: Need a DVD function update

drdsgolf
02-12-05, 08:37 PM
OK, now that the experts have cracked the code and allowed us to play DVD's while driving, it's clear I'm not going to watch movies. What I am enjoying are concert DVD's. Right now I have Toto's 25th anniversary concert, Live in Amsterdam, playing. James Taylor live at Beacon Hill is another sensational DVD as is Michael MacDonald and Friends. The sound is of course CD quality and I just look at the screen from time to time as I am driving, not much different from looking at the dash or radio. But I really want to be able to access the menu so I can go to a particular track. The only way to do that now is pull over, put on the brake and start over. Surely one of you technically savvy magicians can figure this out. Anyone, anyone, Buhler, Buhler???

ds

DgtalPimp
02-12-05, 08:57 PM
OK, now that the experts have cracked the code and allowed us to play DVD's while driving, it's clear I'm not going to watch movies. What I am enjoying are concert DVD's. Right now I have Toto's 25th anniversary concert, Live in Amsterdam, playing. James Taylor live at Beacon Hill is another sensational DVD as is Michael MacDonald and Friends. The sound is of course CD quality and I just look at the screen from time to time as I am driving, not much different from looking at the dash or radio. But I really want to be able to access the menu so I can go to a particular track. The only way to do that now is pull over, put on the brake and start over. Surely one of you technically savvy magicians can figure this out. Anyone, anyone, Buhler, Buhler???

ds

Toto????????? :drinker

Alright troops let figure this hack out so we can provide menu avaiablity for the much needed Toto music.

darvish
02-13-05, 09:50 AM
If it were Deep Purple or Cream...... i would understand the need for the hack,,,,, but TOTO??.... No way

Bill

drdsgolf
02-13-05, 11:31 AM
I should have known that exposing my tastes in music would invite ridicule and contempt. I'm guessing you guys are not familiar with Toto. If you were you would know that they had a far greater impact on popular music than a hack group like Deep Purple. I don't think that one in fifty people could name or hum a Deep Purple cut. Off the top of my head I would bet that five out of ten would know Africa, Rosanna, and Hold the Line. I suggest you check out the very DVD I mentioned, musically one of the best DVD concerts discs I have seen. Meawhile, hack the code for the rest of us.

ds

drdsgolf
02-13-05, 11:36 AM
P.S., now Cream, that was a special group. When I was in college in 1967 in Boston, we contracted for them to do a concert in our Gym in the middle of winter. We got a call at about 10 pm from Indianapolis that they were stuck in a snowstorm and wanted to know if we still wanted them to come and play, but they wouldn't be able to arrive until about 3 am. Not much of a question for a college crowd. They showed up at 3 am and played as I recall until 6 am. I am going to find a Cream DVD--I believe one exists.

ds

thebigjimsho
02-13-05, 11:38 AM
Hack the code? I'm betting someone inside GM let on to the little secret we already have. If it were a cracking the code scenario, I think it would be known.

It looks like you're going to have to see your Toto DVD one wonderfully syrupy track at a time.

drdsgolf
02-13-05, 12:34 PM
Hack the code? I'm betting someone inside GM let on to the little secret we already have. If it were a cracking the code scenario, I think it would be known.

It looks like you're going to have to see your Toto DVD one wonderfully syrupy track at a time.

I know, just wishful thinking. Is that the correct spelling of syrupy? As for Toto, I say, Hold the line, love isn't always on time.

ds

wildwhl
02-13-05, 12:44 PM
:hmm: Toto...OK, I won't bash too hard here. Leppard, AC/DC, Hagar or Floyd and I'd be all over it :sneaky: Even for a little Dire Straits, sure, but Toto? OK...just have a little fun here.

By the way, the V isn't much of a "pop culture" car, as I'm sure less than 1 in 100 people know they exist at this point :lildevil:

I've spent some time last year searching for just the hack you're requesting - and have decided that without some "inside information" (Foreigner to you) we won't be able to do anything more than "hold the line". But don't worry, ds, "you've got a friend" and I'm sure someone else on this board digs Toto, and I'll even confess I'd probably enjoy that Taylor album. Just be prepared for the "Steamroller" of abuse for admitting it :cool:

thebigjimsho
02-13-05, 01:16 PM
:hmm: Toto...OK, I won't bash too hard here. Leppard, AC/DC, Hagar or Floyd and I'd be all over it :sneaky: Even for a little Dire Straits, sure, but Toto? OK...just have a little fun here.

By the way, the V isn't much of a "pop culture" car, as I'm sure less than 1 in 100 people know they exist at this point :lildevil:

I've spent some time last year searching for just the hack you're requesting - and have decided that without some "inside information" (Foreigner to you) we won't be able to do anything more than "hold the line". But don't worry, ds, "you've got a friend" and I'm sure someone else on this board digs Toto, and I'll even confess I'd probably enjoy that Taylor album. Just be prepared for the "Steamroller" of abuse for admitting it :cool:
Toto is etched into my mind forever. I have little snippets of memories in my squash that I reflect on from time to time.

I remember it now, 1983, Lowell, Massachusetts. I remember sitting in my dad's Volkwagen Rabbit with my mom and little brother. We were at the unemployment office and my father was there to pick up his check. And Africa on the radio. Ahhhhhhhh, the memories.................

SBONES
02-13-05, 02:37 PM
i have metallica and pearl jam concert dvd's......toto = LOL

DgtalPimp
02-13-05, 03:03 PM
I should have known that exposing my tastes in music would invite ridicule and contempt. I'm guessing you guys are not familiar with Toto. If you were you would know that they had a far greater impact on popular music than a hack group like Deep Purple. I don't think that one in fifty people could name or hum a Deep Purple cut. Off the top of my head I would bet that five out of ten would know Africa, Rosanna, and Hold the Line. I suggest you check out the very DVD I mentioned, musically one of the best DVD concerts discs I have seen. Meawhile, hack the code for the rest of us.

ds
drdsgolf
I would like to apologize for the delivery of my words. I did not mean them as ridicule. I believe we all have to have different taste for this planet to work. Again I am sorry if I offended.

Now with that said, I have (listen to) several kinds of music. While waiting for a tow truck I listened/watched Metallica S&M. when I got a flat a couple mounts back. The sound was great, but I would like a tighter deeper bass.

Cheers to us all having different taste. :cheers:

drdsgolf
02-13-05, 07:19 PM
Thanks Pimp, I appreciate the kind words. I certainly don't want to be thin-skinned. There's no real accounting for musical taste. I was a kid in the 50's when I learned rock and roll, Presley, Bill Haley, Dion and the Belmonts, went to college 64-68 cut my teeth on Beatles, Stones, and Motown. I think the 70's were probably the most productive decade, Eagles, Doobies, Stevie Wonder etc. I have grown kids out in the world (32 and 29) and teenagers still at home(16 and 14). I have had to try to deal with each new wave and style. I probably got lost when music stopped sounding like music to me. It seems like a desert to me now--I can't even watch the grammies. My real test of music is whether anyone will remember it in 5 or 10 years, let alone 40. Sorry to all your Metallica fans, but I don't think anyone will be humming it in the future--no classics really. By the way, I am really enjoying Earth, Wind, and Fire live in Japan DVD (circa 1990) in my V today.

ds

BowenCT
02-13-05, 07:27 PM
Sorry to all your Metallica fans, but I don't think anyone will be humming it in the future--no classics really.

wow...........speechless.

DgtalPimp
02-13-05, 07:49 PM
Sorry to all your Metallica fans, but I don't think anyone will be humming it in the future--no classics really.

I think classics are defined when they stand the time test.

D148L0
02-13-05, 08:01 PM
Bash AC/DC??? :eek: You wouldn't dare... for all what is sacred in rock, you wouldn't...

Marilyn Monroe is a "pop culture" icon, and there was only one...
:yup:

lawfive
02-13-05, 08:04 PM
I don't think that one in fifty people could name or hum a Deep Purple cut.ds

Are you kidding??? How about, "Nobody can defeat my car..."

lawfive
02-13-05, 08:17 PM
I probably shouldn't reveal this but... Usually 5 out of 6 CD slots are full of Steely Dan and Donald ***en, and the 6th slot is the revolving one that gets the taste du jour a la Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Weather Report, Manheim Steamroller, Weezer, The Ramones, David Bowie, The Pretenders, etc. Or, when my wife's in the car, Slot 6 gets Springsteen or Hal Ketcham.

Yeah, Steely Dan. Just wanted to take some of the heat off the Toto guy for a while.

Jerry "Bad Sneakers and a Pina Colada" Anderson

wildwhl
02-13-05, 09:06 PM
Bash AC/DC??? :eek: You wouldn't dare... for all what is sacred in rock, you wouldn't...:

I think my intent was misunderstood, for of course I wouldn't bash any of the bands listed. That mention was meant to state that FOR those bands I'd be all over finding the hack!

You are correct, for all that is sacred in rock..."we salute you" :drinker:

And yes, I can respect and appreciate ds music taste. Toto is a fine music choice, I was just having a little :histeric:

I apologize if my tongue in cheek approach was misunderstood :hide:

ctsvett
02-13-05, 09:09 PM
I have an iPod with 37 gigs of music on it that is usually on shuffle..

I am likely to have a Neil diamond, fogerty, or Grateful dead song followed by NWA, Tupac, or Motley crew, metallica or even a POP song.. GASP....

Bottom line: I listen to everything!

Only thing not on there: Opera.

I am currently building a Driving songs list. I will post the list when I finish... that should make a good thread.

Reed
http://www.cadillacfaq.com

wildwhl
02-13-05, 10:08 PM
make that list downloadable aka imix or something of the sort :)

benjet
02-13-05, 10:13 PM
Only thing not on there: Opera.

You go something against OPRAH??:want:

oh wait you said Opera, whoops ;) :banghead: :tease: :histeric::grouphug:

drdsgolf
02-13-05, 10:39 PM
I probably shouldn't reveal this but... Usually 5 out of 6 CD slots are full of Steely Dan and Donald ***en, and the 6th slot is the revolving one that gets the taste du jour a la Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Weather Report, Manheim Steamroller, Weezer, The Ramones, David Bowie, The Pretenders, etc. Or, when my wife's in the car, Slot 6 gets Springsteen or Hal Ketcham.

Yeah, Steely Dan. Just wanted to take some of the heat off the Toto guy for a while.

Jerry "Bad Sneakers and a Pina Colada" Anderson

Just for you lawfive, I believe (and my belief is not just my own but is shared by many more expert than I am) that the album "Aja" by Steely Dan is the most technically and musically perfect album ever made. I have a music DVD which is just how the album was put together, interviews with Don ***en, Walter Becker, Michael MacDonald etc.

ds

wildwhl
02-13-05, 10:43 PM
So, to pull this thread back on topic for drdsgolf sake and everyone else -

Anyone know of a good approach to finding the hack/solution to track advancing while driving? Certainly there must be a rather simple method of fooling the DVD/NAV into believing the e-brake is on...anyone that has done the system transplant know?

Better yet, can it be done with one of the software tools (Tech2 or?)?

Sandyfoot-V
02-13-05, 11:07 PM
Not that I’m a Deep Purple fan, but the four chord slide of Smoke on the Water is the first tune any fledgling guitarist learns to play; indelible. You publicly admit listening to Toto? In the locker room after football practice in college I once asked my teammates if they too used facial moisturizer after showering—dead silence. :o Some things you just don’t share. :)

Oh, and I have no good hacks.

ctsvett
02-14-05, 01:25 AM
If you guys remember, Clinton found the DVD hack just trying to press buttons... Someone needs to systematically do that or call the manufacturer pretending to be GM.

Just a thought.

Reed
http://www.cadillacfaq.com

drdsgolf
02-14-05, 01:51 AM
Not that I’m a Deep Purple fan, but the four chord slide of Smoke on the Water is the first tune any fledgling guitarist learns to play; indelible. You publicly admit listening to Toto? In the locker room after football practice in college I once asked my teammates if they too used facial moisturizer after showering—dead silence. :o Some things you just don’t share. :)

Oh, and I have no good hacks.

Sandyfoot-V: I'm pretty far along in life to worry about my manhood.

ds

P.S. I do use Clinique moisturizing lotion as after-shave; my wife gave me some to try, it's terrific. I can take the silence.

Sandyfoot-V
02-14-05, 07:07 AM
Drdsgolf,

Just ribbing you-- all in good fun.

My manhood-challenge story was seventeen years ago. I still use Purpose Dual Treatment moisturizer with SPF 15, “dermatologist recommended”. :)

See…

NIK
02-14-05, 09:52 AM
OK - start the flames! Five out of my 6 CD's are of the Rat Pack (mainly Sinatra and Dean Martin.) Now those songs are classics! It's already been 40 years since they were first released and they will be listened to and bought 40 years from now. In addition, I also have some Frank Sinatra concerts and the Dean Martin Variety Show DVD's available and ready to play for those times I'm sitting in the "V" and waiting for my wife.

D148L0
02-14-05, 12:22 PM
I think my intent was misunderstood, for of course I wouldn't bash any of the bands listed. That mention was meant to state that FOR those bands I'd be all over finding the hack!

You are correct, for all that is sacred in rock..."we salute you" :drinker:

And yes, I can respect and appreciate ds music taste. Toto is a fine music choice, I was just having a little :histeric:

I apologize if my tongue in cheek approach was misunderstood :hide:
By no means! Just having a little fun, too...
I'd bash on Def, even when I like their music.

trukk
02-14-05, 12:29 PM
...Right now I have Toto's 25th anniversary concert, Live in Amsterdam, playing. James Taylor live at Beacon Hill is another sensational DVD as is Michael MacDonald and Friends...

ds

Not your fathers Cadillac...

But it is your father's music. :sneaky:

J/K

Different strokes for different folkes.

I have Wu-Tang, Minor Threat and BDP in my changer right now. I'm sure many will think I'm hokey for listening to this.

-Chris

trukk
02-14-05, 12:36 PM
BTW,

I think Toto hit their Zenith when they did the excelent soundtrack for DUNE.

:sneaky:

-Chris

Koooop
02-14-05, 03:39 PM
I keep Highway to Hell, Santana and the 3 CD collection of the "Best of the '80s" in mine.

I guess I need to look up how to run the DVD while driving, I like the idea of playing concerts on road trips. I get to run to Vegas in a few weeks.

Yeehaa

DgtalPimp
02-14-05, 03:56 PM
Santana would be great for a road trip.

drdsgolf
02-14-05, 05:23 PM
Not your fathers Cadillac...

But it is your father's music. :sneaky:

J/K

Different strokes for different folkes.

I have Wu-Tang, Minor Threat and BDP in my changer right now. I'm sure many will think I'm hokey for listening to this.

-Chris

Chris: I'm 58, Toto was almost after my time. My Dad's music was Cole Porter and Hoagie Carmichael, later Sinatra. I am enjoying everyone's different tastes in music. I'm not actually a Toto fan, but their concert DVD is quite good musically. James Taylor, Stevie Wonder, Beatles, Stones, Doobies, Eagles, Chicago, Kenny Loggins, Steely Dan--that's more my core group.

ds

Rickerbucks
02-14-05, 07:44 PM
Eminem, Gwen Stefany, Yello, Darude and a home made disk in there right now.

I just got the Blue Man Group DVD. On the B side they have three tracks in 5.1 DTS for the home theatre.

Unfreakin believable quality sound. BLEW me away how good it was on my home theatre system.

Sometimes 'listen' to Family guy sitcom on the DVD when driving.

02-14-05, 08:18 PM
Am I the only one who keeps the Led Zep CD in the car at all times to allow passengers to "live" the ad blitz? (no coment on the rest of the collection; this is a tough crowd). besides for my ten bucks a month I'll listen to that XM radio, dammit.......whether I like it or not.

Though with this weather, it's been long time been a long time been a long....yatta yatta yatta.......

d

lawfive
02-14-05, 08:40 PM
Just for you lawfive, I believe (and my belief is not just my own but is shared by many more expert than I am) that the album "Aja" by Steely Dan is the most technically and musically perfect album ever made. I have a music DVD which is just how the album was put together, interviews with Don ***en, Walter Becker, Michael MacDonald etc.

ds

:yeah: I haven't read far enough down to know if I'm pulling the thread off topic again, or if it's still off topic. Apologize in advance... Aja is what I started with, then I worked backwards plus got everything afterwords. I had never heard so many different chords on one album before, let alone in one song. Got me into jazz. The downside of perfection is how long it takes them to put out new ablums.

Jerry "Kiss the checkout girls goodbye" Anderson

lawfive
02-14-05, 08:42 PM
P.S. I do use Clinique moisturizing lotion as after-shave; my wife gave me some to try, it's terrific. I can take the silence.

Yo tambien. I started out using the more masculine Clinique M lotion, but found out that my wife's Clinique is exactly the same stuff, and cheaper.

What were we talking about again? :p

lawfive
02-14-05, 08:49 PM
Am I the only one who keeps the Led Zep CD in the car at all times to allow passengers to "live" the ad blitz?

Hahaha! No, but I've thought about how cool it would be to get a little Page licks and Plant wail every time you start the car up... or, better still, every time you hit WOT...

azombie
02-14-05, 09:27 PM
so I guess mine is the only V out there pumping Tupac and notorious B.I.G. at ungodly decibles. I guess it is up to me to get rid of that old guy caddy image...a ganstas gotta do what a ganstas gotta do i guess...

BowenCT
02-14-05, 09:44 PM
so I guess mine is the only V out there pumping..................at ungodly decibles.

Did you upgrade the schwag factory system to attain said "ungodly decibles"? Cause the crap these things come with from the factory aren't capable of producing "ungodly decibles", unfortunately.

drdsgolf
02-14-05, 11:13 PM
Yo tambien. I started out using the more masculine Clinique M lotion, but found out that my wife's Clinique is exactly the same stuff, and cheaper.

What were we talking about again? :p

You're killing me lawfive. I laughed so hard at your post. Yo fricking tambien!! My wife taught me Clinique about 12 years ago. I bought the manly "M" lotion once, but the next time the Clinique girl told me to not waste my money and just buy the larger jar at the women's counter, common known as the "dramatically different moisturizing lotion". Meanwhile my face is like a baby's skin--I don't know why more men haven't given up the Aqua Velva torture for Clinique.
Led Zepplin, simply wonderful, so ahead of their time. The guitar alone is worth the price of admission. I'm looking for a Led Zepplin concert DVD next.
What were we talking about?

ds

trukk
02-15-05, 09:48 AM
so I guess mine is the only V out there pumping Tupac and notorious B.I.G. at ungodly decibles. I guess it is up to me to get rid of that old guy caddy image...a ganstas gotta do what a ganstas gotta do i guess...

No you are not.

Old School hip hop (I consider mid 80's to mid 90's old school for me) always has at least 4 of the 6 discs in my changer.

-Chris

lawfive
02-15-05, 02:15 PM

:lies:
Oh, I be listenin' to rap, but only hardcore gangsta... you know, Will Smith, Vanilla Ice, MC Hammer... :coolgleam

Jerry "White, white, Baby" Anderson

benjet
02-15-05, 02:46 PM
Moving this to infotainment, maybe we'll find somone with a CTS (or even STS) that has more answers...feel free to keep the discussion going.

-Ben