: Rear end symptoms?

FLTRI
06-25-13, 04:04 PM
So, I think I may have the beginning stages of the dreaded rear end issues. Here's my symptoms, as best as I can describe without making noises with my mouth...

Cruise set at 77, smooth asphalt. Kinda sounds like tire noise under light acceleration, mostly goes away under decel. No whining, more of a very slight and I mean very slight, low pitched rubbing or grinding. Kinda like brakes rubbing, maybe. Once I get back on surface streets, and let the auto transmission shift down coming to a stop, I can hear it a little louder, and almost feel it, in 3rd and 2nd gear under decel, as the trans shifts down.

Like I said, it sounds almost like tire noise, but I'm pretty convinced it's not, as the roadway surface doesn't change the pitch or volume. Also, it pretty much goes away on deceleration, at speed anyway. Also, brisk acceleration doesn't make it worse, and it may make it go away?

Thoughts and input appreciated.
2011 auto Vagon, 11,000 miles...

dullaware
06-25-13, 04:43 PM
Mine needed the friction modifier additive. Seems fine now

BklynEXT
06-25-13, 05:41 PM
Mine makes a low speed groaning when making a left turn. Once the vehicle warms up it goes away. I'm bringing it in next week.

dullaware
06-25-13, 06:45 PM
My slip says TSB 10-04-20-001E
Additive PN 88900330
Main issue was groan in low speed turns when cold, hope this helps

Trapspeed
06-25-13, 08:54 PM
Been through this. The additive will not fix it. Maybe temporarily but it's a band aid on an artery. My carrier was just replaced with 46K and had whine and bearing failure when inspected. The whine was most present between 35-40 under constant speed. It would go away under power or when lifting off the gas and coasting. So far, the new one is as quiet as it gets.

RobF300
06-25-13, 09:12 PM
Sounds Same as mine, they replaced the diff.

Trapspeed
06-25-13, 10:26 PM
FLTRI, I would settle for nothing less. Best of luck. Hopefully, your dealer is a good one.

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-26-13, 01:44 PM
Mine makes a low speed groaning when making a left turn. Once the vehicle warms up it goes away. I'm bringing it in next week.

Hello BklynEXT,

I apologize for the inconvenience your vehicle is experiencing. I see you are taking the vehicle in next week. If you would like us to stay invoked throughout the process, please private message us and we can continue our interaction next week to ensure your dealer visit goes well. Also we can be contacted for any other concerns or questions you may have.

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

----------

So, I think I may have the beginning stages of the dreaded rear end issues. Here's my symptoms, as best as I can describe without making noises with my mouth...

Cruise set at 77, smooth asphalt. Kinda sounds like tire noise under light acceleration, mostly goes away under decel. No whining, more of a very slight and I mean very slight, low pitched rubbing or grinding. Kinda like brakes rubbing, maybe. Once I get back on surface streets, and let the auto transmission shift down coming to a stop, I can hear it a little louder, and almost feel it, in 3rd and 2nd gear under decel, as the trans shifts down.

Like I said, it sounds almost like tire noise, but I'm pretty convinced it's not, as the roadway surface doesn't change the pitch or volume. Also, it pretty much goes away on deceleration, at speed anyway. Also, brisk acceleration doesn't make it worse, and it may make it go away?

Thoughts and input appreciated.
2011 auto Vagon, 11,000 miles...

Hello FLTRI,

I am sorry your vehicle is experiencing a rear end issue. Are you going to work with a dealership on this concern? Please feel free to private message us so we can further discuss your issues and help work towards a resolution.

Laura M.

FLTRI
06-26-13, 02:57 PM
Thanks Guys. I have a service scheduled for Monday. I'm sure I'm gonna get the "Could not duplicate customer concern" answer, but I'm going to have them flush and refill the diff, even if I have to pay for it...

OldRoadDawg
06-26-13, 05:29 PM
Thanks Guys. I have a service scheduled for Monday. I'm sure I'm gonna get the "Could not duplicate customer concern" answer, but I'm going to have them flush and refill the diff, even if I have to pay for it...

I'm going in Friday and the differential 'low groan noise' is on the list of things to check. Mine has made a noise from Day 1. Did the flush at 5K mark at my expense since they said it was tire noise. Have replaced the tires once since then, sticking with PS2s, AND spoke with a Michelin engineer at a Cadillac Driving lab who said the PS2 tires should not make any noise.

So I changed the fluid again using AMSoil Extreme duty + the additive (did it myself) and I still have a low level noise at 26K mark.
Bumper to Bumper runs out next month so I hopefully I won't get the response: "tire noise", "could not duplicate", or "normal".

More of a minor irritant, since otherwise the V has been nearly flawless. Never had an isolator rattle, wheel click, sunroof squeak, rockin' Recaro or any of the other sundry of complaints.

RapidRob
06-26-13, 06:50 PM

IMO - personally demo the issue to the SA/SM, or a designated mechanic. Much more difficult for them to use the, 'can not duplicate', excuse afterwards.

Rob

Trapspeed
06-26-13, 09:27 PM
IMO - personally demo the issue to the SA/SM, or a designated mechanic. Much more difficult for them to use the, 'can not duplicate', excuse afterwards.

Rob

+1. Exactly.

spearfish25
06-26-13, 10:39 PM
Bumper to Bumper runs out next month so I hopefully I won't get the response: "tire noise", "could not duplicate", or "normal".

The rear diff should be covered under your powertrain warranty which extends beyond the 4 years. Also, anything you've documented with the dealer as an issue, regardless of if they agree in their assessment at the time, is covered after the warranty expires. So if your diff dies after the warranty is gone, you should still be covered even if they 'can't duplicate' your concern when you initially brought it in.

Xaqtly
06-27-13, 02:48 PM
FWIW when mine went I was experiencing both a groaning noise and a high pitched whining noise. I think the key is if it happens on throttle input. The sound will change pitch depending on wheel speed, not gear, and only comes on under throttle input, so if you lift off the noise goes away.

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-27-13, 06:56 PM
OldRoadDawg,

I want to echo the advice that you should see if it would be possible to have somebody ride with you so that you can point out exactly what you're concerned with. Please don't hesitate to get in contact with us if you would like any further assistance.

Sarah (Assisting Laura)
Cadillac Customer Care

spearfish25
06-27-13, 07:13 PM
FWIW when mine went I was experiencing both a groaning noise and a high pitched whining noise. I think the key is if it happens on throttle input. The sound will change pitch depending on wheel speed, not gear, and only comes on under throttle input, so if you lift off the noise goes away.

I have 2000 miles on my car and I can hear a slight whine under throttle from around 40-50mph and again around 65mph. Seems worse when the car is cold. Not going to worry too much at this point. We'll see what happens. If I took it in and complained about it, it's definitely so subtle I'd be told it's normal.

smackdownCTSV
06-27-13, 08:10 PM
Bring it in, let them do the oil change on it. If that doesn't fix it, then it was a bad/underfilled diff and you'll get a new one. Ask me how I know.

dljames9
06-27-13, 10:50 PM
I had this noise also. I thought it was tire noise, but after new tires it stayed the same. I took it to the dealer yesterday, and had the tech ride along and listen. He immediately said the noise was the differential and took it into the shop. He confirmed this, and ordered a new rear end. Today they replaced it, and now it is quiet as a mouse.

spearfish25
06-27-13, 11:01 PM
Ah, ok. I'm driving it 1200 miles to Florida on Saturday. Once I'm there and moved in, I'll take her in. Hopefully it doesn't explode half way there.

FLTRI
07-01-13, 06:36 PM
Took the Vagon in this morning, had the service writer go for a ride with me. He said he was too busy, initially. I told him I could set at his desk and make Rrrrrr & Wah-wah-wah sounds with my mouth while he typed the symptoms for 15 minutes, or we could go for a 2 minute ride. He got my sense of humor, so out we went. He immediately heard the sound and said, "Yeah. That ain't right".

Got a loaner SRX (with CUE, I'll keep my antiquated system, thank you very much) and got a call from the shop just now. Differential is toast, new one is on the way from Reno. Should have the car back in a couple of days...

Trapspeed
07-01-13, 06:54 PM
Good outcome. Just break it in right! You shall be noise free!

FLTRI
07-01-13, 07:19 PM
Yeah I'm pleased, just hope they get it done right.

Now that that is out of the way, I have the rocking Recaro & sunroof noise issues to look forward to. :halo:

Xaqtly
07-01-13, 07:52 PM
And make sure they're putting in the LSD additive too.

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-02-13, 01:41 PM
Took the Vagon in this morning, had the service writer go for a ride with me. He said he was too busy, initially. I told him I could set at his desk and make Rrrrrr & Wah-wah-wah sounds with my mouth while he typed the symptoms for 15 minutes, or we could go for a 2 minute ride. He got my sense of humor, so out we went. He immediately heard the sound and said, "Yeah. That ain't right".

Got a loaner SRX (with CUE, I'll keep my antiquated system, thank you very much) and got a call from the shop just now. Differential is toast, new one is on the way from Reno. Should have the car back in a couple of days...

Hello FLTRI,

I am glad to hear you were able to go for a ride with a service writer at the dealership and he noticed the sound also. Good news they were able to locate the issue and order a new part for you. Let us know how everything goes, and reach out to us with any other concerns or issues! We can be contacted via private message.

Regards,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

FLTRI
07-02-13, 01:53 PM
Hello FLTRI,

I am glad to hear you were able to go for a ride with a service writer at the dealership and he noticed the sound also. Good news they were able to locate the issue and order a new part for you. Let us know how everything goes, and reach out to us with any other concerns or issues! We can be contacted via private message.

Regards,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

Thanks Laura, I am pleased he heard it as well. The noise was very minor, and I had feared that I would have to wait until it got worse before anything was done. And Murphy's Law would probably have it totally fail at the worst possible time, in the worse possible place.

Also, I'm impressed, and somewhat amazed that GM has folks like you whose job it is to peruse these forums, and assist their customers. Say what you want, but it's pretty darn impressive to me. I'll post when the car is done, looking forward to getting it back without the noise...

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-02-13, 05:23 PM
Thanks Laura, I am pleased he heard it as well. The noise was very minor, and I had feared that I would have to wait until it got worse before anything was done. And Murphy's Law would probably have it totally fail at the worst possible time, in the worse possible place.

Also, I'm impressed, and somewhat amazed that GM has folks like you whose job it is to peruse these forums, and assist their customers. Say what you want, but it's pretty darn impressive to me. I'll post when the car is done, looking forward to getting it back without the noise...

You are welcome FLTRI. Thank you for that kind statement. I really appreciate you taking the time to write back and your willingness to keep me updated on your situation.

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

BklynEXT
07-02-13, 06:24 PM
Hello BklynEXT,

I apologize for the inconvenience your vehicle is experiencing. I see you are taking the vehicle in next week. If you would like us to stay invoked throughout the process, please private message us and we can continue our interaction next week to ensure your dealer visit goes well. Also we can be contacted for any other concerns or questions you may have.

Laura M.

----------

Hello FLTRI,

I am sorry your vehicle is experiencing a rear end issue. Are you going to work with a dealership on this concern? Please feel free to private message us so we can further discuss your issues and help work towards a resolution.

Laura M.

I picked the car up today. Waiting for the fluid additive, new lugs and a new key fob. Thank You for your assistance

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-02-13, 08:42 PM
I picked the car up today. Waiting for the fluid additive, new lugs and a new key fob. Thank You for your assistance

Hello BKlynEXT,

You are very welcome! Please let us know if you still experience the issue after those things come in. Thank you for keeping us updated!

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

FLTRI
07-03-13, 03:58 PM
Quiet as a mouse now. Of course, they did manage to run the chin spoiler into something a gouge it...:mad:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/FLTRI/null_zpsecf0ab78.jpg (http://s25.photobucket.com/user/FLTRI/media/null_zpsecf0ab78.jpg.html)

spearfish25
07-03-13, 04:40 PM
Are they fixing the chin spoiler?

My V is getting a new rear diff as we speak. Same sort of issue...whining sound under throttle at 50mph. Service manager heard it immediately, said 'you're getting a new one', and then said that it'll eventually happen to that one too. Boo.

FLTRI
07-03-13, 05:07 PM

My V is getting a new rear diff as we speak. Same sort of issue...whining sound under throttle at 50mph. Service manager heard it immediately, said 'you're getting a new one', and then said that it'll eventually happen to that one too. Boo.

No, I didn't notice it until I stopped for gas on the way home. It's not worth the aggravation. Kinda like sending your food back, someone will spit on it. I'll just touch it up at home. I figure if I complain about it, I have a 50/50 chance of having something else screwed up...

thebigjimsho
07-03-13, 10:41 PM

Your service manager is either a fortune teller or a moron...

spearfish25
07-03-13, 11:16 PM
Your service manager is either a fortune teller or a moron...

Fortune tellers are morons :)

thebigjimsho
07-04-13, 01:14 AM
And there you go.

spearfish25
07-08-13, 12:26 PM
Rear diff replaced. Whine gone.

Trapspeed
07-08-13, 02:22 PM
Awesome.

PNBLWZD
07-20-13, 11:47 PM
So how long is the powertrain warrantee beyond the bumper-bumper on these differentials?

RGaret
07-20-13, 11:49 PM
Has anyone successfully gotten GM to buy their car back under the lemon law for this problem?

Trapspeed
07-21-13, 12:30 AM
So how long is the powertrain warrantee beyond the bumper-bumper on these differentials?

An additional year, I believe.

PNBLWZD
07-21-13, 12:45 AM
Thanks. Yeah just doing some research looks like 5yr/100k miles. I started noticing some noise from the dif when the car is cold and going around corners, looks like I'll be visiting my dealership Monday to use that powertrain warrantee.

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-21-13, 08:54 PM
Thanks. Yeah just doing some research looks like 5yr/100k miles. I started noticing some noise from the dif when the car is cold and going around corners, looks like I'll be visiting my dealership Monday to use that powertrain warrantee. Hello PNBLWZD,

I apologize that you are hearing the same noise when the car is cold and when going around corners. If you wanted to private message me your VIN and mileage, I could give you the exact dates of your warranty coverage. Please keep us updated on the visit to the dealership tomorrow. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

cadzilla32
07-30-13, 02:53 PM
Put me down for one. Took my Sedan in on Friday with the wah-wah-wah blues. 2 minute ride with tech and he said sounds like the diff. Three hours later...Parts ordered for replacement later this week. Frustrating!

PNBLWZD
07-30-13, 04:05 PM
cadzilla32: Does yours make noise cold, when turning, or all the time?

cadzilla32
07-30-13, 04:33 PM
All the time. Sounded like a brake pad rubbing at first but after a couple of weeks I knew it had to be something more serious.

cadzilla32
08-01-13, 12:41 PM
New diff installed yesterday. No noise now! Question: is there a recommended break-in procedure for the new rearend? I am a Manual Sedan. Thanks!

Trapspeed
08-01-13, 02:03 PM
New diff installed yesterday. No noise now! Question: is there a recommended break-in procedure for the new rearend? I am a Manual Sedan. Thanks!

Yes. Vary your speeds, no hard launches and no full throttle application for about 500 miles. Those are the cliff notes and what I did. It's more detailed in the manual, too.

CavemanB52
08-01-13, 02:09 PM
I was told 1500 mile break in by a GM engineer after they replaced mine. No hard launches and no hard excelerations try and keep it to gradual excellerations and the phosphate rear end will get stronger and stronger with use. Till then its brittle and can be broken.

Trapspeed
08-01-13, 02:30 PM
I was told 1500 mile break in by a GM engineer after they replaced mine. No hard launches and no hard excelerations try and keep it to gradual excellerations and the phosphate rear end will get stronger and stronger with use. Till then its brittle and can be broken.

In reality I don't thrash my car so I know it got at least that. :) I'm after longevity!

cadzilla32
08-01-13, 04:24 PM
Thanks guys. Seems reasonable to ease her back into it.

Trapspeed
08-01-13, 04:28 PM
Thanks guys. Seems reasonable to ease her back into it.

You'll be happy you did. These powertrains, by in large, are tried and true strong.

spearfish25
08-02-13, 07:33 AM
I had the rear end swapped at 4300 miles due to whine and the new one is silent. I've been babying her for 1000 miles and swapped the fluid yesterday. It was the best looking gear oil I've ever seen come out of a diff. Magnetic plug barely had anything on it too. Refilled now and just about ready to rock. I'm going to give her another couple hundred miles with the new stuff and then get to work on shaving the rear tires :).

CavemanB52
08-02-13, 05:06 PM
I had the rear end swapped at 4300 miles due to whine and the new one is silent. I've been babying her for 1000 miles and swapped the fluid yesterday. It was the best looking gear oil I've ever seen come out of a diff. Magnetic plug barely had anything on it too. Refilled now and just about ready to rock. I'm going to give her another couple hundred miles with the new stuff and then get to work on shaving the rear tires :).

Sweet. Speeking of burning tires. I'm on my third set of rears. I've had the stock pilot sports 285 35, MT 305 35 and right now Michelin SS 295 35. Has anyone tried the new Nittos 305 35?

boplaw
08-09-13, 03:16 PM
Took it in a couple of months ago and they told me the tires needed replacing before they could diagnose it. Fair enough.

New tires installed and took it back in 2 days ago. SA says "I hear it". He called this morning and said "I been over this with the service manager, our head technician, and Cadillac Tech. We believe that sound is normal".

O'really? So why doesn't my business partner's sedan with the same miles make noise? So I can go drive drive one of yours out of the showroom and it will whine too, right?

"Well, it may be your aftermarket exhaust rubbing on one of the heat shields". MmKay.

Great customer service at Baker Cadillac.

FLTRI
08-09-13, 03:34 PM
Took it in a couple of months ago and they told me the tires needed replacing before they could diagnose it. Fair enough.

New tires installed and took it back in 2 days ago. SA says "I hear it". He called this morning and said "I been over this with the service manager, our head technician, and Cadillac Tech. We believe that sound is normal".

O'really? So why doesn't my business partner's sedan with the same miles make noise? So I can go drive drive one of yours out of the showroom and it will whine too, right?

"Well, it may be your aftermarket exhaust rubbing on one of the heat shields". MmKay.

If they haven't already done it, have them drain the fluid and show you the magnetic plug, before they clean it. Then ask them if the ton of metal shavings on it are normal. When they did mine, it was pretty obvious that it's not supposed to look like an oily fur coat...

quikag
08-09-13, 04:24 PM

Some really lazy dealers and some good ones. I had a HORRIBLE experience at James Wood Cadillac (Denton, TX), took it there 3 times for rear-end noise, even taking the shop foreman for a ride to help show him the noise. They end up driving my car over 50+ miles, changing the radio to a rap station, and messing up my front rotors (wonder how that happened!?!?). I was FURIOUS. They STILL didn't fix it. They claim to have fixed a bearing in the diff, but they totally lied as that's not an authorized repair for a diff noise and they never charged anything to Cadillac for warranty. They basically did nothing, except joy ride my car.

Several days later, I drop my car off at Sewell Cadillac in Grapevine, TX at 7:30am or so. At 4pm ,they call and tell they have replaced the front rotors (new 2 piece!) and front pads and put a brand new diff in the rear-end. 8 hours later they had all that done! I show up at 5pm, the car is already washed and vacuumed out out and they put a whole 7 miles on my car diagnosing the noise. Perfectly acceptable to me. The rear-end is noise is completely gone and has been that way for many thousands of miles since then. Suffice to say, if Sewell Cadillac keeps that kind of service up, they have a customer for life.

Cadillac Cust Svc
08-09-13, 07:33 PM

Hello boplaw,

I apologize that you are experiencing this concern as well. If you would like me to contact your dealership regarding this concern, or would like me to set you up an appointment with another
dealership for a second opinion, please private message me. I would need your name, contact info, VIN, mileage, and dealership you are working with. Thank you very much for taking the time to read my post.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

----------

Some really lazy dealers and some good ones. I had a HORRIBLE experience at James Wood Cadillac (Denton, TX), took it there 3 times for rear-end noise, even taking the shop foreman for a ride to help show him the noise. They end up driving my car over 50+ miles, changing the radio to a rap station, and messing up my front rotors (wonder how that happened!?!?). I was FURIOUS. They STILL didn't fix it. They claim to have fixed a bearing in the diff, but they totally lied as that's not an authorized repair for a diff noise and they never charged anything to Cadillac for warranty. They basically did nothing, except joy ride my car.

Several days later, I drop my car off at Sewell Cadillac in Grapevine, TX at 7:30am or so. At 4pm ,they call and tell they have replaced the front rotors (new 2 piece!) and front pads and put a brand new diff in the rear-end. 8 hours later they had all that done! I show up at 5pm, the car is already washed and vacuumed out out and they put a whole 7 miles on my car diagnosing the noise. Perfectly acceptable to me. The rear-end is noise is completely gone and has been that way for many thousands of miles since then. Suffice to say, if Sewell Cadillac keeps that kind of service up, they have a customer for life.
Hello quikag,

I apologize that you had such a bad experience at the first dealership regarding this concern. I am happy to hear that you had a much better experience at Sewell Cadillac and that they were able to address the concern you were having. Please feel free to reach out to us via private message if you have any further questions or concerns. Thank you very much for posting your experience.

Gregory W
Cadillac Customer Care

the blur
12-03-13, 08:25 PM
Is there a diff club ? I may be a member. 30,000 miles. It's a process, where you need to pay for a diff oil change. Then complain 3 weeks later that the noise is still present. And eventually they'll replace the rear. It's a $1500 part, and $1500 in labor if your out of warranty.

One would think Cadillac would take a Corvette diff, and use it in the V. Something that will take the abuse of a super charger. Part of the problem is the rear tires loose traction in the cold weather. So your spinning the tires without even realizing it. 20 degrees out today, getting on the highway, and the rear is loosing traction. And I wasn't even on the throttle that hard.

CavemanB52
12-03-13, 08:31 PM
Sounds like cold tires and street conditions