: GM Dealer Coolant Procedure?

MWA
02-12-05, 02:39 PM
Does anyone know if the GM Dealer procedure for coolant service includes the barsleak tablets or other GM tablets? In other words, if you have a dealer service your Cadillac and change the coolant, will the dealer put the tabs in as a part of the service policy or do you need to request this?

blunted
02-12-05, 04:53 PM
It definetly doesnt hurt to request it. I once called inquiring about getting my coolant changed and asked about them putting in the tablets, their response was "ah it doesnt matter, dont worry about it.. it'll be fine without". This might not be the same response your local dealer gives but I would double check and make sure they do it as it is vital to the longevity of the headgaskets.

MWA
02-12-05, 06:58 PM
Just checked my Helm manual and it relates that three pellets of the engine coolant supplement sealant P/N 3634621 be added to the lower radiator hose.
Think I will check with the dealer that replaced mine to make certain it is in there.

Ranger
02-12-05, 07:08 PM
Does anyone know if the GM Dealer procedure for coolant service includes the barsleak tablets or other GM tablets? In other words, if you have a dealer service your Cadillac and change the coolant, will the dealer put the tabs in as a part of the service policy or do you need to request this?
I wouldn't trust the dealer to automatically do it. You should be able to tell if it was done as the tabs will give the coolant a slightly muddy appearance as opposed to the pureorange color of Dex-Cool or pure green color of conventional coolant.

MWA
02-12-05, 07:16 PM
I appreciate the info Ranger. As always, you are the man. I will check for the muddy orange color of the coolant. I have had no problems on the Eldo, but since this forum has stressed the importance of this issue, want to make certain.

Thank you! :worship:

MWA
02-14-05, 01:23 PM
Ranger, you are correct again....just checked with the service dept of the dealer where I had the coolant changed a year ago and "unless specifically requested or the service tech determines the need, the coolant tabs are not added." Needless to say, the correct dose of tabs are on their way to me sent directly from the dealer.

I don't understand it, if the factory manual calls for them and even lists them by P/N, why aren't they put in??????????

Many thanks for your wisdom and advice! Also, special thank you to "Blunted."

caddydaddy
02-14-05, 02:02 PM
When I had the dealer fix the cooling system on my old '94 Concours, I brought in the tablets and told them to use them.

haymaker
02-14-05, 04:04 PM
My í97 SLS has a sticker on the radiator shroud that states the addition of the tablets in the cooling system during filling. I attached a picture of this sticker under post #12 of this thread. Was 1997 the only year with this factory sticker on the radiator shroud? I know it is a little hard to read but it looked a lot better on my computer screen than now viewing as an attachment.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=234624#post234624

MWA
02-14-05, 10:43 PM
Yep, Haymaker, there it is right in front of my nose, too. The 98 Eldorado has the identical sticker complete with part number of the pellets that are to be added to the lower radiator hose when replacing coolant. You are exactly correct................why would the dealers downplay an essential element that costs so little to use? Many thanks.

peteski
02-15-05, 02:27 AM
Maybe because neglect of cooling system will bring the dealer much bigger profit (head gasket/timesert service) than simply preventing the blown gaskets by using the BarLeak additive...

Peteski:lildevil:

MWA
02-16-05, 08:15 PM
Hey, Peteski, they must be pretty important. I just received an airborne express
package with the Cooling System Seal Tabs p/n3634621 shipped all gratis.......
unbelievable!

haymaker
02-16-05, 11:17 PM
Yep, Haymaker, there it is right in front of my nose, too. The 98 Eldorado has the identical sticker complete with part number of the pellets that are to be added to the lower radiator hose when replacing coolant. You are exactly correct................why would the dealers downplay an essential element that costs so little to use? Many thanks.
To tell you the truth if I hadnít been under the hood so many times adding coolant when I was trying to diagnose my blown head gaskets I doubt if I would have noticed the information on the sticker myself. I guess the caddy techs pay about as much attention to the under-hood stickers as we do.

Thatís great the dealer sent you the tablets. Guess they were admitting the oversight.

MWA
02-17-05, 09:39 AM
Right, Haymaker, now the only thing I have to do is figure out how to get them into the lower radiator hose without loss of the new coolant. Bbob says they can be added to either the top or bottom radiator hose, but not the reserve tank where the pressure cap is located. Maybe I will add them to a cold top rad hose.

haymaker
02-17-05, 12:35 PM
Right, Haymaker, now the only thing I have to do is figure out how to get them into the lower radiator hose without loss of the new coolant. Bbob says they can be added to either the top or bottom radiator hose, but not the reserve tank where the pressure cap is located. Maybe I will add them to a cold top rad hose.
I always use the top radiator hose to install the tablets. Some guys donít break them up first but I always break them up into small pieces before placing them into the top hose. You donít lose that much coolant when removing one end of the top hose. When you refill the cooling system use the 50/50 premixed Dexcol. Before you start the engine fill the expansion tank (at the radiator cap) close to the top, do not replace the cap, start the engine turn the heater control up to 90 degrees and then return to the expansion tank and refill if necessary. Allow the engine to continue to run watch the coolant level in the expansion tank if continues to drop add more coolant but if the coolant level starts to rise as if were going to overflow install the radiator cap and check for any coolant leaks. Lower the thermostat to your normal setting then drive the car as you normally would and recheck the coolant level when engine is cold or the next morning. If too much coolant is in the expansion tank it will simply expand and be vented out the overflow tube onto the roadway. My í97 SLS when checked on a level surface normally maintains a cold coolant level of 2 ĹĒ below the neck of the expansion tank (the smaller step under the radiator cap). After a coolant change or refill the coolant level may remain high until the engine has gone through a few driving cycles in stop and go traffic. I hope this is helpful.

MWA
02-17-05, 07:52 PM
Thanks again, Haymaker, your wisdom and experience are appreciated.