: Dialing from cell phone

shortshift
06-24-13, 02:38 PM
Every car I have owned in the last ten years has automatically downloaded my contacts list upon pairing with my phone. I am being told that the CTS doesn't have that feature. I am finding it hard to believe I can't ask my car to dial a number, by name, from my paired phone.

Any insight or help would be appreciated! !!

USAFRET
06-24-13, 03:23 PM
You need to manually load your contacts into the cars address book via verbal commands. The procedure is in the Owner's Manual. It's a PITA but it works.

mr weather
06-24-13, 03:27 PM
Looking at the owner's manual it appears that if your phone supports voice commands there is a "Pass-Thru" option that allows you to access the contacts in your phone verbally. I haven't tried it so I don't know how well it works.

Xaqtly
06-24-13, 04:11 PM
Yeah you can either manually load your contacts into the CTS system, or you can access your phone's contacts by way of the handsfree bluetooth commands. I haven't tried it with android, but at least for the iPhone you can voice dial from your phone's contacts like this:

1. Hold down the voice button on the steering wheel, and when it beeps say "hands free"
2. When it says ok and beeps again, say "Bluetooth"
3. When it says "bluetooth ready" and beeps again, say "voice"

This will activate Siri on the iPhone. You will then hear Siri's double ding indicating it's ready for voice commands, and just talk to it like you would normally talk to Siri. Ex. "Call Sylvester Stallone". Siri will do all the work, bypassing the CTS's voice system entirely, and the call will go through over bluetooth and the car's speakers. You can also use Siri this way just like you would normally, so you can ask it for the weather, or what the time is in Istanbul or whatever.

RGaret
06-24-13, 04:23 PM
I think this is because when the V was designed, GM didn't want to allow Bluetooth connectivity. They wanted everything to go through OnStar. I think the Bluetooth thing was an afterthought.

67 455 Bird ragtop
06-24-13, 04:23 PM
Yeah you can either manually load your contacts into the CTS system, or you can access your phone's contacts by way of the handsfree bluetooth commands. I haven't tried it with android, but at least for the iPhone you can voice dial from your phone's contacts like this:

1. Hold down the voice button on the steering wheel, and when it beeps say "hands free"

This will activate Siri on the iPhone. You will then hear Siri's double ding indicating it's ready for voice commands, and just talk to it like you would normally talk to Siri. Ex. "Call Sylvester Stallone". Siri will do all the work, bypassing the CTS's voice system entirely, and the call will go through over bluetooth and the car's speakers. You can also use Siri this way just like you would normally, so you can ask it for the weather, or what the time is in Istanbul or whatever.

Thanks. I'll try this on my new 2013 on the way home. Will report back ...

Trapspeed
06-24-13, 05:37 PM
Try just holding the home button down to access Siri. It'll bypass all the extra steps. That's what I do.

67 455 Bird ragtop
06-24-13, 05:41 PM
Try just holding the home button down to access Siri. It'll bypass all the extra steps. That's what I do.

If you mean the home button on the iPhone. That works. But the method above works just fine, tried on my way home from work. Plus you don't have to fiddle with your phone. Hands and eyes can remain on the task of driving. The less I really need to tough/handle my phone while driving the better.

Trapspeed
06-24-13, 08:11 PM
I hear that. I can push the button while it's in my pocket and seated because it's so easy to find.

Zhariak
06-24-13, 09:19 PM

Just to help out a bit, you actually don't have to say bluetooth...

Just:

1. Press the voice button, then say handsfree.
2. Say "Voice"

shortshift
06-24-13, 10:05 PM
Tried it on my Samsung android, which has siri like application and it does work as described. "Hands free" then "voice" then "dial Jenny mobile" and bingo it's dialing. I also did the same and dictated a text and bingo it sent a perfectly typed text!

Acceptable and convenient work around.

Thank you to all!

Shortshift

RapidRob
06-24-13, 10:10 PM
^^^ - S3 or S4? I'm shopping for a new phone right now ...

Rob

shortshift
06-24-13, 11:07 PM
Galaxy Note 2....very large but absolutely love it!

Zhariak
06-25-13, 08:43 AM
Tried it on my Samsung android, which has siri like application and it does work as described. "Hands free" then "voice" then "dial Jenny mobile" and bingo it's dialing. I also did the same and dictated a text and bingo it sent a perfectly typed text!

Acceptable and convenient work around.

Thank you to all!

Shortshift

It's a sweet feature! I have a Windows Phone, and when people text me, it actually reads texts out and let's me reply with voice using the bluetooth in the V. It's awesome...

miroad
06-25-13, 01:01 PM
Thanks very much! I've had a wagon for almost three years and didn't know that. I never did input all of my contacts and now I don't have to. I have a 2014 Vagon on order and won't have to go through the laborious process with it. Much appreciated.

FinestKind-CTS-V
06-25-13, 07:38 PM
Just to help out a bit, you actually don't have to say bluetooth...

Just:

1. Press the voice button, then say handsfree.
2. Say "Voice"

That does not work on my 2012 sedan and iPhone 4S
Have to say "hands free" wait for the prompt then say "Bluetooth" wait for the "ready" reply then say "voice"
Then Siri comes on and does whatever's I ask of her.....love that lady!

brian-nicola
06-25-13, 08:49 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love the "V" and bought for the looks and the speed but hear this Cadillac;. My wife's SRX lease expired this year. She compared the new SRX to hers...no noticeable improvements. We then looked at the Jeep Cherokee SRT, Cadillac better smarten up, cause that SRT is ten times the SUV in all area's, and I have never been a Chrysler fan, but WOW. BTW, full integration to her I-phone, just like you were looking at it and a absolutely killer sound system, makes my V sound like a portable AM radio.

Zhariak
06-25-13, 09:16 PM
That does not work on my 2012 sedan and iPhone 4S
Have to say "hands free" wait for the prompt then say "Bluetooth" wait for the "ready" reply then say "voice"
Then Siri comes on and does whatever's I ask of her.....love that lady!

Weird... Maybe there's a software update avail...

Both my 12 V Coupe, and 13 V coupe, you don't need to say bluetooth... You did on initial paring, but not to use it... I just say "handsfree, then dial" or "Handsfree, then voice".

USAFRET
06-26-13, 07:46 PM
Bummer, just tried this with my 2011 and new Motorola RAZR MAX - no joy.

Guess the 2011's are barely BT enabled.