: Grind reverse, anyone???

baf_ctsv
02-13-05, 09:14 AM
So, in searching for reverse this morning, with the cutch to the floor. I ground reverse with the most hideous noise. Anyone else hear/feel this ...

Thanks

03Z06Vette
02-13-05, 10:16 AM
I ground reverse trying to downshift to 5th out of 6th once. I thought that all Tremec 6 speeds had a lockout solenoid to prevent this????

SBONES
02-13-05, 10:20 AM
i grind first, pop out of gear alot, and sometimes i cant even get it in. the gear that is. I personally think that the tranny is the biggest peice of shit i ever drove. You will never see any european car make that much noise. not the tranny for you picky people, the driveshaft.

homer403
02-13-05, 10:57 AM
I have the opposite problem, trying to get it into reverse:nono:

erp2863
02-13-05, 11:04 AM
There is a lockout into reverse when you are trying to go 6 to 5. You probably didn't make it into 5th, and grinded 5th. I've done it before.

The trick with reverse is to pump the clutch a few times and work your way through a couple of the gears with the clutch in before trying reverse. Usually takes more time in the morning when the car isn't warmed up.Eric

baf_ctsv
02-13-05, 11:29 AM
I agree that this trans sucks. Too bad since the new Vette is really smooth in comparison.

i grind first, pop out of gear alot, and sometimes i cant even get it in. the gear that is. I personally think that the tranny is the biggest peice of shit i ever drove. You will never see any european car make that much noise. not the tranny for you picky people, the driveshaft.

Barca10128
02-13-05, 11:31 AM
Shifting into reverse is often problematic. This is particularly the case when it is cold. I am going to take the car to the dealer to have it looked at.

willsctsv
02-13-05, 11:44 AM
Very common, I had a jetta that used to do the samething, but if I put in the clutch and put the car in second, and immediately into reverse this never happened. I guess it something to do with the syncro's.
I noticed the V grinds reverse when pulling a 3 point U turn, I make the turn, then go try to grab reverse, you have to wait for the RPM's to come down or you will grind.
If it is very cold you may grind also, if you are trying to shift to quickly. I baby the tranny when cold anyway. It's better for the syncro's.

Barca10128
02-13-05, 05:12 PM
Very common, I had a jetta that used to do the samething, but if I put in the clutch and put the car in second, and immediately into reverse this never happened. I guess it something to do with the syncro's.
I just tried this and it worked. I tried to go into reverse and it would not go, so I put it into 2nd firts and it then slid nicely into reverse. thanks.

ahahnu
02-13-05, 09:23 PM
Did it twice going from 6th to 5th, but I feel it was because I was on the highway V1 plugged in. As with my VW as well if you put the trans in 2nd then go for reverse or 1st you will kiss your tuff shifting problems g-bye.

FXDWG2
02-13-05, 11:22 PM
Since I put Redline D4 ATF in the transmission I find it easier to find reverse.

Vrocks
02-13-05, 11:31 PM
Any grinding problems and odd noises are signs of damage; you should have the transmission checked. Unless of course the gear lube temperature is low, in which case grinding will occur if you try to shift quickly, (I think StealthV said Mobil synthetic ATF worked better under cold temps, but once things warm up there's no appreciable difference) my car does it until it's around 70F.

The main problem with the Tremec 6 speed is the occasional 1st gear lock out, such as, when you roll to a stop or first start the car. Fortunately, that hasn't happened to me for a month or two. Of course the transmission shouldn't be popping out of gear, just make sure the gear was fully engaged to begin with. It popped out of 3rd on me one time (immediately after I let pressure off the stick), it felt like 3rd was engaged but it really wasn't.

lal373
02-15-05, 11:28 AM
After hitting ~3k miles on the V, I began to have the problem of occasionally popping out of gear when I put it in reverse. It got to the point where to back out of a parking spot I would have to let up on the clutch a fraction just to get it rolling -- if I let it up too much and applied any torque, it would pop out of gear with a scary clunk. I brought it into Moore Cadillac, who could not fix it, so they replaced the transmission two weeks ago. Of course I was very nervous about having them do it, assuming they had little or no experience with the manual transmission. They seem to have done a great job -- to my pleasant surprise, not only is the reverse problem gone, but I have found the shifting to be clearly smoother in all gears.

trekster
02-15-05, 12:04 PM
i grind first, pop out of gear alot, and sometimes i cant even get it in. the gear that is. I personally think that the tranny is the biggest peice of shit i ever drove. You will never see any european car make that much noise. not the tranny for you picky people, the driveshaft. agreed I have the same problems you describe.