: Oil pan gasket

lx5.0
06-24-13, 10:31 PM
How hard is it do change what's required to to do so I can change it cuz I have a leaking one.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App (http://www.autoguide.com/mobile)

AAIIIC
06-24-13, 10:41 PM
First, you have to buy punctuation. Then you have to use it so you can communicate coherently. Then you buy the oil pan gasket and replace it.

darkman
06-24-13, 10:47 PM
The Service Manual procedure calls for a motor lift up top to hold the motor while you drop the whole front cradle. (See attached.) The flat rate time allowance for the job is 9.9 hours. (Hourly rates vary by geographic area and shop type. Small shops in my area charge $60/hour while dealers charge over $100/hour.) I will leave it to others as to whether there is a workable short-cut procedure.

For what it is worth, I find my oil pan covered with a thin coat of oil every time I change the oil. I never add any oil between changes and, in fact, I have to drain oil from my oil catch can with each oil change. So I think the oil pan "sweats oil" or perhaps it is power steering fluid on the oil pan. The power steering system spills fluid from time to time and a small amount of thin oil can cover a lot of metal.

robojesus
06-25-13, 10:50 PM
Same here darkman. I have drops of fluid coming out of my weep drain between my engine and trans, but do not lose any oil whatsoever. Very strange.

When I pulled my oil pan to grab a fallen bolt, I unbolted all the obtainable bolts, jacked the motor up by the bellhousing, lowered the cradle, got the rest of the bolts out, pulled the pan down.

Realistically, you can drop the cradle in 45 minutes, just do it slowly 1 bolt at a time, 1 side at a time up top (to loosen your struts), and try to keep a few threads hanging on... you can do it. If you lose the cradle, you could bend up some brake lines, and you're not gonna be a happy camper.

While you're removing your cradlemonster, might want to throw some motor mounts in there too, especially since you'll be unbolting the bottom bolt to lower the cradle.

PISNUOFF
06-26-13, 08:18 AM
Clean the entire bottom half of the motor with brake cleaner and be sure where the leak is coming from. If it is coming from the pan gasket I would try snugging the bolts before changing it.

If you change it, you will need to drill out a rivet or two to remove the gasket from the pan. Also put a dab of silicone on the 4 'corners' where the front and rear covers intersect, this is commonly where LS motors leak.

JosephScott
07-01-13, 11:57 AM
The part number in MAHLE which is original equiptment is 12612350.

SevillianSTS
07-02-13, 01:34 PM
Between engine and trans would be the rear main seal. Had mine replaced at 70k miles due to an oil leak.

PISNUOFF
07-04-13, 01:27 PM
Sometimes the liquid weeping out from the bottom of the bell housing is simply condensation mixed with clutch fibers.

lx5.0 - Have you had a chance to clean it up and see where it's coming from?

lx5.0
07-05-13, 11:02 PM
Yeah I saw leak its coming from around oil pan its not big but its leaking. And it looks like a PITA to get to

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App (http://www.autoguide.com/mobile)