: Another Coolant Question

Yaemish
02-12-05, 01:34 PM
I have seen the procedure described 100 times but I just want to make sure before I go and do this.

The mixture is said to be 50/50, do you mix it before adding it to the radiator? If so how much water and how much coolant is needed?

Also, where do I put the crushed coolant tablets?

Dadillac
02-12-05, 02:27 PM
The mixture is 50% coolant, and 50% water, preferrably distilled water, as it doesn't have impurities, that tap water has. It is best to mix the coolant, before putting into the system. This way, you can better monitor the mix. Use 4-6 coolant tablets (cheap from the dealer) and put into either top or bottom radiator hose.

Pjs
02-12-05, 03:41 PM
Why hassel with mixing anti-freeze when you can buy it already pre-mixed with filtered/distilled water? I buy the prestone pre-mix (50-50) and swear by it. Walmart usually sells it for a couple bucks a gallon cheaper than the auto parts stores. They usually have the Bars "Golden Seal" powder in the tubes as well...$1.57 a tube...you'll need 2, It's the same as the tablets only in powder form. Put them in the lower rad hose.

davesdeville
02-12-05, 04:16 PM
Premixed stuff is usually about $8 instead of $10 from what I've seen, I'll keep mixing it myself to save $3 a gallon thank you very much.

Yaemish
02-12-05, 04:34 PM
How much total water/coolant goes into the car?

Ranger
02-12-05, 06:51 PM
Just get a gallon of Dex-Cool and a gallon of distilled water. Then get an empty gallon jug of Dex-cool, milk, juice, bleach, whatever. Pour half the water into the empty jug and half the Dex-cool into the empty jug. You now have a full jug of 50/50 mix. Pour the remaining water into the now half empty Dec-cool jug and you now have another jug of 50/50 mix. Then fill the system. This way, quantity is irrelavant. Just mark the Dex-Cool jug as 50/50 because you will have some left over and if you ever need a top off, you'll then know it is pre-mixed.

Yaemish
02-12-05, 08:11 PM
Thanks for all the help. I am going to take care of it first thing tomorrow morning.

davesdeville
02-13-05, 04:17 AM
How much total water/coolant goes into the car?

I think I read 11.8 liters somewhere.. I think my owners manual but maybe not. Anyway that's a bit over 3 gal.