: HT 4100 turns but will not start unless i spray starting fluid in the Carborator.

busayman
06-26-13, 05:10 PM
Just bought a 1984 Coupe deville ht4100. She turns over but I get no gas. she was parked for over a year with 1/2 tank fuel. I dropped some sea foam in the tank, sprayed some starting fluid in the carb. she starts with the starting fluid but then stalls when I stop spraying... when I have my son push the accel pedal with ignition on no gas comes up into the carb. changed the fuel filter, checked the fuses and now I am stumped. Just bought a fuel pump but don't want to put it in if it's going to be a waste of time (i.e not the problem). Please advise.

aeronca36606
06-26-13, 10:45 PM
Check for fuel pressure at the TBI unit. The fuel pump should come on for a few seconds each time you cycle the key on and off. You will not see fuel spray in when you pump the accelerater like you would with a carburetor.

Submariner409
06-27-13, 08:35 AM
The engine is throttlebody fuel injected - entirely different setup, fuel pump operation, priming, operation from carburetion.

The TBI experts in here will get you started.

cadillac_al
06-27-13, 10:50 AM
Check fuel pressure and read the codes. The sticky at the top of this section explains how to get the codes. Post them with their definitions if you need more help. Go easy on the starting fluid. I never use the stuff except on diesel trucks. FWIW I never use seafoam either.

Graham T.
07-20-13, 05:14 AM
I had the same problem with my 85 Eldorado. It was the fuel pump which is in the tank, cost about $40 and
took me an hour to change. Then started in about 2 seconds.