: Auto lift gate

Robround
06-27-13, 08:27 AM
I was woundering if anyone out there had problems with you lift gate. Mine will open go half way and then go back closed. And then it will try an open again. Some time it will open and then go back closed on its own. Does anyone have any idea what is going on. Please help just don't want one of my kids getting hit or stuck inbetween the gate and the bumper.

Thanks

blackex
06-27-13, 08:40 AM
Sounds like possibly the lift gate struts could be wore out and need to be replaced since they help lift the tail gate when opening. I haven't had this issue before so i'm not entirely sure.

hcvone
06-27-13, 09:42 AM
As said above it sounds like the strut supports, they can be removed and tested, and they are not that expensive if that is the issue

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-27-13, 07:27 PM
Robround,

Welcome to the forum! Sorry that these troubles with your lift gate seem to have brought you here, but it looks like you've already gotten some great input from blackex and hcvone.

If you decide that you want to get this checked into by a service center and need assistance locating a dealership in your area, we're here to help. Please send us your ZIP code.

Sarah (Assisting Laura)
Cadillac Customer Care

LowNslow
06-27-13, 10:17 PM
Mine did the same. struts were TOAST!!! Replaced them with a set off ebay & works just like new.

Open the hatch manually & see if it stays open(be careful, when I did this...almost lost my noggin, hatch came down with vengeance!)