: ATS: CUE APPs

sim3a
06-27-13, 12:36 AM
Hi everyone,

I just got my ATS 2.0T. Im wondering which apps are available to add to cue system. Ive got the standard, on star, navigation, sound, phone, setting, etc... Is there any other ones like text messages (SMS) or anything that the user can download.

Thanks

Hoosier Daddy
06-27-13, 03:06 AM
Hi everyone,

I just got my ATS 2.0T. Im wondering which apps are available to add to cue system. Ive got the standard, on star, navigation, sound, phone, setting, etc... Is there any other ones like text messages (SMS) or anything that the user can download.

Thanks
No. And I wouldn't hold my breath.

As for SMS, you can already have your texts read to you and you can dictate a response IF you are using a Windows phone.

sim3a
06-27-13, 02:53 PM
THanks for the reply. That really sucks, who has a windows phone anyways?

pissedoffwookiee
06-27-13, 03:06 PM
Hi everyone,

Thanks

the last thing i was told on this by a cadillac rep was yes this is coming in a future update. also next year starting with 2015 models CUE will be enhanced with AT&T 4G LTE WIFI and mobile hotspot capability, when i said that sucks for me he told me current CUE cars can be upgraded with autonet, which is currently available but is also currently 3G only. sadly he alluded to future CUE downloading apps from an app store but would not say much about it or how autonet will connect to current CUE cars

here is an early demo of this in an ATS, and in the video they give a timeframe when available:

http://www.viddler.com/v/5058d5d9

bungee91
06-27-13, 04:05 PM

That was awesome!... LOL

pissedoffwookiee
06-27-13, 05:20 PM
That was awesome!... LOL

so true, i've only ever seen two in the wild both receptionists at my work and i think their friendly phone store pushed them into it during some promo, one returned to iphone within 30 days

Yplus
06-27-13, 06:11 PM
CUE Apps are still pretty much vaporware. They did a hack-a-thon a few months back, but since then pretty much radio silence. I got one, maybe two emails from GM Developer. Don't hold your breath....

RippyPartsDept
06-27-13, 06:15 PM
there will be apps for CUE ... it's just a matter of time ... how much time is the $1,000,000 question

Hoosier Daddy
06-27-13, 06:50 PM
You mean aside from the satisfied CUE users who get their texts read to them?

I can't post the millions of names for space and privacy reasons. ;)

NJRonbo
07-09-13, 01:54 PM
I just happened to venture into this thread.

You mean to tell me that CUE expects to put video streamed
content into the vehicles?

Do you think that is actually going to be allowed?

It's bad enough people are distracted by cell phones. Now
they can watch television while driving?

Somehow, I don't see this getting wide approval and I am
sort of scratchin' my head as to why the CUE team even pursued
this option.

Maybe I am missing something?

danscrim
07-09-13, 02:14 PM
Maybe I am missing something?

Many of these features, video playback included, only work when the car is in Park.

glenroebuck
08-07-13, 01:29 PM
I have a windows phone - love it. Just wish there was an onstar app for it.

pissedoffwookiee
08-07-13, 01:59 PM

jokes aside, this is just typical of GM to put in features that only you can use with windows phone leaving the majority of us android/iPhone users out but then won't provide an onstar app for you. or our car being only 10 months on the market and having had a major update in march still not have a radio that is outdone by the one in the Chevy sonic & Spark. it takes years to develop a car so these two have had some significant overlap in development time, sometimes i think we're in OZ or wonderland, because in the real world people who step up to luxury usually get cooler stuff.

Chevy Sparks cooler radio (http://youtu.be/Syh4I5KoJH8)

Chevy Sonics cooler radio (http://youtu.be/Rt2wEwJb3Ek)

OnStar Advisor
08-07-13, 03:03 PM

glenroebuck,

Not to worry, the Windows phone version is in the works. Once we have the release date set I will be sure to let you know. Stay tuned for updates.

-Jessica, OnStar Advisor
Social Media Team

glenroebuck
08-09-13, 09:24 AM
jokes aside, this is just typical of GM to put in features that only you can use with windows phone leaving the majority of us android/iPhone users out but then won't provide an onstar app for you. or our car being only 10 months on the market and having had a major update in march still not have a radio that is outdone by the one in the Chevy sonic & Spark. it takes years to develop a car so these two have had some significant overlap in development time, sometimes i think we're in OZ or wonderland, because in the real world people who step up to luxury usually get cooler stuff.

Chevy Sparks cooler radio (http://youtu.be/Syh4I5KoJH8)

Chevy Sonics cooler radio (http://youtu.be/Rt2wEwJb3Ek)

nothing to do with GM it is a feature in windows phone 8.

Hoosier Daddy
08-09-13, 09:59 AM
True. Hopefully the dinosaur phones (iPhone and Android) will catch up. It's good that Cadillac doesn't waste time making sure legacy devices will work with their current technology.

Just kidding, at least the second sentence. :)

pissedoffwookiee
08-13-13, 11:22 PM

I like that feature, that windows phone has no onstar app and mine does

Hoosier Daddy
08-14-13, 01:06 AM
I like that feature, that windows phone has no onstar app and mine does
I understand the OnStar app for Windows 8 is about to be released. Waiting for some apps is the only downside I see to Windows 8 over the competition for a new phone customer (someone not vested in an OS). I'll put up with that for all the plusses. iPhone and Android will always be around. And if someone has invested time in learning them or their job demands an app that's only on some other platform it makes a lot of sense to stick with them at this time. And you can't rule out MS snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. LoL

pissedoffwookiee
08-15-13, 03:43 PM
I understand the OnStar app for Windows 8 is about to be released. Waiting for some apps is the only downside I see to Windows 8 over the competition for a new phone customer (someone not vested in an OS). I'll put up with that for all the plusses. iPhone and Android will always be around. And if someone has invested time in learning them or their job demands an app that's only on some other platform it makes a lot of sense to stick with them at this time. And you can't rule out MS snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. LoL

jokes aside, i really do think windows phone 8 is beautiful, really nice job, waiting for the ecosystem to catch up is more pain than i'm willing to bear (you are a more patient man than I) and my favorite things about iPhone is my phones integration with my apple tv, when i buy an app it appears on 5 devices at once(my and my wifes iPhone5's and all 3 of our ipads) and lastly and most importantly facetime.....let me elaborate, facetime is no big deal to me but to my wife having her mother facetime my 2 year old daughter is precious to her, and whats precious to me is not having to support a 76 year old with skype, and setting up accounts for her, I already have to log passwords for her because anything she does that requires an account sucks for me because it always goes south or needs updating or whatever and she never knows her password.

caryjohn
08-18-13, 12:39 PM
I just took delivery of my wife's ATS and was disappointed to learn the Navigation feature was not installed on her car. I learned later it was an option, but it looks like it is a factory install one. Has anyone checked with their service department and gotten an answer to having them install it locally? I called the CUE Help line and the gal told me to "buy another car" as the way to get navigation! I am still doing research and will share whatever I find and would like to hear from others who may have the same need or different results.

BricksATX
08-18-13, 03:46 PM
Car manufacturers, GM included, need to stop nickel and diming customers on software. With a system like CUE that is theoretically upgradeable and extensible via software updates and third party apps, I expect some amount of future proofing from an infotainment perspective. That includes the ability to take advantage of navigation options other that the OEM navigation. On my smart devices, I have a number of choices when it comes to navigation, media players, weather apps, etc. Why should my "smart car" be any different?

pissedoffwookiee
08-19-13, 05:51 PM
Car manufacturers, GM included, need to stop nickel and diming customers on software. With a system like CUE that is theoretically upgradeable and extensible via software updates and third party apps, I expect some amount of future proofing from an infotainment perspective. That includes the ability to take advantage of navigation options other that the OEM navigation. On my smart devices, I have a number of choices when it comes to navigation, media players, weather apps, etc. Why should my "smart car" be any different?

they're not nickel and diming in this instance, the bad guy here is the GIS (Geographical information systems) industry, they charge an astronomical amount for maps, they always have, in the past you paid an average of $2K to get nav, and that high cost was split between adding a screen to the car and the maps, this has gone down as more cars come with screens in a base configuration, and map updates still cost $300-$500 for cars. the apparent inexpensiveness of phone maps isn't from the data not have the expense to gather, it does, google spends an astronomical amount gathering this data, and have paid dearly with some mishaps (WIFI mapping, Street view picture overlay privacy concerns in europe) but we pay for this in the privacy we give up, allowing them to know where we are for advertising purposes.

----------

I just took delivery of my wife's ATS and was disappointed to learn the Navigation feature was not installed on her car. I learned later it was an option, but it looks like it is a factory install one. Has anyone checked with their service department and gotten an answer to having them install it locally? I called the CUE Help line and the gal told me to "buy another car" as the way to get navigation! I am still doing research and will share whatever I find and would like to hear from others who may have the same need or different results.

Sorry to hear this happened to you, presumably when the CUE App store opens up, we may have an option to add maps to our cars, either with some upgrade, or with the new Chevy sonic style your phone feeds maps to the car app...otherwise if the car is new enough and you have a good enough relationship with your dealer maybe you can talk them into swapping the car out for a nicer one with nav

RippyPartsDept
08-19-13, 05:54 PM
GM nav map updates only cost $200
(historically speaking... CUE systems haven't had an update yet)

pissedoffwookiee
08-19-13, 06:26 PM

decent price seems to have come down from the DVD era, dont know about others but Kia is $495 for the SD card, maybe this price is just for updates, GMC intelilink is $795 to add maps to intelilink otherwise same 7" touch screen.

Hoosier Daddy
08-19-13, 07:15 PM
A salesman told me the CUE NAV map updates were free for the warranty period. But since over half the things he told me I knew to be false, I figured he was probably wrong about that.

RippyPartsDept
08-20-13, 11:20 AM
A salesman told me the CUE NAV map updates were free for the warranty period. But since over half the things he told me I knew to be false, I figured he was probably wrong about that.

that would be a nice departure from business as usual for GM

slepr
08-21-13, 08:04 AM
Onstar app for WP came out yesterday. Works nicely.

Hoosier Daddy
08-21-13, 09:55 AM
Onstar app for WP came out yesterday. Works nicely.
What are you doing for the callouses? I installed it early yesterday and you had to accept an EULA. Okay, fine but its had to be the length of 50 legal size sheets of paper. I was scrolling for 5 minutes to get to the accept button at the bottom. Then up popped the privacy policy which was almost as long. Now I have a big callous on my scrolling finger. I guess it will wear off since you only have to accept once.

I think its poorly optimized but its still great to have it. It takes a long time to initialize and the whole time shows a bright white screen that used 2% of my battery waiting. LoL.

But the worst part was my wife didn't appreciate me setting off the horn in the garage while she was asleep.

pissedoffwookiee
08-21-13, 04:21 PM
What are you doing for the callouses? I installed it early yesterday and you had to accept an EULA. Okay, fine but its had to be the length of 50 legal size sheets of paper. I was scrolling for 5 minutes to get to the accept button at the bottom. Then up popped the privacy policy which was almost as long. Now I have a big callous on my scrolling finger. I guess it will wear off since you only have to accept once.

I think its poorly optimized but its still great to have it. It takes a long time to initialize and the whole time shows a bright white screen that used 2% of my battery waiting. LoL.

But the worst part was my wife didn't appreciate me setting off the horn in the garage while she was asleep.

premature my friend, you needed to wait till she was in the garage with the car, my mother in-law just got a terrain and when she last visited i set up her mobile app. she had lent her car to her daughter/son in-law back in ND while visiting us and to test the app we kept starting the car and setting off the horn and sent turn by turn directions to the statue of liberty. freaked out my brother in law who grew up farming and ranching he was about to disconnect the battery when his wife called her mom....i'm surprised my wife and her mom didn't break any ribs they were laughing so hard.

slepr
08-23-13, 10:36 AM

Yes, the initial policies were very, very long. But sadly, that is the state of our wonderful, litigious country. The app doesn't take long to initialize for me and I don't have the bright white screen either. It takes a short wait for the app to gather the data from the vehicle but I expected that to occur (same short delay that was evident when my salesman showed me the app on his IPhone). Now, seeing my tire pressures just a couple of weeks after routine service (including tire rotation) I need to locate someplace with nitrogen to fill them up.

Soundsystem75
09-16-13, 12:36 PM
Found this looking for an SDK....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeQ473VrBe0

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AeQ473VrBe0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Chris Shillinger
09-23-13, 05:12 PM
I was at the new 2014 CTS Ride and Drive event. Of course I had to peak, on the second home screen, there was an icon for "Apps." They may be here sooner than we think! Then again, IDK how long until they offer the update for 2013 CUE owners.

mechevar
09-24-13, 07:56 PM
Personally, I'm a developer and everything looks pretty straightforward with Eclipse to build out an app. The problem is, as a customer I don't want new apps. All I want is something that communicates with existing apps on my phone. In other words, building a bridge to something like Waze. I don't want to reinvent an app like Waze, I just want to use it on the screen.

pkadanec
09-25-13, 09:25 AM
You mean like what Apple has done already with "eyes free"?

RippyPartsDept
09-25-13, 01:30 PM
How hard do you think it will be for Waze to be ported to CUE? it's a linux system after all ...

pkadanec
09-26-13, 11:26 AM
GM would need to start thinking like a real technology company, not a car company.....

Soundsystem75
10-03-13, 11:01 PM
It would be much harder to sell GPS systems if you could just AirPlay / Twonky your phone to a screen. I tottaly agree with you, because I'll take my Android Google Maps navigation chick over any GPS chick, any day of the week. I'm a one women kind of guy.

I'm not holding my breath for anything more than the "Vaporware" described. Still. I'll take a Vaporware Soundcloud app.

----------

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/10/03/google_waze_ftc_clearance/

Looks like Waze just became Google Maps...

Chris Shillinger
10-09-13, 04:25 PM
I take back my previous statement. We got a 2014 CTS and there is not "App Icon." So dissapointing.

inspectorudy
10-09-13, 07:52 PM
From what I just read about the new CTS Vsport no one will notice the CUE system's shortcomings. What a great car. Look out Germans and Japanese sport car makers. I would trade my present '13 engine and CUE for that twin turbo in the new CTSVsport!