: Powder coat stock wheels

2007V
06-25-13, 10:01 AM
I was trying to have a set of wheels powder coated but my local shop is having extreme difficultly removing the factory paint. Does anyone know of a stripper that will work or a shop that I can send them to for strip/powder coat ?

Thanks

EdmundGTP
06-25-13, 02:56 PM
Sand blasting...

RyRidesMotoX
06-26-13, 01:15 AM
Take it somewhere that knows how to strip a wheel? I would be kinda sketched about it if they called me and asked me how to do what I perceive as their job. Just my opinion.

thefulmonty_07
06-26-13, 05:41 AM
Yea it's kinda weird that they can powder coat, but they can't strip a wheel. I'd imagine that shops that powder coat have sand blasters.

2007V
06-26-13, 09:46 PM
They don't want to sandblast because that will rough up the AL. They found a soda blaster but it wasn't cost effective. It's a small shop that does motorcycle parts and guns usually and it's a buddy I work with so I just pester him with progress. The other issue is the chemical stripper they use they can no longer get and the replacement isn't near as good.

voodoochikin04
06-27-13, 01:03 PM
take it to any tire shop.... they seem to be good at stripping the factory paint.. :histeric:

RyRidesMotoX
06-28-13, 10:42 AM
take it to any tire shop.... they seem to be good at stripping the factory paint.. :histeric:

^^^ This... Damn tit jockeys at discount always seem to get something looking nasty

PJGross
07-02-13, 04:21 PM
I had 2 stock crappy chromed rims media blasted by my local powdercoat shop. They waited till they were about ready to change the media, then worked on the chrome. Took 80 bucks in labor each for them to get it off. Only slight pitting. The 2 that were painted were cake, though. No issues. The powdercoat was thick enough that all but the worst corrosion induced pitting was covered by the black PC.

I'm not sure what media they used but they didn't have any issues with the factory paint.

-PJ

2007V
07-03-13, 12:25 PM
Awesome, thanks PJ. I guess having these powder coated is a real investment. I hope they turn out.

PISNUOFF
07-03-13, 05:35 PM
You want them roughed up by the blasting for better powder coat adhesion anyhow.

253ctsv
07-06-13, 03:37 PM
So I've heard powder coating may or may not compromise the structural integrity of the wheel. I'd eventually like to track mine and don't want to risk thousands of doll hairs in damage. Thoughts and experiences?

RyRidesMotoX
07-07-13, 11:39 AM
Companies can say that, but the powder coating (if done competently) will not. There was a HUGE war against the entire motoring community and a company called COR wheels a while back. A mustang, new 5.0, pretty much broke his wheel spokes in half around a turn... Happened right after I passed him on the track ironically enough... Kinda makes me wish I was a tad slower so I could have got it on video... Anyways COR said that the wheel was PAINTED and that caused it to fail because of the PAINTING process. Well correct me if I'm wrong but brakes get RED HOT and a good amount of heat transfers to wheels as that heat dissipates. Wheels are built drauble for a reason. They need to withstand some pretty brutal conditions. Oh and the fracture of the wheel spokes??? Right around the hub. If you have good meaty wheels I wouldn't worry about it at all. The stockers are built like a brick shit house. The wheels the mustang owner had were all show and no go though. The spokes were wafer thin and maybe the painting process did weaken the wheel but its for others to judge, I'm no metallurgist. Anyways here is the link to the jalopnik article. Long story short... Bad wheels are bad wheels... Get stuff that's good and you can run em hard but get stuff that's bad and you are screwed. Even really expensive wheels like HREs are warrantied but they say to replace a dedicated track wheel every like 3 seasons or something.

http://jalopnik.com/5953859/this-guys-wheel-self+destructed-and-the-company-who-made-it-is-blaming-him?utm_source=io9.com&utm_medium=recirculation&utm_campaign=recirculation

My video... Fast forward to +/- 18 minutes its a grey mustang in a pack of 3... I think it was 2 new 5.0s and a pro charged 4.6L. The old guy in the 4.6 was cool though. We all thought the guy didn't torque his wheels lugs so we were kind of joking around at his expense. They black flagged it after he wrecked and took everyone off so they could tow the car, you can see it and the wheel sitting there as we pass to go into the pits. It was in a fairly high speed corner too. I was going through at at least 60-70mph all day depending on traffic. Oh and by the way, notice that it happened about 100 yards before you go onto the front banked oval straight and hit over 140 mph. That dude would have gotten FUUUUUUUUUUUUKED up if that wheel had let go 10 seconds later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP6daI9Kg1o&feature=youtube_gdata_player

253ctsv
07-07-13, 10:29 PM
Yeah I read the article about that. Which is why I was thinking about plastidip instead of powder coat...

RyRidesMotoX
07-08-13, 05:08 AM
Those wheels blow dogs for quarters... Short of throwing your stock wheels in a volcano, you can't hurt them with paint or powder coating. I plasti dipped mine though... Can't go wing for $25 and I still have extra to do the grill and emblems if I want.