: Best "Bang for the Buck" Mod

TKDalumni
06-24-13, 02:22 PM
Hey Guys,

New to the V, but not modding. Just picked up a V-Coupe and wanted to improve on the already awesome performance. Car is a lease, so don't want to get too crazy, but what are the best BFTB mods? I see some Caddy tax at most big vendors, so would love to hear some input from the forum.

TIA

montgb
06-24-13, 05:41 PM
Airaid intake. If you ball-so-hard, lighter forged wheels.

Anything else doesn't provide a significant benefit or requires tuning.

vfaninva
06-24-13, 06:25 PM
Second on the Airaid. Noticeable SOTP HP feel and SC whine increase.

quikag
06-24-13, 06:58 PM
Airaid. Get it.

TKDalumni
06-24-13, 08:15 PM
How much bang do you get for the buck though? My experience is that intake does not add much horsepower. How about lower pulley and a tune? That can be reversed, right?

Random84
06-24-13, 09:18 PM
carbon fiber driveshaft? :D

ptrd
06-24-13, 09:59 PM
HPDE's seriously.

The difference between an average driver and a good driver are more than mods can normally get over, plus it's much cheaper.

Crystal Red CTS-V
06-24-13, 10:17 PM
How much bang do you get for the buck though? My experience is that intake does not add much horsepower. How about lower pulley and a tune? That can be reversed, right?

If you look inside the stock intake you'll see several u-shaped tubes to reduce noise, not helping performance. The airaid seems to really wake the LSA up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIwuW1ovkW4

Luna.
06-24-13, 10:37 PM
Just get it tuned

MPNX2
06-25-13, 01:06 AM
Just get it tuned
Does just a tune offer an advantage on an all stock motor

tkracing
06-25-13, 11:26 AM
Thought I recognized the screen name.... Still have the TT? She is a beauty!

I too have a leased V and decided to go with some springs, exhaust and a few new body parts. Left the engine alone so I wouldn't deal with any issues from dealership even though they were OK with a CAI. Good luck with the mods and enjoy your new ride.

Hey Guys,

New to the V, but not modding. Just picked up a V-Coupe and wanted to improve on the already awesome performance. Car is a lease, so don't want to get too crazy, but what are the best BFTB mods? I see some Caddy tax at most big vendors, so would love to hear some input from the forum.

TIA

stl_ls1gto
06-25-13, 11:29 AM
Does just a tune offer an advantage on an all stock motor
yes, you can pick up probably around 15-20whp, and alot under the curve with just a 93 octane tune if available to you......also most likely pick up some fuel mileage if you do a good part throttle street tune adjusting the fuel and timing while cruising on the highway. This would work well with an intake as well if you are going to do it anyway, but not necessary if you are leasing.

I would recommend getting a second ecm and put the tune on that, when you return the car, put the original stock ecm back in, and sell the extra to one of us on here.

spearfish25
06-25-13, 11:35 AM
HPDE's seriously.

The difference between an average driver and a good driver are more than mods can normally get over, plus it's much cheaper.

Agree this is the ultimate mod but its FAR from cheaper. Most HPDEs are $250/day with another $250 per event for insurance if you want it. Add maintenance needs on top and you're spending serious coin. But I can tell you it's the most fun mod you'll ever do with your car and you'll be a killer driver after you do it regularly for a few years.

Random84
06-25-13, 11:40 AM
Agree this is the ultimate mod but its FAR from cheaper. Most HPDEs are $250/day with another $250 per event for insurance if you want it. Add maintenance needs on top and you're spending serious coin. But I can tell you it's the most fun mod you'll ever do with your car and you'll be a killer driver after you do it regularly for a few years.

The hard part is finding them - but I would say that when people spend $400 on an intake, $4-6K on wheels, $2K on audio systems, $2000 on exhaust systems, $600-1200 on protective films/clear bras, $1500 on carbon-wrapped whatever... etc - HDPE's are not terribly expensive comparatively.

And drag strips are cheap - we numbnuts with manuals can practice no-lift shifts there "legally." :D

stl_ls1gto
06-25-13, 11:44 AM
The hard part is finding them - but I would say that when people spend $400 on an intake, $4-6K on wheels, $2K on audio systems, $2000 on exhaust systems, $600-1200 on protective films/clear bras, $1500 on carbon-wrapped whatever... etc - HDPE's are not terribly expensive comparatively.

And drag strips are cheap - we numbnuts with manuals can practice no-lift shifts there "legally." :D

While they are more common in the southwest and on the east coast, I bet there is a track hosting driving events or driving schools within 4 hours of most anyone in the US.

spearfish25
06-25-13, 12:39 PM
While they are more common in the southwest and on the east coast, I bet there is a track hosting driving events or driving schools within 4 hours of most anyone in the US.

Agreed. By HPDE I mean road courses. The drag strip is fun and competitive but you're not learning anything about vehicle dynamics.

TKDalumni
06-25-13, 02:52 PM
Haha..no TT anymore..thx for the compliment. Springs are already bought and going on ASAP. Which did you do? Any issues? Might do exhaust if I can find on the cheap....just wondering what that , intake, and tune would yield as far as power..and the cost

Thought I recognized the screen name.... Still have the TT? She is a beauty!

I too have a leased V and decided to go with some springs, exhaust and a few new body parts. Left the engine alone so I wouldn't deal with any issues from dealership even though they were OK with a CAI. Good luck with the mods and enjoy your new ride.

tkracing
06-25-13, 09:24 PM
That must of been extremely hard to let go. That car was so bad ass! Good to see you aboard.

I have the Corsa exhaust and no issues at all. Little popping at deceleration which some people don't like but doesn't bother me. Installed D3's comp springs and again no issues. Eibachs seem to be the most popular though. Good luck with the modding and enjoy the car.

Haha..no TT anymore..thx for the compliment. Springs are already bought and going on ASAP. Which did you do? Any issues? Might do exhaust if I can find on the cheap....just wondering what that , intake, and tune would yield as far as power..and the cost

Luna.
06-25-13, 09:41 PM
Does just a tune offer an advantage on an all stock motor Tremendous value. Up to ~50 rwhp, tune alone. GM left a lot to be gained

MPNX2
06-26-13, 10:15 PM
Tremendous value. Up to ~50 rwhp, tune alone. GM left a lot to be gained

Man sign me up! Where is a good place to get a tune in So Cal

Trainman SRT-10
06-26-13, 10:36 PM
Man sign me up! Where is a good place to get a tune in So Cal

See Charlie at RPM Motors (661-299-6587) in Santa Clarita, close to Magic Mountain. I have a 2012 CTS V Coupe, 6-speed manual. Pure stock it made 458 rwhp @ 6,200 rpm, after tuning 493 rwhp @ 6,550 rpm (483 rwhp @ 6,200 rpm). then installed AIRAID w/ dry filter, made 515.6 rwhp. Went to the strip...12.24 @118.91 on street tires. 91 octane tune.

fastpharmd
06-26-13, 10:51 PM
I would agree with the airaid intake and tune. I used a diablo tune for 93 octane. No dyno but ran a 12.1x @ 120mph on all-season tires. I very much think with the pilot super sports I intend to get I can get into the 11s.

Airaid was easy to install in about an hour or two and tune just a few minutes (can always get a custom tune made if you want).

MPNX2
06-30-13, 01:48 PM
See Charlie at RPM Motors (661-299-6587) in Santa Clarita, close to Magic Mountain. I have a 2012 CTS V Coupe, 6-speed manual. Pure stock it made 458 rwhp @ 6,200 rpm, after tuning 493 rwhp @ 6,550 rpm (483 rwhp @ 6,200 rpm). then installed AIRAID w/ dry filter, made 515.6 rwhp. Went to the strip...12.24 @118.91 on street tires. 91 octane tune.

I am in that area a lot...in fact I bought my V at Parkway. Next time I am in the area I will swing in and talk with him. Thanks for the contact info