: Advice on Purchasing 2006 Cadillac DTS

dcarter8
06-27-13, 05:30 PM
Hello to all

I just recently joined this site but I have watched from a far for the last couple years and I would like to say thanks for all the helpful information provided.

I currently have a 2000 Cadillac I purchased used a couple years ago when I was in High school from a private party against the advice of others. They warned me of the constant problems that model car has, mainly the head gaskets and sure enough I blew mine so Im in the market for a new car.

I was looking for any advice you all would have on purchasing a used 2006 Cadillac DTS? Are the problems as constant as the older model DTS's (2000-2005)? I recently saw a 2006 Cadillac DTS with a low price but 120,000 miles which is more than I would want so I'm already looking into warranties and of course I would have it inspected before I purchased it.

Im a college student who has to travel a good distance to get home so I would want something reliable. Any advice anybody has to offer would be useful. Thanks

jazoo
06-27-13, 06:20 PM
Welcome to the DTS Owners Forum. My question is that how could a college student (unless you are an older student & going to a Grad school) afford an expensive luxury vehicle? I know that you are currently driving 2000 model which you purchased a couple of years ago but how did you come to select this luxury out of hundreds of other vehicles? I have a 2006 Luxury II DTS and I really enjoys the luxurious ride. My personal opinion would be buy a CPO Caddy with low miles. Then, of course, you have pay little bit more but it would be piece of mind especially for a college student.

dcarter8
06-27-13, 10:43 PM
Welcome to the DTS Owners Forum. My question is that how could a college student (unless you are an older student & going to a Grad school) afford an expensive luxury vehicle? I know that you are currently driving 2000 model which you purchased a couple of years ago but how did you come to select this luxury out of hundreds of other vehicles? I have a 2006 Luxury II DTS and I really enjoys the luxurious ride. My personal opinion would be buy a CPO Caddy with low miles. Then, of course, you have pay little bit more but it would be piece of mind especially for a college student.
lol Hello
I am only 19 but all through High School I worked nearly full time at Sonic. Me being the cheap person I am, I was able to save a lot of money. I also recently just got hired at a very good paying job after not working my first year. People tell me all the time I need to stay away from Cadillac's at such a young age due to the high maintenance costs etc., but its just something about those Cadillac's I cant stay away from :)

And yes I agree about the lower miles part. I would prefer something around 70K, but I recently seen a recent one for sale from a private party at a decent price which would is pretty important to me since I would also be looking for a warranty at another 2-3k

Thanks for the reply

Stepside
06-28-13, 10:24 AM
2006 DTS is when some changes were made. The head gasket problem was solved years ago.
2006 to 2012 look alike. Any DTS you purchase with 70k plus miles on it . .
you need to look at: (other than tires, air filter, cabin filter, & check all fluid levels & their appearance)
Mechanically - hub bearing aka front wheel bearings & tie rod ends.
Emissions - secondary air injection valve replacement.
These are usually the 1st items that will need replacement. So, unless you know how to do this,
then, have a mechanic inspect said parts.
2009 was the 1st year for Bluetooth.
Luxury Models I, II, III, give better gas mileage than Performance Model.
Oh, one more thing . . find out, if the owner paid extra for the complete bumper to bumper 100k CADILLAC CERTIFIED Warranty.
2006 has a 50k warranty but, in 2007 power train only warranty went to 100k.
The Special CADILLAC CERTIFIED 100K WARRANTY is something offered by Cadillac Dealership Only at extra cost
& is transferrable if it was purchased when car was new.
Cadillac Dealerships also offered that on select used vehicles, when purchased from a Cadillac dealership, but you pay extra for it.
Private party can tell you anything but, does not make it true.
Maybe you'll be able to find a DTS with all the above already replaced.
good luck

jazoo
06-28-13, 09:04 PM
dcarter8. Congrats, that you got hired at a very good paying job. I got hooked on the Caddy as my Dad always preferred Cadillac or other high end GM cars (Olds/Buicks). I would still recommend getting a the replacement vehicle under 50k miles and preferably a CPO vehicle or buy an additional bumper-to-bumper warranty from a reputable source. One more thing to note: Cadillac CPO generally adds 2 years PLUS 20,000 miles to the existing warranty period. Just remember, you may to pay a higher price for a piece of mind.

HartfordGuy
06-29-13, 10:50 AM
The 2006 DTS is rated as having more issues of all this series . 2006-2011. The 2008 is rated "above average" for reliability. That is if you put any faith in Consumer Reports magazine.

Obviously 2006 is a major change year from the previous Devilles and could account for some first year teething issues. Also, those are the oldest and will have accrued the most miles on them by now. So a person with an 06 will be facing maint costs sooner than a person with a 2011.

dcarter8
06-29-13, 08:45 PM
Thank you guys for the responses, it's really appreciated