: Seats, uncomfortable?

CZ4
06-25-13, 09:20 AM
Anyone else struggling to get comfortable in their cars?

I've tried almost every seat and steering wheel position, and I get neck and shoulder discomfort almost everytime after a drive.

My car is a 2.0T Luxury(Standard seat and suspension), no sunroof.

I'm 6'2, about 165lbs with long limbs, wouldn't consider myself very big.

Edmunds Long Term Test mentions the something similar: http://www.edmunds.com/cadillac/ats/2013/long-term-road-test/2013-cadillac-ats-20t-drivers-seat-lacks-comfort.html

I find the headrest is getting in the way of a perfect seating position. The lumbar support does help my lower back, but it's almost too low, almost where my tailbone is. My shoulder also feel very cramped around the seat-belt/B-pillar area.

Anyone else have similar problems? Am I doing it wrong?

MASCAD
06-25-13, 09:57 AM

I've tried almost every seat and steering wheel position, and I get neck and shoulder discomfort almost everytime after a drive.

My car is a 2.0T Luxury(Standard seat and suspension), no sunroof

Edmunds Long Term Test mentions the something similar: http://www.edmunds.com/cadillac/ats/2013/long-term-road-test/2013-cadillac-ats-20t-drivers-seat-lacks-comfort.html

I find the headrest is getting in the way of a perfect seating position. The lumbar support does help my lower back, but it's almost too low, almost where my tailbone is. My shoulder also feel very cramped around the seat-belt/B-pillar area.

Is the headrest adjust to the most rearward position?

CZ4
06-25-13, 10:18 AM
Is the headrest adjust to the most rearward position?

Yup, tried all adjustments.

For the headrest, up/down, inwards/outwards, anything I'm missing?
I feel if i could bent the headrests back a bit, it would solve a lot of my discomfort issues.

Hoosier Daddy
06-25-13, 11:04 AM

My car is a 2.0T Luxury(Standard seat and suspension), no sunroof.

I am sorry you are having this problem. You probably aren't doing anything wrong. You could just be someone who isn't a great match for the seats. I hope you can find the "best" settings though. I also thought the lumbar support should be higher but it was still okay for us.

While it doesn't help you, for anyone else reading this thread before buying any car, try to take an extended drive (3-4 hours) in a car with the same seats (and other ergonomics) before buying. It might be a hassle but you will likely have the car for years so make sure there aren't any comfort surprises. I knew to do that because my wife's back is sensitive but even if it wasn't that doesn't mean the seat was designed right. Fortunately for US the Premium/Performance seats felt great.

CZ4
06-25-13, 11:32 AM
are the front seat headrests removable? I just tried and couldn't get it out.

M5eater
06-25-13, 11:35 AM
The seats I found were on the firm side of firm. Not quite the concrete nature of the Recaro's in the V, but a far cry from being able to mold to whatever shape your body happens to be in.

My old B5 was worse though, I couldn't go for more than 2 hours without searing lower back pain in that car.

MASCAD
06-25-13, 11:55 AM
are the front seat headrests removable? I just tried and couldn't get it out.

The owners manual (section 3) has this statement:

"The front seat outboard head
restraints are not designed to be
removed."

David
06-25-13, 12:30 PM
Everything like this is relative, of course; sorry you are having a problem. I find the seats in the ATS (I have the Premium) to be extremely comfortable; almost as good as my '92 Allanté's Recaro seats.

CZ4
06-25-13, 12:43 PM
What's the difference between the premium/upgraded seats vs the standard?
I was only aware of the thigh adjust.

Lorne
06-25-13, 01:16 PM

t is getting in the way of a perfect seating position. The lumbar support does help my lower back, but it's almost too low, almost where my tailbone is. My shoulder also feel very cramped around the seat-belt/B-pillar area.

I have had the exact same issue as you, CZ4. I could have written your post! It felt OK when I was driving, but after coming out of the car, my neck, shoulders, and back felt really uncomfortable. I also felt that the headrest was too far forward in its rearmost position, and that the lumbar support was too low -- I wish it could be raised.

But I found a solution! I bought an ObusForme Lowback backrest support, and that solved everything. It looks like this:

The lumbar support on the ObusForme can be adjusted, and there is a strap which goes around your seat, so it stays in place. It also allows the proper amount of room for your neck not to be cramped by the headrest.

You can either order one directly from ObusForme (Canadian link below), or they also have at Amazon and WalMart.

http://www.obusforme.com/sit/back-supports/the-obusforme-lowback-backrest-support-2645.html

CZ4
06-25-13, 01:54 PM

Thanks! I'll look into it. They even have burgundy/morello red :)

Dave3283
06-25-13, 06:05 PM
Nooooo, that takes away all the work that has been done to remove the old man stigma.
I'm three months in now. First couple weeks were ok, then had about a month of discomfort and playing with the settings.
I came to realize this is a sports sedan and you have to sit in it as such.
Have your hips slightly higher than your knees, recline the back more. Contrary to most cars, do not have the lumber support fully extended.
Make sure when you get in the car it is butt first, then legs.

cdp
06-25-13, 11:38 PM
I find the seats uncomfortable on longer drives. As mentioned in an earlier post, the lumbar support is very low and is not height adjustable like it was on my BMW. Also, I can't raise the front of the seat bottom compared to the back unless I have the seat bottom very low. I had to resort to a lumbar pillow on longer drives, which helps some. The seat seems less uncomfortable on days I have worked out and stretched, but only marginally so.

compdok1
04-02-15, 11:57 AM
I am having the same problem with terrible shoulder and neck pain. I notified GM 5 months after getting the car and they were totally disinterested with helping me. I have opened a new case and received a call from GM Customer support. They say that the seats are designed properly and that the pain is my problem. So much for the New CEO's statement that customer satisfaction is GM's first priority.

----------

There used to be a time when GM would bend over backwards to satisfy their customers. Now all that they want to do is bend you over.

Gavinallan1
04-02-15, 12:52 PM
XTS seats are heavenly...

DavidATS
04-02-15, 01:03 PM
I am having the same problem with terrible shoulder and neck pain. I notified GM 5 months after getting the car and they were totally disinterested with helping me. I have opened a new case and received a call from GM Customer support. They say that the seats are designed properly and that the pain is my problem. So much for the New CEO's statement that customer satisfaction is GM's first priority.

----------

There used to be a time when GM would bend over backwards to satisfy their customers. Now all that they want to do is bend you over.

What do you want them to do?

I am very happy with the seats in my car.

mozark
04-02-15, 01:44 PM
I’ve modified the driver’s seats in my last two pickups to make them more comfortable for my aching back. My dealer wouldn’t alter the seats for me due to liability concerns. However, before buying the first truck I talked to a service tech who had suffered a back injury. He couldn’t do anything for me but he told me what he did to his truck’s seat. Those changes to the seat-back's structure and lumbar support worked for me too.

I’ve resisted the urge to alter my ATS driver’s seat but I know I could make improvements.

rsingl
04-02-15, 02:20 PM
I think the seats in my 2008 CTS might have been a bit more comfortable but I just got back from a trip to the MS gulf coast which was an 800 mile one day drive each way and I found the ATS seats were perfectly comfortable for the nearly 12 hour drive. I do readjust the seat a little bit during the drive but otherwise it was straight through except for 2 fuel stops.

Sometimes you have to experiment with seat and steering wheel adjustment to find the best setting for extended driving, what seems comfortable initially is likely sub-optimal for an extended trip.

I kept the cruise around 78-80 for most of the trip with a trip average mileage of 26.7 including around 200 miles of stop and go on the coast so I am pleased with the economy. I changed the oil just before the trip and now at 2,000 miles after the change it is still at the top of the hash marks. Besides having to deal with several warranty repairs when new to take care of a problem with the evaporative emissions system this car has been a good ownership experience.

craigd13
04-02-15, 03:42 PM
I am having the same problem with terrible shoulder and neck pain. I notified GM 5 months after getting the car and they were totally disinterested with helping me. I have opened a new case and received a call from GM Customer support. They say that the seats are designed properly and that the pain is my problem. So much for the New CEO's statement that customer satisfaction is GM's first priority. ---------- There used to be a time when GM would bend over backwards to satisfy their customers. Now all that they want to do is bend you over.

I had an interaction with GM corporate and they were extremely helpful. They took ownership of the problem and saw it through to completion.

I think it's obvious that there's not much you could expect them to do for you.

rriddle3
04-03-15, 12:35 AM

----------

:thehand: troll.

rustybear3
04-03-15, 07:54 AM
I'm 64 years old and find my Premium ATS seats to be most comfortable. It is a sports car and the seats are designed to be as such; nevertheless they are comfortable to me on long trips and not fatiguing. I'm 6' 2" as well and find I have plenty of leg room and lateral support. Adjusting the lumbar support from time to time changes the comfort level for me.

gvc803
04-03-15, 10:51 AM
When I took my test drive, how the seats fitted me was a major factor. Test drove an Audi and hated how I felt in the car. I knew pretty much right away I wasn't going to buy. But , with the ATS, it was the opposite feeling. It did take some adjusting , of course, to get it right for my body, but when I did , it seemed to fit me like a glove.

bdwalters
04-03-15, 11:36 PM
The seats on mine were cutting off the circulation to my legs at first. It took me a while to find just the right settings, but now I'm comfortable. I actually sometimes wonder if seats these days have too many adjustments. My old Miata seats would slide forward and back and recline. That's all. Yet I always found them perfectly fine.

clempot911
04-04-15, 04:50 PM
The seats on mine were cutting off the circulation to my legs at first. It took me a while to find just the right settings, but now I'm comfortable. I actually sometimes wonder if seats these days have too many adjustments. My old Miata seats would slide forward and back and recline. That's all. Yet I always found them perfectly fine.

I feel the same way. Why is it I can get into a vehicle that has just plain seats and feel perfectly comfortable, yet I have cars with the 8-way adjustable seats and have to fiddle with the settings for a long time before I get it to be acceptable? Actually I think what happens is I finally give up and live with it.

2014CrimsonRedATS
04-05-15, 11:15 AM
No, I'm 6'1" 190 and the seats are great !

quaraong
04-09-15, 01:54 AM
yeah, I think ats seat was meant to be "sports" design. its definitely more comfortable in the cts, srx, and acura tl.

for me, the seats are fine. but strangely, I feel like my body always shifts a little to the left while driving

----------

wait.. woot?

u mean

-open door
-throw my body, butt down to the seat
-then move my legs in?

hmm. gotta try this new (for me) entry technique :)

Nooooo, that takes away all the work that has been done to remove the old man stigma. I'm three months in now. First couple weeks were ok, then had about a month of discomfort and playing with the settings. I came to realize this is a sports sedan and you have to sit in it as such. Have your hips slightly higher than your knees, recline the back more. Contrary to most cars, do not have the lumber support fully extended. Make sure when you get in the car it is butt first, then legs.

Sergio526
06-19-15, 06:36 AM
The problem with the headrest is due to IIHS testing. They dock points if the headrest can be moved more than two inches from your head. Sounds nice, but they don't take the measurement at an optimum 5-10 degree seat incline, they take it at the American average 25 degree incline. Those of us who like to drive sitting up straight are punished with a forward neck posture (I wonder how the European headrests are, may consider a swap).

As for the lumbar, I agree, way too low. Maybe it has something to do with sitting up straight too. I'm getting pretty close to opening up the seat to see if it can be moved up! Has anyone else tried this?