: 98 deville ses lights

rob01ct
02-11-05, 12:26 PM
can anyone help me, i own a 1998 deville for about 8 months now 90,000. the ses light just came on. here's the problem. i went to a autozone for a free check and was told the codes where something about right and left cyclinders misfiring and some other miss firing, please excuse me as i do not have the exact code numbers. they told me i needed two oxygen sensors and that i had a bad plug or wire. so next i brought it to the dealer who told me the same codes about the misfiring but told me i needed new head gaskets and that the lower case is leaking oil $4300.00. what do you guys think, i have never seen a oil spot in my driveway in 8 months. the car runs just about perfect maybe a little ruff when you first start it but only for a minute or two. any help please
robert

DS1784
02-11-05, 05:04 PM
autozone is in business to sell parts, not diagnose cars. remember that, please. the free check will just pull trouble codes, it will not run trouble tree's or they will not do a complete diagnoses. face it most of them are staffed by $8.00 an hour parts counter people, not technicians. find a good local shop and work with them, you get what you pay for.

Ranger
02-11-05, 06:10 PM
First of all, you can pull the codes yourself. Simultaneously press and hold the OFF and WARMER buttons til the dash lights up. The codes will be displayed on the bottom. Most likely you need plugs and wires.

Are you loosing coolant? If not, your head gaskets are likely fine. To confirm head gaskets you need to pressurize each cylinder with shop air and/or pressurize the cooling system.

The lower case half "could" be leaking but be advised it is not under pressure so, if infact it is, it will be nothing more than a niusance seepage and an oily oil pan. Rarely drips to the ground.

Don't panic. Start with plugs and wires. Stick with OEM parts. Very easy to do yourself.