: Radio is crapping out

97Catera
02-12-05, 12:19 PM
ok i have the bose tape player but the tape player doesnt work and the radio on any station cuts out alot.Is it hard to add a aftermarket cd player or is it just get the wire harness and install kit and thats it,or do i need to do some special wiring because of the bose.

stevehogan
02-12-05, 03:05 PM
The Bose units complicates it just a bit in that the wiring harness in the Bose cars does not go directly from the head unit to the speakers, but rather goes to seperate processor and amplifier units. Plus the wire in the harness at the head unit in Bose cars is not heavy enough gauge to do a good job carrying speaker level signals. :banghead: However, it is not at all difficult to pull new wire from the headunit to a point where all of the speaker wires are available in either the driver side or passenger side A pillars. The driver side is preferred. You can pick up the speaker wires on Connector 200A. You also will need to remove all of the Bose hardware - the amplifiers, speakers, etc. What you REALLY need to do before you do anything like this is to get a set of the Factory Service Manuals ($20 to $50 on eBay). They contain the schematics and the connector layouts and locations. Without that information in front of you, the project is doomed :lildevil:

There are some other subtle issues to be aware of when putting in an aftermarket unit, such as do NOT use the power connections in the factory harness as they are not switched in a manner expected by most aftermarket units. Instead, pick up the proper power points at the back of the fuse block (also not difficult IF you have the manual and are familiar with electrical schematics.)

Metra makes a nice installation kit that lets you fit an aftermarket unit into the Catera and have a good looking job when completed. Costs about $10 and well worth it.

Good luck! :)

97Catera
02-12-05, 04:25 PM
i think i am better off getting a bose cd player from a 98 i think that plugs right in.

stevehogan
02-12-05, 05:27 PM
It should plug straight in. As for whether or not you want to get a new Bose, I installed a Kenwood dash unit (a 5025 w CD), Sirrius satellite and a CD changer - bought it all on eBay and have less than $300 in the whole thing, including the Metra install kit. Of course it sounds better :D probably because I did it myself :thumbsup: You can find the CD Bose units on eBay for $150 or so. However, if you plan on adding a CD changer (besides the CD player in the Bose unit itself), make sure that you get the RIGHT Bose unit. Some do not have the connector on the back to control a changer.

97Catera
02-12-05, 06:59 PM
what would you do i have a nice pioneer cd player with the xm radio setup i just dont want to pay an arm and a leg for the install and i dont want to try it and mess it up.i have done alot or radios but none like this with factory amps and stuff.

stevehogan
02-13-05, 03:09 AM
If it were me, I'd get a set of the Catera Factory Service Manuals off of eBay. Plan it out really well and go for it. It's not that bad of a job. Just get the Metra dash kit. It makes the job a LOT easier. You will also need an antenna cable adapter as the GM antenna plug is not the same as that on the aftermarket radios. These are about $4. I did the whole job in about 8 hours, including bending a bracket to hold my aftermarket changer in the factory changer location. If you are not going to install a CD changer in the trunk, you can install the XM unit behind the trunk liner where the CD changer would normally go. Otherwise, you can mount the XM unit in the trunk under the rear window shelf. Just about everywhere else is filled up. :)