: Bluetooth Pairing/Functionality...

ddalder
06-25-13, 09:15 PM
I'm have an iPhone 4 and am looking at upgrading to something a little newer. One of my biggest irritations is the deafening tone that the iPhone sends to the STS most of the time it makes it's first call since ignition on. I'm looking toward the Samsung Galaxy S4. Anyone here have experience with this? Any known problems pairing or history of that horrible sound on first call? I'm not too interested in selecting a phone that doesn't play well with the STS.

dustinrw
06-25-13, 11:00 PM
I have a i5 and it's fine. I have not had any issues. Only thing I don't like is it not pairing itself very time I get in the car. I have to pair it manually every time. But as far as sound issues and stuff I have no complaints

Ludacrisvp
06-25-13, 11:55 PM
Yeah that buzz tone is VERY annoying!!!

The needing to pair all the time is because you need to see the "default" device on the car to tell it to connect to that phone by default.

I moved to the HTC One rather than the S4 due to the USA model S4 being neutered. The UK model comes with an 8 core processor, which the USA model is only 4 core.
I figured since the One and the S4 are both a 4 core phone I might as well get the phone that has decent speakers on it and the One was chosen. I do miss the iPhone integration though. So I tether my phones together so I have Pandora from the iPhone integrated into the nav.

Subsailor613
06-26-13, 05:21 PM
Try this, Start your car, (Not moving )and let the screen default to whatever screen and:
press config, then bluetooth, Highlight your phone,then select it,
when you see your device, press default, it will underline,
your device, then next time it (Should) auto connect.
I have an OLDER phone, phone only,
Not even a camera, (remember those)
And even that, it sometimes does not connect,
If I am on a longer trip, I check it connected FIRST.
Happy Motoring

turnne
06-27-13, 09:31 PM
I have a i5 and it's fine. I have not had any issues. Only thing I don't like is it not pairing itself very time I get in the car. I have to pair it manually every time. But as far as sound issues and stuff I have no complaints

same exact issue I have

phone works fine with my company car through...A Ford with their Sync system

to be honest I have given up on the STS bluetooth a few years ago...its never played well with any phone I had

Warren

EChas3
06-27-13, 09:59 PM
I don't have much trouble, but my wife does. She has one caller who just simply can't talk with her through the STS Bluetooth. Weird.

----------

Both phones are LG; hers is newer!

Guy.Seminerio
06-27-13, 10:18 PM
Anyone who is having issues with their phone not automatically connecting look up at subsailor613's last comment.

On an other note, people who talk to me when I'm using bluetooth complain that they hear themselves echo.

malatu
06-28-13, 09:20 AM
Mine connects automatically (Razor M).

Though at times, if I'm listening to a cd, the music doesn't get muted. I have to hang up on the person, mute the music manually and then call them back. It happens about 30% of the time (when listening to CD's).

Guy.Seminerio
06-28-13, 01:24 PM
I know for a fact iPhone 3GS and 5 pair automatically as well. And yes there is the occasional screw up like malatu says.

EChas3
06-28-13, 08:26 PM
[P]eople who talk to me when I'm using bluetooth complain that they hear themselves echo.

While connected on one of these calls, lower the volume (either by steering wheel controls or dash control) until it gets hard for one of the call participants to hear the other. Turn it back up just a bit. Hang up & try again.

Any better?

I've found there's a tendancy to turn it up the STS Bluetooth too much and your caller is hearing themselves through your speakers. Digital cell phones may have outstanding call clarity and supress noise, but there's latency in the conversation. I think it's another example of 'negative progress'.

Guy.Seminerio
06-28-13, 08:37 PM
Ill try

caponeque
06-30-13, 09:54 PM
Last weekend I installed a Lock Pick in my 07' STS. Since that time my Bluetooth function has not worked at all. My navigation still works fine. Any suggestions. Thanks

EChas3
06-30-13, 10:44 PM
Totally unrelated.

Guy.Seminerio
06-30-13, 11:52 PM
Last weekend I installed a Lock Pick in my 07' STS. Since that time my Bluetooth function has not worked at all. My navigation still works fine. Any suggestions. Thanks

Capone, I'd post that issue again, only in the official STS lockpick thread. See link below.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2012/170225-official-sts-lockpick-thread-28.html

Relate27
07-01-13, 02:01 PM
While connected on one of these calls, lower the volume (either by steering wheel controls or dash control) until it gets hard for one of the call participants to hear the other. Turn it back up just a bit. Hang up & try again.

Any better?

I've found there's a tendancy to turn it up the STS Bluetooth too much and your caller is hearing themselves through your speakers. Digital cell phones may have outstanding call clarity and supress noise, but there's latency in the conversation. I think it's another example of 'negative progress'.

I have the Galaxy S4 and before that the EVO 3d and both of my phone had an echo in them. I don't even try connect my phones to bluetooth anymore it was so bad. I will try this little tip and see if it helps. Thanks

Guy.Seminerio
07-08-13, 06:40 PM
So I was on a phone call, lowered the volume to where you could barely hear, hung up, called again, and the volume was still at that low level. Turned it back up to where I could hear and the person on the other end still heard themselves echo. Maybe a firmware update will help? I have to do this anyway because my nav stuff doesn't show up on the HUD. Hopefully that solves that problem at least.

EChas3
07-08-13, 11:52 PM
Sorry to hear that trouble persists. That volume dodge has helped some with mine.

I'm not aware of any firmware upgrade for 2008 & up but maybe the V is different. The 2005-7 Nav firmware upgrade did nothing for the HUD/Nav integration. Yoiu've got some other issue there.

Guy.Seminerio
07-09-13, 12:51 AM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2012/170159-nav-turn-instructions-dont-show-hud.html
According to this old thread which you happen to have posted in (I see you've been around for a minute) jbstar had some kind of update done that solved this problem on his 2009. Is the update he speaks of a firmware update or am I misunderstanding. Please let me know. Thanks.

ddalder
07-09-13, 07:11 AM
The update is to the firmware. The problem in that thread hasn't been talked about much in the time I've been around and I don't get the impression it's really common. You can definitely check with the dealer though since there seems to be some for of legitimate fix for some problems in 2008+ cars.

Guy.Seminerio
07-09-13, 07:22 AM
Thanks for that.

EChas3
07-10-13, 10:23 PM
Memory failed me; one more proof of my mortality. Ain't life grand?

I knew the 2008 & up didn't require the 2005-7 upgrade but obviously, they still didn't have it right.

Guy - Thank you soo much for finding that thread. I had lost the 'code' needed to read the firmware levels on gen 2 Nav units. This was one of my favorite bits of STS trivia. I hope it benefits another member.

Guy.Seminerio
07-10-13, 10:32 PM
Yeah it's pretty cool. I punched the code in and looked at my various versions of whatever (I don't understand all that computer crap) and they matched yours after your update way back in January of 09.