: My Tranny's dead

carguy16
02-12-05, 06:20 PM
Ok, I was on my way to work today, pulling out into traffic. I pull out, straighten out giving it a little gas, then when Im straight and doing 15-20 I floor it, takes off just fine, then it does this thing where it starts shaking, and revving, I take my foot off the gas and give it more gas, it just rev's. So I have to coast into a church parking lot.

I try shifting through all the gears in the parking lot, nothing, nada, no noises. I shut the car down, look under the hood, I checked the fluid(nice n' purple/pink/fresh), the driveshaft appears to be intact. I restart the car, at first it made a little clunky noises and shook a little, then stopped. Still not going anywhere.

My dad comes and picks me up, and he cant do anything either. So, Monday I will have to have the car towed to a shop, the tranny is under warranty, sorta. I will probably be paying for the tow truck...

Is the torque converter connected to the engine, or does it go to the transmission? i called the shop who rebuilt the transmission, and they told me that it sounds like the torque converter...

Anyone have any ideas? I drove the car about 2.5 - 3.5 miles, it was shut down for an hour, re-started back up and at this point I pulled into traffic, it dies, and I coast to a stop in a parking lot. So, it didnt over heat, and was running less then a minute when this happened. No sign of fluid anywhere, no smells or odors, no smoke.

Anyone have any ideas, I would love to hear them. I am without my Cadillac, any as always, money is tight.

90Brougham350
02-12-05, 06:35 PM
Is the torque converter connected to the engine, or does it go to the transmission? i called the shop who rebuilt the transmission, and they told me that it sounds like the torque converter...

The input shaft is bolted to the flywheel, and the output shaft is slid over the input shaft of the transmition. The stator in the middle makes it all happen, hope that's not too confusing. Think of it like 2 fans facing one another. If you turn one fan on, the other fan might start to rotate a little. If you turn the first fan on high, the other fan is gonna spin faster too. The fact that it's transmition fluid, similarly like air, allows for slippage. If you take the torque converter out and replace it with a direct input, then you're into circle track racing. :p Sorry to hear about your transmition, hope you can get it fixed at a resonable price.

Brian

fleetwood76
02-12-05, 06:53 PM
Hello Brian is right about the technical. But if you is wondering about the "Warranty" part i'l say the converter is part of the Transmission since they share the same oil system.

Adam
02-12-05, 06:54 PM
on our Fleetwoods, 94-96, can you damage the tranny by going over 65 mph in 2nd gear?

:hmm: hmmm, just makes you think doesnt it. man that really sucks dude. my brothers old truck went through 3 yes 3 transmissions before it worked properly. actually before he got rid of it the transmission screwed up again. he had the original rebuilt twice, and the place that rebuilt it got him 2 other transmissions. hopefully this wont be the case for you. hope you get her back on the road.

carguy16
02-12-05, 07:47 PM
Yeh, I was like WTF.

Come to think of it, this would be the 2nd time it did this. It did this to me at 90 MPH on the interstate at WOT, remember, it was on over drive, I did post on it, I was told it was valve float. This happened again today, just before my transmission died. It did the *rev* and *shake* at the same time, I guess this was bound to happen and un-avoidable. Geez, 3 months and 1,500 miles on the rebuild, not good.

:hmm: hmmm, just makes you think doesnt it. man that really sucks dude. my brothers old truck went through 3 yes 3 transmissions before it worked properly. actually before he got rid of it the transmission screwed up again. he had the original rebuilt twice, and the place that rebuilt it got him 2 other transmissions. hopefully this wont be the case for you. hope you get her back on the road.

D148L0
02-12-05, 07:59 PM
Bummer. My transmission gave me a major headache recently. I hope your car get's fixed.

evilrussian
02-12-05, 09:32 PM
Torque converter clutch is only responsible for 4th gear engagement. It's like your tranny "bypasses" torque converter altogether - direct link. I hope your warranty is good at this time, sounds like clutch packs have failed or some hydraulic problem that makes it slip. I'd put money it's not your TCC.

N0DIH
02-14-05, 08:25 PM
It strikes me as the sprag. They say it is the weak link on the 4L60E, replace it with the "Mechanical Diode", it can handle 1400 lb ft torque. It will last forever, well, at least the sprag will.... They say once the sprag goes the clutches fry quickly.

My 92 Aerostar van lunched the sprag, same deal, lost all gears. Wasn't worth fixing....

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/4497/

http://ckperformance.com/stg_700R4.html

http://lt1tech.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=print_topic;f=7;t=000641

Tom