: o2 censor problem

Tec
02-11-05, 05:27 PM
I'm new to the forum and need some help.

I own a 2000 Catera, bought used from a private party. I've got about 45K miles on it now. I recently replaced the alternator then about a week later the engine light came on. I pulled the codes and it indicated a problem with the o2 censors so I had them replaced. The engine light is still on indicating the same problem.

Precision Tune recommends I take the car into a Dealer. Before I do this I'd want to know what I'm in for...
Up until the time I replaced the alternator the car drove like a dream. Smooth, with plenty of power; now its really slugish and uses a lot of gas.
Any ideas as to whats going on and/or what I should do next. Obviously, I like to avoid the hight ticket from a dealer if possible.

I also have always had the problem of loosing coolant. I understand from comments in this forum that this problem may be related to the radiator cap and is a relatively easy fix. I need to know exactly what I need to do to correct this problem.

Thanks, any help is appreciated!

Vesicant
02-14-05, 07:49 PM
I'm new to the forum and need some help.

I own a 2000 Catera, bought used from a private party. I've got about 45K miles on it now. I recently replaced the alternator then about a week later the engine light came on. I pulled the codes and it indicated a problem with the o2 censors so I had them replaced. The engine light is still on indicating the same problem.

Precision Tune recommends I take the car into a Dealer. Before I do this I'd want to know what I'm in for...
Up until the time I replaced the alternator the car drove like a dream. Smooth, with plenty of power; now its really slugish and uses a lot of gas.
Any ideas as to whats going on and/or what I should do next. Obviously, I like to avoid the hight ticket from a dealer if possible.

I also have always had the problem of loosing coolant. I understand from comments in this forum that this problem may be related to the radiator cap and is a relatively easy fix. I need to know exactly what I need to do to correct this problem.

Thanks, any help is appreciated!

Id take it back to the place that replaced the sensors and get them to see whats wrong. What were the codes that you pulled?

I havent seen nor heard anything about the radiator cap being the issue on the forum here..? is there a thread you could give a link to ?

but as for the coolant issue, do you notice any steam comming from the back of the engine compartment while driving or notice puddles on the ground? Coolant light come on? What does the coolant look like in the reservoir? The other issue with this could be that the oil cooler could be taking in coolant (Its cooled by it and if it cracks or looses a seal). Or its something leaking like the auxillary water pump.