: Front plate holder??

sandcracker21
06-24-13, 07:50 PM
I have had my 08 CTS4 now for about 18 months and have never had an issue with not having a front plate in Chicago. Behold the last 10 days I have now gotten two expensive parking tickets because I refuse to drill into my front bumper or place an ugly huge bracket there.

Does anyone know how to rig a temporary setup for when I park? Or something else that wont be so ugly? Thanks in advance for any help

The_Judge
06-24-13, 07:57 PM
You can be busted for not having a front plate while you're driving, too. They're essential to automated tolls, etc. Fines can be a lot stiffer than for parking. Why give the cops yet another reason to pull you over?

Hugo Stiglitz
06-25-13, 06:55 AM
You're lucky, I bought my 2010 CTS and the front plate bracket was already screwed in.
And whatever dealer did it used large screws, the holes in my front bumper are 3/4" wide.

Check out these links for some front license plate options, they're hideaway front plates that can retract,
but you could use it as an alternative mounting spot for your caddy.
Unfortunately they work for me because if I take the plate bracket off there's 4 large ugly holes in my front bumper.

http://www.pfyc.com/GN1046.html

http://ls1tech.com/forums/multimedia-exchange/1189988-automatic-front-license-plate-hider.html

http://www.hidetheplate.com/

There's a lot of places online that had a version of this.
Hope this helps,

- Justin

tinman
06-25-13, 10:18 AM
Before you do anything, check out the CTS-V forum. They have had lots of discussion about this very topic. Someone makes a plate holder that screws into the tow hook in front so you don't have those damn holes in your bumper.

RAB
06-25-13, 05:03 PM
^ As info.. the tow hook female threaded anchor point integral with the front & rear bumper (found on all '08 & '09 cars) was removed on CTS production sometime during calendar year 2010. Some of the later build 2010 m-y CTS's may not be equipped with it, and all 2011-2013 m-y CTS's (built for North America) don't have it. This info was learned here in 2012.
And I purchased a specialized tow hook in late 2011 from GM (for $50+) for my '11 CTS for what reason? :annoyed:

sandcracker21 - no, do not drill into your front bumper! You can apply the front LP bracket lower down (compared to the standard dealer application) using just 2 long cable ties. For it to work (using the factory supplied bracket) the bracket needs to go on upside down. The cable ties can be threaded through the openings in your lower grille. If you need any tips send me a PM.

hauler
06-25-13, 08:11 PM
You're lucky, I bought my 2010 CTS and the front plate bracket was already screwed in.
And whatever dealer did it used large screws, the holes in my front bumper are 3/4" wide.
- Justin
They use large rivets, that can be carefully drilled and leave 1/4 inch holes or hogged out like the damage you are describing. I drilled mine and made a bracket from sheet aluminum to reuse the holes, and at the same time center the plate on the bumper. The bracket is behind the plate and doesn't show. A picture is in my forum album.