people don't even know what the V wagon is anyway. Didn't see any other V's but did see one guy with a sportwagon that had another V back home.

Overall... solidified the fact that the V Wagon is an awesome road tripping car with my plug in cooler in the back (my mom demanded I bring her up some JJ bakery). Also made quick stop to take a gander at Laguna Seca on the final leg back to my parent's house in San Jose :)

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-TwX4ayu7yvg/UdoHFsrihGI/AAAAAAAAPpU/AJBMOcY5RB4/s720/20130705_181808.jpg

Jinx
07-07-13, 09:06 PM
That looks like quite the tint.

dennych
07-07-13, 11:08 PM
That looks like quite the tint.

What tint? My front windows are totally always down when I drive past the CHP officers (Who seemed nonexistent on July 4th on the 1 fwy :))