: Best polish for white diamond tri coat?

reedmtn
06-27-13, 11:45 AM
Tried this on detailing section but no responses. I am interested in hearing from any white diamond owners of older models what wax or polish has worked best for you. I tried a McGuires gold wax and wasnt reallybimpressed with the dull shine left on the car. I prefer a more glossy/ mirror shine. I did see where McGuires has put out a wax for whit cars but was not too sure if it was good for the white diamond.

Submariner409
06-27-13, 12:30 PM
I have used several Pinnacle products as well as Menzerna and others stocked by these guys - Look through www.autogeek.net
(http://www.autogeek.net)

ryannel2003
06-27-13, 12:58 PM
In the middle of a polish and wax right now. Polish is Meguiars Ultimate Polish and wax is Meguiars Gold Class Carnauba Premium Paste Wax. The wax worked beautiful on the dark finish of my previous BMW and this is my first time using polish on my personal car. I'll let you know how it turns out.

hazcaddy
06-27-13, 01:34 PM
On my white diamond tricoat I use the Mother's 3-step process. The carnauba wax 3rd step leaves it looking shiny but the diamond effect disappears for about a week, but then it comes back looking really great.

Tom's Caddy
06-28-13, 10:28 AM
Ice, blue bottle, spray and wipe wax. I have white diamond pearl tricoat. I also use another spray and wipe I forget the name, it is in my trunk but it is raining buckets so it will have to wait. I will let you know as soon as I can.

MoistCabbage
06-28-13, 02:37 PM
If the car is full after waxing, it needs to be polished, ideally by machine. Don't worry about the color of the car, the point of polishing is to create a smooth surface, color is irrelevant, and there's clear coat over the paint anyway.

All things being equal, a carnauba wax will tend to give a "deeper" final shine, and a synthetic wax will give more of a "wet/slick" look. the difference is subtle, but you might want to take that into consideration.

reedmtn
06-28-13, 09:17 PM
Learned a lot from this thread. Moistcabbage was correct in the type of wax to use. I was standing at Pep Boys looking at a variety of waxes and polishes...too many and too confusing. I read these posts and began looking for a synthetic polymer wax. Being a long time believer in Meguiars I called there helpline to inquire which of their many products would be best for my White Diamond Tricoat Caddy paint job. Immediatly the tech stated to perform a 2 step process. Thus I began with Meguiars ultimate Polish pre-wax glaze, followed by Meguiars ultimate paste wax, pure synthetic polymer. WOW...WHAT A SHINE! I will post a picture after I take a hot tub and medication for my sore bones and back. A lesson I learned from the Meguiars tech was that a synthetic polymer is great for a glossy shine on light colored vehicles, a carnuba wax is gteat for shining darker paint cars. Next, I am looking for ideas on what to use in between this work and routine washing so as to not end up in traction from having to repeat this process too often.....any thoughts. Maybe I will try the spray on ICE blue stuff.

TulsaVic
06-28-13, 10:56 PM
Learned a lot from this thread. Moistcabbage was correct in the type of wax to use. I was standing at Pep Boys looking at a variety of waxes and polishes...too many and too confusing. I read these posts and began looking for a synthetic polymer wax. Being a long time believer in Meguiars I called there helpline to inquire which of their many products would be best for my White Diamond Tricoat Caddy paint job. Immediatly the tech stated to perform a 2 step process. Thus I began with Meguiars ultimate Polish pre-wax glaze, followed by Meguiars ultimate paste wax, pure synthetic polymer. WOW...WHAT A SHINE! I will post a picture after I take a hot tub and medication for my sore bones and back. A lesson I learned from the Meguiars tech was that a synthetic polymer is great for a glossy shine on light colored vehicles, a carnuba wax is gteat for shining darker paint cars. Next, I am looking for ideas on what to use in between this work and routine washing so as to not end up in traction from having to repeat this process too often.....any thoughts. Maybe I will try the spray on ICE blue stuff.

My experience with ICE is on the Dark Cherry of my car. The ICE polish left oily smear marks that I could not wipe out (using microfiber cloths). I was VERY dis-satisfied. The ICE spray on detailer, however, was a very good product. Was fast and left a nice deep shine, without first using the ICE polish.

ogbuehi
06-30-13, 01:13 PM
Zaino is the best I've ever used. Mainly because you can apply it once and you don't have to put it on every week. I build it up during the spring and summer months and the paint maintains an excellent shine with just a rinse in the winter time. Plus when I don't feel like washing in the summer, all it needs is a dust off with a micro fiber cloth.

hazcaddy
06-30-13, 04:31 PM
Next, I am looking for ideas on what to use in between this work and routine washing so as to not end up in traction from having to repeat this process too often.....any thoughts.

For the "in-betweens" I have been very satisfied with Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Detailer. You spray on a bit and wipe it on with a microfiber cloth, then wipe it off with a dry microfiber cloth before moving on to the next bit of car. Gives a very nice shine without breaking your back.

Baccerman
07-01-13, 09:37 AM
I use a clay bar to go over the paint and remove coantaminants. Then I use Maguires polish on an orbital polisher, then wash and after it dries I apply Maguires TechWax with a terry bonnet applicator and remove by hand with a microfiber towel.
Clay bar gives great results..

reedmtn
07-01-13, 09:49 AM
Where can one purchase Zaino. I have read many good things about it, but can not find it at our local pep boys, napa, Orielly, or advanced auto parts stores?

ogbuehi
07-01-13, 02:03 PM
You have to order it online. Just google it and the website will come up. As someone who religiously waxed his Cadillacs weekly with traditional waxes like turtle and Meguire's, I'm never going back.

07dtscaddy
07-07-13, 10:49 AM
I just got done using the 3M paint restoration kit. It's a 3 step polish process where you need an orbital polisher. It does great on taking out light scratches but I didn't have the kahonas to use their method for deeper scratches. There are videos on line about how it works and how to do it. Prices vary and just after I got my kit for $35 !Woot had it for $19.

Atavar
08-16-13, 11:29 PM
I just went through trying waxes and what I found for my jet black DTS is that none of the synthetics would do well, they all left an oily sheen with obvious wipe marks. What *did* work really well for me was Zymol (http://www.zymol.com/) natural. the trick with the zymol is to do a small section at a time and get it off before it is dry. The bad thing about Zymol is that it will leave a blue-white residue in cracks and crevices and chips, but boy what a shine!