: Just changed air shocks

Fleetwood Blaq
02-11-05, 10:54 PM
I just replaced my old factory shocks with some Gabriel air shocks. After a couple of hours the job was complete. Drove to the gas station and filled them up with air. Man!!!! I thought my car rode smooth before. I raised the back a lil high on purpose(I'll probably lower down even tomorrow) and it felt like I was riding on air. The whole drive felt better than ever before. I can even see my entire rear tires(when it was sagging it covered much of the top of the wheel which was hell when cleaning the white walls):coolgleam

caddycruiser
02-12-05, 04:02 PM
I can even see my entire rear tires(when it was sagging it covered much of the top of the wheel which was hell when cleaning the white walls):coolgleam

Don't want to boost it too high! I know what you mean about cleaning the white walls when the top is hidden--it's hell on your fingers and hard to do. But the whole look of the car depends on the top of the back tire being just a little bit hidden...not completely out.

Katshot
02-12-05, 05:09 PM
I must point out one little thing here. I know you are real happy now but beware that the rear upper shock mounts will not take the strain of the increased load for too long. The shocks are NOT supposed to hold so much of the rear load, especially on a permanent basis. This WILL cause the upper shock mount to fatigue and fail. Once that happens, you're looking at getting a welder to repair the frame section that gets damaged when the mount fails.

Fleetwood Blaq
02-12-05, 05:29 PM
Damn!!!:banghead: What should I do to prevent this future problem?

Katshot
02-12-05, 05:50 PM
Replace your springs! They and their mounts are designed to handle the load. Hell, it's easier to replace springs than shocks.

Fleetwood Blaq
02-12-05, 06:55 PM
Should I get load leveling springs? Easier than shocks, cool, I might have to do that tomorrow. Any info on good springs because now I'm nervous about my shocks/frame. How can I be sure my springs are bad?

Katshot
02-13-05, 09:53 AM
I've used a number of different springs and can't really tell you of any that are better or worse than others. I DO like Monroe products personally though. The easiest way to tell if you need springs is to dump the air out of the air shocks and see how the car sits when supported only by the springs. If it's sagging, the springs are bad. It's just that easy.

Fleetwood Blaq
02-13-05, 07:12 PM
I ordered some Duralast Heavy Duty Coil Springs from Autozone. They should be here wednesday and i'll probably put them on thursday. I don't drive too much and my car is not heavily loaded. How long do you think I have riding on these shocks before something happens.

jackfoot
02-14-05, 01:16 AM
how do you put air into the shocks?

Katshot
02-14-05, 05:52 AM
I ordered some Duralast Heavy Duty Coil Springs from Autozone. They should be here wednesday and i'll probably put them on thursday. I don't drive too much and my car is not heavily loaded. How long do you think I have riding on these shocks before something happens.

You say "heavy-duty" coils. Are they "progressive" spring-rate springs? If not, all you're going to end up with is a stiff ride.
The damage to the frame caused by over-loading the shock mounts takes a while to manifest itself, I wouldn't sweat it for a short while.

Fleetwood Blaq
02-14-05, 06:31 AM
Yes they are variable rate. You run air lines from the shocks to a t shaped adapter that has a air fill tip like on tires. You just fill er up at the gas station like you do your tires.

scurling
02-14-05, 06:20 PM
Hey Fltwd Blaq:

Where did you mount the air valve? I recently installed the Monroe Air Max myself and connected them to the factory installed air line. I have an open electircal circuit in the compressor wiring, so I'm waiting for better/warmer weather to fix it. In the mean time, i may just install the manual air fill valve.

thanks

Fleetwood Blaq
02-14-05, 07:56 PM
I installed it under the bumper. There are holes already in the frame under the bumper. That makes it easier to inflate/deflate the shocks.