: Northstar maintenance requirements - 2005 Deville

MANLEYONE
06-26-13, 07:45 PM
I recently purchased My first North Star (2005 DeVille) with 94K. I was wondering if I need to perform any maintenance like Timing Chain or belt, and other things at certain mileage intervals? The car runs and drives great and I want to keep it maintained. Any advice would be appreciated. I've driven Cadillacs for the past 40 years and have had good service from all of them and I usually drive them into the 200K bracket.

vincentm
06-26-13, 08:04 PM
Change the oil, and coolant, plugs and wires and drive it like you stole it.

Submariner409
06-26-13, 08:19 PM
No timing belt. 3 timing chains - forever. 120,000 miles ++ - timing chain slipper and tensioner nylon faces. Separate water pump drive belt and tensioner - the tensioner pulley is a weak (not extremely high mileage) point.

Read your owner's manual. Follow the guidance there and in these forums and DO NOT try to "make it better" by adding snake oils, magic potions, gas-saving widgets and the latest crankcase cleaner of the moment.

Read through every sticky post at the top of every forum of interest: That's why they're "stickys" - the information is critical and never goes out of date. Pay attention to ALL the stickys in Engines, Northstar Performance. At your leisure, study - study - the entire Cadillac Technical Archive way up ^^^ in the top black bar. Lots of info there, and you'll see questions in these forums from people who never read the Archive for background.

Any oddball questions ??? Google something - anything - preceded by "cadillac forums ................" - like "cadillac forums 2005 deville water pump drive belt tensioner".

Now, update your profile to show the current car, or you'll get all sorts of weird answers for the wrong vehicle.

Ranger
06-26-13, 08:35 PM
Change the oil, and coolant, plugs and wires and drive it like you stole it.
COP ignition. It has no plug wires.

vincentm
06-26-13, 08:36 PM
No timing belt. 3 timing chains - forever. 120,000 miles ++ - timing chain slipper and tensioner nylon faces. Separate water pump drive belt and tensioner - the tensioner pulley is a weak (not extremely high mileage) point.

Read your owner's manual. Follow the guidance there and in these forums and DO NOT try to "make it better" by adding snake oils, magic potions, gas-saving widgets and the latest crankcase cleaner of the moment.

Read through every sticky post at the top of every forum of interest: That's why they're "stickys" - the information is critical and never goes out of date. Pay attention to ALL the stickys in Engines, Northstar Performance. At your leisure, study - study - the entire Cadillac Technical Archive way up ^^^ in the top black bar. Lots of info there, and you'll see questions in these forums from people who never read the Archive for background.

Any oddball questions ??? Google something - anything - preceded by "cadillac forums ................" - like "cadillac forums 2005 deville water pump drive belt tensioner".

Now, update your profile to show the current car, or you'll get all sorts of weird answers for the wrong vehicle.

:yeah:

Avoid all the fuzzy wuzzy feel good magic potion crap

maeng9981
06-26-13, 11:40 PM
2005 should be one of the trouble free years if you do regular maintenance.

Submariner409
06-27-13, 07:07 AM
From his post, I believe the OP's "maintenance" is going to come from a dealership or local shop - If he does not know what the engine is and how it's built and where to find recommended maintenance schedules, he's already lost in the complex FWD Northstar electronic car world.

As I posted, a day or so of homework in CF and a half-dozen of its forums would be a necessary primer for a new Cadillac owner. (ANY "new" Cadilllac owner.)

CadillacLuke24
06-27-13, 01:55 PM
Coolant: every 3 years, green or orange works
Oil: 10W30, 7.5 quarts, every time the OLM on your dash tells you to.
87 octane works great as it is the required fuel grade.

Submariner409
06-27-13, 02:14 PM
His owner's manual recommends 5W-30 engine oils - with 10W-30 permitted when ambient temps are above 32F. The car has the newer (2000 and later) roller cam engine.

Was it 2005 or 2006 that went back to "premium fuel recommended" ? (and for 2005, is there a difference in the recommendations for the 4 models ?)