: No CTS-V Test Drives at Coleman Cadillac!

tcb100
02-12-05, 11:44 AM
I called Jim Coleman Cadillac in Bethesda Maryland this morning to arrange a test drive and was informed that they do not allow test drives of the CTS-V! It's a "rare car" and they don't have a demonstrator. But they have four in stock in case I want to buy one before driving it.

These people must be crazy! Looks like it's off to the import dealers I must go.

Cadillac should have set up a new division, or just select "car-guy" dealers to handle this automobile. New car but the same old people selling them.

homer403
02-12-05, 12:16 PM
That crazy :cookoo: .... Back in November, I just walked in at Moore Cadillac in Tysons Corner and they let me test drive the CTS-V on some really cool back roads and left without buying. Granted, I went back two weeks later and bought one, not the one I drove though:lildevil: . Goto Moore or Lindsey!

urbanski
02-12-05, 12:22 PM
pretty stupid of them, considering there are still new 04's on some lots....find another dealer.

wildwhl
02-12-05, 12:24 PM
tcb100 -

Curiousity question - how old are you (or do you appear to look)?

It seems there are some dealers who do a little age discrimination when it comes to test drives, my local dealer included.

02-12-05, 12:28 PM
Coleman was one of the only dealers in the mid atlantic that was trying to get $5000 over MSRP last year, when everyone else was asking sticker. I am yet to hear anything good about that dealership.

Lindsay or Moore here in NoVa are both a cut above, and you will get your test drive.

Doug

chipdelay
02-12-05, 12:48 PM
Don Mackey in Tucson did not offer test drives on the CTS-V's or the M3's they had in stock. Bought it anyway.

tcb100
02-12-05, 12:59 PM
Wildwhl, I'm 61 years old.

6104696, Coleman Cadillac always had a bad reputation for attitude with customers. They happen to be a 7 minute drive from home so I was hoping things had changed.

In addition, I own two Audis. Once you deal with a company like Rockville Porsche Audi, where they treat you like Royalty, dealers like Coleman become totally intolerable. Rockville PA offered me a test drive in a $100,000 Porsche, unsolicited but I can't get Jimmy Coleman to let me off the lot.

Bah! But I will call Moore and Lindsay.

trukk
02-12-05, 01:09 PM

6104696, Coleman Cadillac always had a bad reputation for attitude with customers. They happen to be a 7 minute drive from home so I was hoping things had changed.

In addition, I own two Audis. Once you deal with a company like Rockville Porsche Audi, where they treat you like Royalty, dealers like Coleman become totally intolerable. Rockville PA offered me a test drive in a $100,000 Porsche, unsolicited but I can't get Jimmy Coleman to let me off the lot.

I did a test drive at Capitol Caddilac. No hassles at all.

Z06CTSV
02-12-05, 01:12 PM
When I got mine last April. I test drove all three V's they had (2 blacks,one silver). Go somewhere else...

Joe
New Orleans

wildwhl
02-12-05, 01:20 PM
Well, regardless of age, no test drive is total B.S.

I purchased my V without one (sort of)...the dealer wanted a deal in principle before we could go for a drive, along with some sort of down payment. We hammered out the numbers (basically sticker and get the shaft on the trade in) and I left my vehicle behind as we went for a drive.

I didn't get two city blocks before I knew I wouldn't be backing out of the deal :lildevil:

Still, that was a year ago when the first V's were hitting the streets. Now that there are likely several V's on the lot, I don't see any reason at all for a dealer to not allow test drives. I can confirm, however, that my local dealer still does not on the CTS/V cars. I am also quite certain that they haven't sold any more V's (maybe one) and I think there are 2 or 3 on the lot. They also have them all listed at +$5K over sticker...which will never fly!

slow35th
02-12-05, 01:23 PM
My dealer insisted that I drive one. I drove it just to shut him up. These cars are too much fun to pass up because of an anal cavity dealer. You really should find another dealer and drive one.

Edit: I did not use the word "anal cavity". I used a more choice word and the BB software replaced it with "anal cavity". How funny.:hmm:

02-12-05, 03:21 PM

Bob Nesslein is the sales manager at Lindsay; there are several good salesmen...Danny Doherty was very helpful and very honest. No games, treated me like a king. At Moore, though I can't recall the sales manager's name, a very good V salesman is Amir Hememdemovich (or something like that). Just asking for Amir gets him on the phone.

I am not sure what kind of deals they are making these days (you might want to get away from the big cities if you want to hunt for the best deals), but you will be treated right, anyway.

crowan
02-12-05, 07:12 PM
I purchased my V from Coleman because they had what I was looking for, but it was not a pleasant experience. They would not give me a test drive until I started to walk out the door in disgust. The only theing worse than their attitude is their service department. Totally horrible.

I now deal with Lindsay Cadillac where the service is fantastic and they treat you like an adult.

Don't give up on the car, just ignore certain dealers.

cts-v ls6
02-12-05, 08:12 PM
You can buy new V's way below sticker from Cadillac dealers on ebay.

feline
02-12-05, 10:07 PM
We are a little town in Ohio and the dealer here let me "Take the "V" home Overnight" granted we are a small town and everybody knows everybody and they knew I was in LOVE with the car---couldn't deal then but now in February they were Finally ready to Sell it.. SOLD!!

cdog533
02-13-05, 04:16 AM
Any dealer pompous enough to say test drives aren't allowed is both stupid and rude. You should be able to drive ANY car without a deal done or down payment made.

Even our local Lamborghini dealership will let you test drive the cars...

Art138
02-13-05, 09:09 AM
Well, I still have one on order because the ones on the lots had 75 to 100 miles on them. In fact I was angry that they would allow "tire kickers" to run up that many miles. In the end they will have to give those away at huge discounts in a few months. One already had a small nick. Any good dealer should have one demo for such purposes. I do not consider buying a car with a 100 miles new. If I am going to pay a competetive price I expect one with no more than 15 miles on it. Some of us like our "toys" right out of the box.

thebigjimsho
02-13-05, 09:37 AM
My dealer insisted that I drive one. I drove it just to shut him up. These cars are too much fun to pass up because of an anal cavity dealer. You really should find another dealer and drive one.

Edit: I did not use the word "anal cavity". I used a more choice word and the BB software replaced it with "anal cavity". How funny.:hmm:Let's see if I understand you correctly, you can't say ******* ??

Anyway, my dealer wouldn't let me test drive one either. But that was in January of '04, when I put my deposit down anyway. But my dealer, Olsen Cadillac of Woburn, MA was absolutely first rate. I have nothing bad, not even average, to say about them.

**What did you say? I just got these funky***************

Koooop
02-13-05, 11:56 AM
I didn't buy my car from Neighbor Cadillac in Costa Mesa nor Allen Cadillac nor Tustin Cadillac because of no test drives policy. I did however buy the very same Black 2005 car that Allen Cadillac would not let me test drive from a private party 6 weeks and 1,400 miles later for almost $10,000 back of sticker.:D

steve711
02-13-05, 12:57 PM
I think that you have to ATLEAST get financed for the car before a testdrive could happen.For a majority of dealers that is the rule.For me i did'nt have to drive the car, All that i read, & seen was enough for me.So yes i purchased WITHOUT testdriving.

BUILDINGCTSAMG
02-13-05, 01:25 PM
Dont go to moore, Moore cadillac has more bad posts on this forum than any other dealership. I bought my cts from them and it was the biggest mistake of my life. Lindsey is defn the way to go.

homer403
02-13-05, 02:23 PM
I am not going to disagree with BUILDINGCTSAMG, but I want to be fair... here's my opinion because I brought my car there.... first the sales guy.... not bad, very nice guy, let me test drive a CTS-V until I think he crapped his pants, or maybe that was me :histeric: . Somewhat knowedgeable but he could have been more knowledgable. Most importantly, NO PRESSURE to buy at ant time. Just so you know, I did walk away after the test drive with just a simple thanks. Two weeks later I brought the car. Second, the service department, well they suck and well, they really suck (OK I really hate them :want: ).

But this is what made my experience really good, the guy in the financing side called me a day later after the deal and found me a better deal and went out of his way to save me money. Came in and he tore up the contract and we signed a new one. Never had that before so I gotta give Moore credit for that... saved me over $4K.

BUILDINGCTSAMG
02-13-05, 06:17 PM
The buying process is not bad at moore, but honestly the service department will cost you thousands in medical expenses to treat the ulcer.....i cant believe they are soo bad!

cdog533
02-13-05, 10:30 PM
I think that you have to ATLEAST get financed for the car before a testdrive could happen.For a majority of dealers that is the rule.For me i did'nt have to drive the car, All that i read, & seen was enough for me.So yes i purchased WITHOUT testdriving.
Not to disagree, but I didn't have any problem test driving two (2) V's without any promise to buy. I just said "I like this car, I want to drive it." Any dealership that won't agree to that, just walk away.

Now, if you are 18, with a SKATE OR DIE t-shirt on, they may say no. But if you LOOK like you can afford the car you are all set.

That being said, the guys at exotic dealerships are VERY careful not to judge books by their cover and treat everyone the same. They've all heard stories of no one talking to the guy in ripped up jeans and a Motley Crue tshirt looking at the Ferrari, only to have the noob sales guy walk up and cut a cash deal with the 'poor' guy in 10 minutes...

msheri01
02-13-05, 10:49 PM
The test drive issue was a sore spot for us early on, but the first eight cars were sold orders before the cars were even built, and we do not let sold cars be test driven. We lost several sales because of customers who did not pre-order wanting to test drive sold order cars. As the supply loosened, we had stock vehicles to test drive, but it was one car, not all of them. There were a few comparisons with/without the FG2 shock package. However, the test drives are with a sales consultant, unless the customer is known well. The potential liability is too great to turn someone loose with the car when the dealer is not sure of the customer's ability to handle the car. Those who own one would likely admit that the car can be dangerous with the right road conditions, an inexperienced driver, and all the stability and traction controls shut off. In our area, a dealer made this mistake with a Corvette that had to be swept up off the highway after rolling at high speeds. There may be some of this coloring the situation, or it may not. If you are not comfortable with the dealer experience, I would highly suggest that you find a dealer you are comfortable with. With this particular car, I would look at the service recommendation as closely as I would the sales end. The attitude of a dealer tends to permeate the store, and if they are selling more V's they will be more familar with the car. Don't let one bad dealer experience turn you off the brand completely. There are many of us out there who truly respect our customers and who love these cars.

lawfive
02-13-05, 11:40 PM
Went to Renick Cadillac in Riverside CA; seemed nice but also seemed that they catered to the 'mature' Caddy driver and that they were 'busy.' That aside, I really only left because they only had '04 CTS-Vs on the lot (in August 2004).

Went to Mark Christopher in Ontario CA. This is a super fine dealership with what appears to be an excellent service department. They pulled my V out of the covered parking and I put the first miles on it during my test drive. After I grabbed the wheel that first time, I never let go.

-- Jerry "If he grins like an idiot during the test drive, it's a sale!" Anderson

tcb100
02-14-05, 01:31 PM
Msheri01 I fully understand the dealer's reluctance to turn loose a new CTS-V for a random customer's thrashing. However, it seems insane not to have a properly broken-in V for demonstrator purposes.

How many people are going to buy a car they have never driven? Particularly with the wheel hop and differential issues raised here on this forum?

The car looks to good to pass up. I'm still hoping for a test drive from another dealer but I will say Coleman will never get my business or even a kind word.

Mustang
02-14-05, 02:13 PM
Went to Renick Cadillac in Riverside CA; seemed nice but also seemed that they catered to the 'mature' Caddy driver and that they were 'busy.' That aside, I really only left because they only had '04 CTS-Vs on the lot (in August 2004).

Went to Mark Christopher in Ontario CA. This is a super fine dealership with what appears to be an excellent service department. They pulled my V out of the covered parking and I put the first miles on it during my test drive. After I grabbed the wheel that first time, I never let go.

-- Jerry "If he grins like an idiot during the test drive, it's a sale!" Anderson

I guess Mark Christopher has improved a lot in the last 10 years. My experince was that the incompetence of their service department was only matched by the rudeness of their salesmen.

I test drove a CTS-V at Kuni Cadillac in Beaverton, OR this weekend. The sales person was very nice and treated us well. She offered to let us take it out without us asking. (She could see the dumb grin on my face.) I even got to test the Stabilitrak in the rain. I'm probably going to go buy sometime in the summer after I get married. :)

Koooop
02-14-05, 04:09 PM
And don't think you can get a decent test drive at GMs Auto Show in Motion, it's lame! They FREAK OUT if you go fast, brake hard, corner hard or even breath hard. Now the BMW ultimate Driving experiance and the Zero to Infiniti race and ride and the MBZ (even the C class test drive is fun) test drives are an absolute must if you get the invite. I got to go on the Mazda test drive years back when the last twin turbo RX7 was introduced...Closed course, the attendant leaned in the drivers window and said "remember, it's not yours". There is nothing quite like an 8,000 rpm turbo charged clutch pop!

Rob Ketcham
02-14-05, 05:53 PM
I called Jim Coleman Cadillac in Bethesda Maryland this morning to arrange a test drive and was informed that they do not allow test drives of the CTS-V!

Cadillac should have set up a new division, or just select "car-guy" dealers to handle this automobile. New car but the same old people selling them.

Coleman is a disaster, not a dealer. If you want a new V go to Lindsay or Moore. I'll sell you mine, its "cherry" for those in their 60's or "tight" for the newly monied crowd. Edited for commercial content.

lawfive
02-14-05, 06:03 PM
I guess Mark Christopher has improved a lot in the last 10 years. My experince was that the incompetence of their service department was only matched by the rudeness of their salesmen.

I guess... The sales people were great. I haven't had to get it serviced, but I've talked to the service manager (a serious enthusiast who's setting me up with Maggie, Corsa, and BMR AWK) and hung around the service center talking to some of the customers. They seem to be OK based on anecdotal evidence; if nothing else, their waiting room is by far the nicest/classiest car service place I've ever been in.

Jerry

msheri01
02-14-05, 07:08 PM
I wasn't saying the car should not be test driven. The issue we had early on was customer's getting mad because they were not allowed to drive cars that were already sold, and waiting for their owner to take them home, some of them from several states away. We do allow test drives, we just do not turn the car loose with an inexperienced driver behind the wheel. I was not saying they were right at all. About half of the fifteen or so we have sold have been customers who walked in, a few test drove, most already knew what the car was, and just wanted to negotiate the deal. The other half were sales to GMS and supplier purchasers, several from out of state who already knew what the car was. As for the demo issue, we had gotten some factory cars like Chesrown lists here, and several customers drove those to see what the car drove like with some miles on it.

tcb100
02-14-05, 07:47 PM
Yeah Koop, my toy is a 1993 RX-7 twin turbo that I have had since new. I drag it & routinely launch at 7,500 RPM. When those ET Streets hook up it practically throws you into the trunk. Great fun & a pretty much bulletproof rear end (frankly, about the only thing that's bulletproof on that car).

Without the ET Streets, I KNOW wheel-hop.