: .....because I'm not old enough!

90Brougham350
02-12-05, 08:19 PM
Alright, maybe it's because I'm not old enough or it just has no meaning whatsover. I don't listen to rap or popular music at all, all I listen to is classic rock, so for all you in the slightly older crowd out there, what the hell do the lyrics to "The Weight" by The Band mean? Was there some event in the 60s it was written about? Just curious, I must have listened to it a hundred times by now and only yesterday did I ask myself what the hell the lyrics were about? Any comments welcome, thanks.

Brian

I pulled into Nazareth, was feelin' about half past dead;
I just need some place where I can lay my head.
"Hey, mister, can you tell me where a man might find a bed?"
He just grinned and shook my hand, and "No!", was all he said.

(Chorus:)
Take a load off Fanny, take a load for free;
Take a load off Fanny, And (and) (and) you can put the load right on me.

I picked up my bag, I went lookin' for a place to hide;
When I saw Carmen and the Devil walkin' side by side.
I said, "Hey, Carmen, come on, let's go downtown."
She said, "I gotta go, but m'friend can stick around."

(Chorus)

Go down, Miss Moses, there's nothin' you can say
It's just ol' Luke, and Luke's waitin' on the Judgement Day.
"Well, Luke, my friend, what about young Anna Lee?"
He said, "Do me a favor, son, woncha stay an' keep Anna Lee company?"

(Chorus)

Crazy Chester followed me, and he caught me in the fog.
He said, "I will fix your rack, if you'll take Jack, my dog."
I said, "Wait a minute, Chester, you know I'm a peaceful man."
He said, "That's okay, boy, won't you feed him when you can."

(Chorus)

Catch a cannon ball now, t'take me down the line
My bag is sinkin' low and I do believe it's time.
To get back to Miss Fanny, you know she's the only one.
Who sent me here with her regards for everyone.

(Chorus)

Kev
02-12-05, 08:39 PM
http://theband.hiof.no/articles/the_weight_viney.html
Check that url for more confusion.
There's no accounting for psychedelics. I was around then, I didn't have a clue then and still don't as to what that song was about, but like every other mother's son, I didn't much care as long as it had a catchy tune.

Kev

slk230mb
02-12-05, 11:06 PM
[url] There's no accounting for psychedelics... I didn't much care as long as it had a catchy tune.

:yeah: I'm only 19 so there is no way I would know what event it may have been written about.

Kev
02-12-05, 11:22 PM
:yeah: I'm only 19 so there is no way I would know what event it may have been written about.
The point is, it's arguable as to wether the song writer knew either. LSD or 'Shrooms may have had a 'lil sompin' sompin' to do with it.

Kev

slk230mb
02-12-05, 11:33 PM
The point is, it's arguable as to wether the song writer knew either. LSD or 'Shrooms may have had a 'lil sompin' sompin' to do with it.

Kev

Lol, true, but I really don't care about the meaning of this song. I just like it for what it is.

Kev
02-12-05, 11:37 PM
Lol, true, but I really don't care about the meaning of this song. I just like it for what it is.
Exactly! That's how most of the kids I knew felt about most of the music we listened to 'back 'n da day'!

Kev

danbuc
02-12-05, 11:53 PM
I think it's about a drifter roaming around from town to town, in the late 60's. I could be mistaken, but that what I get out of the song, everytime I here it. I heard it again today too.

tsmale
02-12-05, 11:56 PM
Like Steve Miller's song,"The Joker",in which he claims to be "the pompetus (Sp ?) of love." WHAT THE HELL IS A POMPETUS ????????????????????????????

Or " MacArthur Park" :"Some one left the cake out in the rain ." WTH ?

Kev
02-12-05, 11:57 PM
I think it's about a drifter roaming around from town to town, in the late 60's. I could be mistaken, but that what I get out of the song, everytime I here it. I heard it again today too.
Check the link above on TheBand's website. It seems everyone in and around the band had a diferent take on it. :rolleyes2

Kev

Kev
02-13-05, 12:01 AM
Hey, we didn't give a rip what they were singing about. Just like today, how many kids listening to rap actually know what the rapper is saying or even care? I'd bet most of them like it because it has a monster bass beat and cute hip-hop dancers.

Kev

danbuc
02-13-05, 12:17 AM
I don't like rap music at all, which I've found seems to be rare for someone my age. You give me an Animals, or a Smokey Robinson CD and I could listen to it all day. You give me a Rap CD, and I'll use it as a coaster for for my drink.

Kev
02-13-05, 12:28 AM
I don't like rap music at all, which I've found seems to be rare for someone my age. You give me an Animals, or a Smokey Robinson CD and I could listen to it all day. You give me a Rap CD, and I'll use it as a coaster for for my drink.
I knew there was somethin I liked about you Kid! ;)

Kev

slk230mb
02-13-05, 03:16 AM
I don't like rap music at all, which I've found seems to be rare for someone my age.... You give me a Rap CD, and I'll use it as a coaster for for my drink.

:yeah: my thoughts exactly

davesdeville
02-13-05, 04:42 AM
how many kids listening to rap actually know what the rapper is saying or even care? I'd bet most of them like it because it has a monster bass beat and cute hip-hop dancers.

Most of us I'd hope could at least get the idea... Like these lyrics from "This is How We Do" from The Game and 50 Cent. It's not that hard.

I put Lamborghini doors on that Es-co-lade (I put Lamborghini doors on that Escalade)
Low pro's so low look like I'm riding on blades (Low profile tires so it looks like I'm literally riding on blades)
In one year mang, a *****'s so paid (In one year, I've made a lot of money)
I have a straight bitch in the telly goin both ways (Ah!) (I get a lot of ass)
Touch me, tease me, kiss me, please me (Seems easy enough)
I give it to ya just how you like it, girl (Yea)
You know I'm rockin with the best tre pound on my hip (I surround myself with the best people, and I carry a gun)
Teflon on my chest (I wear a bulletproof vest)
They say I'm no good
Cuz I'm so hood
Rich folks do not want me around
Cuz sh*t might pop off, and if sh*t pop off (Because someone might discharge a firearm, and if someone does)
Somebody gon' get laid the **** out

danbuc
02-13-05, 06:07 AM
I get the lyrics, and I understand them. It's just that I prefer a melody, as opposed to spoken word in a song. I don;t know, it just flows better. I'm not a very big fan of the bass either, I like more treble in my music. I could name songs from the 60's that I gaurantee most people born in that era on this forum would know.

Some examples-

Insence Peppermints by The Strawberry Alarmclocks.

Psychotic Reaction by The Count Five

Heroes and Villians by Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

Bus Stop by The Hollies

Goin' up the Country by Canned Heat

and last but not least Sukiyaki by Kyu Sakamoto (as far as I know, it's the only non-english song to ever make it to number one)

This is the kind of stuff I listen to, because it's what I grew up with. My dad always used to play his Dave Clark Five, Rolling Stones, Doors, Edgar Winter, and many other records for me.

Of course you can't forget Motown, and all that great 50's. One of my all time favorites would have to be, Tracks of my Tears by The Miracles. That or Chantilly Lace by The Big Bopper. I guess I'm a little old fashion by todays standards, but who cares, it's what I like. :D

airbalancer
02-13-05, 09:17 AM
I think most of today music sounds the same.
I usually listern to hits from the 70's on the dish, there was great songs then but also some really dogs!
There was really good folk singer back then

90Brougham350
02-13-05, 11:06 AM
I think most of today music sounds the same.

Bingo! We were actually talking about this in my theology class a few weeks ago. My professor asked us to be honest about the music that people our age listen to, and if we thought our kids would be listening to it, calling it "oldies" someday. Most people in the class knew who the great bands from the 60s and 70s like the Stones, Zeppelin, Beatles, Bob Dylan, Hendrix, the list went on, but I think it got most people to realize that today's music has no lasting impact and has no reason to be remebered. I'm sure there's people who listen to rap or hiphop who would disagree with all the comments on this thread so far and that's fine, but tell me what lasting merit any of it has. Tell me why my kids will hear Britney or P-Didy in 20, 30 years.

Brian

davesdeville
02-13-05, 03:50 PM
I'm still listening to The Chronic and Doggystyle 13 and 12 years after their release, so we'll just have to wait and see.

evilrussian
02-13-05, 07:20 PM
Most of us I'd hope could at least get the idea... Like these lyrics from "This is How We Do" from The Game and 50 Cent. It's not that hard.

I put Lamborghini doors on that Es-co-lade (I put Lamborghini doors on that Escalade)
Low pro's so low look like I'm riding on blades (Low profile tires so it looks like I'm literally riding on blades)
In one year mang, a *****'s so paid (In one year, I've made a lot of money)
I have a straight bitch in the telly goin both ways (Ah!) (I get a lot of ass)
Touch me, tease me, kiss me, please me (Seems easy enough)
I give it to ya just how you like it, girl (Yea)
You know I'm rockin with the best tre pound on my hip (I surround myself with the best people, and I carry a gun)
Teflon on my chest (I wear a bulletproof vest)
They say I'm no good
Cuz I'm so hood
Rich folks do not want me around
Cuz sh*t might pop off, and if sh*t pop off (Because someone might discharge a firearm, and if someone does)
Somebody gon' get laid the **** out

I think that if you'd substitute just about any word from these lyrics with words like shit or muthaf*cka it'd still make sense :D

danbuc
02-13-05, 08:41 PM
F**k the Police.....F**k..F**k..F**k the Police.....

F**k the Police.....F**k..F**k..F**k the Police......Yo F**kem'

Jason Mewes (from Jay and Silent Bob strike back) :D