: 2011 CTS-V Trailer Hitch: Curt Class I Hitch with 1 7/8” Euro Ball Mount

RudyR1999
06-25-13, 10:03 AM
I wanted to share my experience with installing a trailer hitch on my 2011 CTS-V. The installation is a lot more involved than the instruction manual suggests. In addition to the steps laid out in the instruction manual you have to:

- Installation is a 2 man job unless you have a lift and remove the mufflers.

- Cut and notch out sheet metal on the passenger side trunk. This sheet metal is part of a rail used to create the battery mount. With it there the mounting plate is unable to sit flush with the trunk floor. It is a small piece of sheet metal (about the size of a quarter) and it does not affect any structural integrity. A cutting wheel and hammer are needed.

- The instructions say to mark the holes with a punch. After inspecting the trunk floor and seeing that the holes will go through 2 to 3 layers of sheet metal I came to the conclusion that marking them with a punch is damn near impossible.

- The instructions say to line up the trailer hitch to the frame end plates for marking the holes. If you do this and start drilling you will notice that the hole closest to the frame end plate is somewhere beyond the trunk floor and out of sight. Luckily I drilled only one hole on both sides and that hold was the first hold towards the front of the car. I used these holes as reference of where my holes needed to be. Also the holes are perpendicular to the trunk wall. I used the mounting plates to mark the holes for drilling.

- I attempted to get the trailer hitch as far rearward as possible. Doing this puts a riveted bolt in the way of putting a nut and socket on the most rearward mounting hole on the driver’s side. I had to use a hacksaw to trim the riveted bolt so I could install the bolt and nut.
Luckily the friend who helped me is a mechanic/fabricator/gear head who owns every tool known to man. It was a 3 hour job for us. Knowing what I know now. I would graciously pay an auto shop $250 for installation.

Since installation I have hauled a jet ski, a trailer hauling my oldest child's dirt buggy, and my Thule hitch cargo carrier.

-Rudy

mr weather
06-25-13, 12:41 PM
Wow that's a pretty involved job. I've been contemplating putting a hitch on my V as well but strictly for bike carrying purposes. I put one on my previous car (Pontiac G8) and the hardest part was cutting the muffler heat shields. The hitch bolted up easy-peasy using the existing frame rail holes.

baabootoo
06-25-13, 12:56 PM
I put one on my 2009 sedan and it was easy and it surprised me! The notches lined up great with the sheet metal "bumps". Once we torqued it down, all was well. I just lowered the mufflers after taking off the rubber mounts. Did you have the correct hitch? I see that they have a different one for the sedan than the coupe.

beneseagal
06-25-13, 01:04 PM
Why would you want to put a hitch on a $65k+ "super car"? It says in my manual the v is not meant to nor designed for use of a hitch. In my opinion they look tacky.

baabootoo
06-25-13, 01:09 PM
With that small trunk and no folding seat, it's handy as heck! You can even see these ones either.

RudyR1999
06-26-13, 08:01 AM
Why would you want to put a hitch on a $65k+ "super car"? It says in my manual the v is not meant to nor designed for use of a hitch. In my opinion they look tacky.

I enjoy driving my V. Why should that be taken away when I want to haul a jet ski or my son's off road buggy?

----------

I put one on my 2009 sedan and it was easy and it surprised me! The notches lined up great with the sheet metal "bumps". Once we torqued it down, all was well. I just lowered the mufflers after taking off the rubber mounts. Did you have the correct hitch? I see that they have a different one for the sedan than the coupe.

I'm going to take some pictures in a day or two. Keep your eyes posted and take a look to see how they compared to your install.

Random84
06-26-13, 10:48 AM
Nice post - I look forward to the photos, but as a suggestion you might want to specify the body style of your V in your original post.

I'd imagine there are some differences between the Coupe and the Sedan/Wagon rear ends (and exhaust layout) that might impact the relative ease of install. It might also explain why you had troubles and others say it's cake?

elphil
06-26-13, 02:04 PM
I posted my hitch installation on my wagon a few months ago. I only use it for a bicycle rack. Installation is difficult. A mechanic friend and I did it in my garage.

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad120/elphil_photo/IMG_0162.jpg (http://s927.photobucket.com/user/elphil_photo/media/IMG_0162.jpg.html)

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad120/elphil_photo/IMG_0169.jpg (http://s927.photobucket.com/user/elphil_photo/media/IMG_0169.jpg.html)

beneseagal
06-29-13, 05:27 PM
I enjoy driving my V. Why should that be taken away when I want to haul a jet ski or my son's off road buggy?

----------

I'm going to take some pictures in a day or two. Keep your eyes posted and take a look to see how they compared to your install.
To each is own, I have truck for my jet boat and snowmobile etc. I just personally wouldn't dream of towing with my v. Good luck