: Power steering pump whine...

Pitbull14218
06-24-13, 11:11 AM
Hi i was driving a lot yesterday and it was a hot day, the truck started to get hard to turn (right) with the steering wheel. Then it started to whine, so I checked the power steering fluid and it was a little low, I filled it to the appropriate level (hot) since I was driving a lot and it was hot.

Still whining.. Can barely turn the steering wheel to the right, I think air got in it so how do I bleed it?

Thank you

Pitbull14218
06-24-13, 11:13 PM
I tried to bleed it through the hydroboost/high pressure line?!? And I blew a brake line pushing so hard on the brakes :( stupid salt! It's at the shop hopefully they can bleed the power steering properly, unless its another issue.

the cadillac man
06-25-13, 01:23 AM
I tried to bleed it through the hydroboost/high pressure line?!? And I blew a brake line pushing so hard on the brakes :( stupid salt! It's at the shop hopefully they can bleed the power steering properly, unless its another issue.

Not sure if your truck has it but mine has the speed sensitive steering and the valve sounds like it has stuck
Sucks about your brake line though I hope the shop can get your truck fixed

Pitbull14218
06-26-13, 10:08 PM
Brake line is fixed, apparently there is a service bulletin on the power steering for these and other trucks due to this problem?

If I give gas the steering wheel becomes easier to move but not much when driving slow like in parking lots.

It's strange, turning left is perfectly fine but turning right is like manual steering.

Anyone else have this problem?

the cadillac man
06-26-13, 11:26 PM
Brake line is fixed, apparently there is a service bulletin on the power steering for these and other trucks due to this problem?

If I give gas the steering wheel becomes easier to move but not much when driving slow like in parking lots.

It's strange, turning left is perfectly fine but turning right is like manual steering.

Anyone else have this problem?

Its because of the variable assist steering feature
Go to any gm dealer and tell them about the steering and I will bet they will know what your talking about
Its called speed sensitive steering and the valve the works it sticks (fails) as it ages
I seem a guy at my local gm dealer with the same problem with a 98 escalade and that was the cause

Pitbull14218
06-27-13, 08:15 PM
Its because of the variable assist steering feature
Go to any gm dealer and tell them about the steering and I will bet they will know what your talking about
Its called speed sensitive steering and the valve the works it sticks (fails) as it ages
I seem a guy at my local gm dealer with the same problem with a 98 escalade and that was the cause

Where's the valve located? Can I just replace the valve or is it part of the steering box?

the cadillac man
06-28-13, 12:02 AM
Where's the valve located? Can I just replace the valve or is it part of the steering box?

I think you can just replace the valve but I haven't had to have it done so I am not sure

Pitbull14218
07-04-13, 01:40 PM
I'd like to rename this thread but I can't edit it? My truck has no power steering at slow speeds when turning right, anyone have an idea what this code be? I wouldn't think its the power steering pump since left hand turns seem fine.

the cadillac man
07-04-13, 02:27 PM
I'd like to rename this thread but I can't edit it? My truck has no power steering at slow speeds when turning right, anyone have an idea what this code be? I wouldn't think its the power steering pump since left hand turns seem fine.

Did you replace the valve I mentioned in my previous post?
If not that is the cause of your problem

Pitbull14218
07-04-13, 03:45 PM
Did you replace the valve I mentioned in my previous post?
If not that is the cause of your problem

I don't know where it's located? Can I buy a replacement valve?

the cadillac man
07-04-13, 06:13 PM
I don't know where it's located? Can I buy a replacement valve?

Yep you can get a replacement valve

I don't know where its at myself(would have to look at my service manual)

I would have a dealer do this job

TLMC
07-04-13, 07:17 PM
You need to replace your pump.

Pitbull14218
07-04-13, 10:25 PM
You need to replace your pump.

What makes you think it's the pump? It turns left just fine.

If I only knew how it all works together because obviously the pump only spins in one direction, so what makes it apply pressure in a way to turn both left and right.

TLMC
07-07-13, 09:04 PM
Its called a spool valve inside the pump.

Pitbull14218
07-08-13, 05:12 PM
Its called a spool valve inside the pump.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/steering4.html

I don't think it's called a spool valve, nor is it in the pump, its not in the pump that causes that, it's the rotary valve that allows pressure in a certain direction to turn either way. but either way i purchased an AC Delco pump for a good deal, hopefully its that otherwise I believe it could be the steering box.

the cadillac man
07-08-13, 06:24 PM
http://www.howstuffworks.com/steering4.html

I don't think it's called a spool valve, nor is it in the pump, its not in the pump that causes that, it's the rotary valve that allows pressure in a certain direction to turn either way. but either way i purchased an AC Delco pump for a good deal, hopefully its that otherwise I believe it could be the steering box.

I have a bit of free time I am going to look at my service manual right now and clear this up once and for all(too much false claims)

Will update in a bit

----------

Ok update

There is two valves in the power steering system

You have a control valve(in the back of the pump) most likely NOT your problem

You also have a variable assist steering actuator on the back side of the power steering pump(this is most likely your problem)

No you do not have to replace the pump for either valve

How do I know this I am looking at my gm service manual as I type this post(anybody want to make me out to be a lier)

And yes the pump only turns one way

Pitbull14218
07-09-13, 04:30 PM
I have a bit of free time I am going to look at my service manual right now and clear this up once and for all(too much false claims)

Will update in a bit

----------

Ok update

There is two valves in the power steering system

You have a control valve(in the back of the pump) most likely NOT your problem

You also have a variable assist steering actuator on the back side of the power steering pump(this is most likely your problem)

No you do not have to replace the pump for either valve

How do I know this I am looking at my gm service manual as I type this post(anybody want to make me out to be a lier)

And yes the pump only turns one way

I looked for wires connected to the power steering pump and I couldn't find any for the EVO, so I figured maybe my truck doesn't have it?

I tried to look on rock auto for valves related to power steering so I could try to buy a replacement but no luck. Also there is a pressure relief valve which uses spring pressure to counteract the discharge pressure of the pump, once the pump pressure becomes too high it overcomes the pressure relief valve/spring. Maybe that pressure relief valve is stuck closed and my pump created too much pressure and blew a seal in my steering gear box.

I figured the new pump would have the evo or variable assist valve on it so maybe when I replace it, it will fix the problem.

the cadillac man
07-09-13, 05:19 PM
I looked for wires connected to the power steering pump and I couldn't find any for the EVO, so I figured maybe my truck doesn't have it?

I tried to look on rock auto for valves related to power steering so I could try to buy a replacement but no luck. Also there is a pressure relief valve which uses spring pressure to counteract the discharge pressure of the pump, once the pump pressure becomes too high it overcomes the pressure relief valve/spring. Maybe that pressure relief valve is stuck closed and my pump created too much pressure and blew a seal in my steering gear box.

I figured the new pump would have the evo or variable assist valve on it so maybe when I replace it, it will fix the problem.

I would check with a gm dealer on the valves not sure if they can be bought aftermarket before you replace the pump

Because if it blew a seal in the steering gear box the truck would leave a spot when you park and it would burn the pump up quickly

Pitbull14218
07-09-13, 07:18 PM
I would check with a gm dealer on the valves not sure if they can be bought aftermarket before you replace the pump

Because if it blew a seal in the steering gear box the truck would leave a spot when you park and it would burn the pump up quickly

Hmm, it definitely doesn't leave spots on the driveway. Thank you for your help by the way, I definitely will post what fixes the problem and I will investigate the cause, I've searched so many forums and I feel like no one posts exactly what fixed it.

the cadillac man
07-09-13, 11:39 PM
Hmm, it definitely doesn't leave spots on the driveway. Thank you for your help by the way, I definitely will post what fixes the problem and I will investigate the cause, I've searched so many forums and I feel like no one posts exactly what fixed it.

Glad to help and I would like to hear of the outcome

Pitbull14218
07-13-13, 07:36 PM

Replaced the pump, problem is still there...

Luckily it was only $50, and it was something I was capable of doing, took 5-6hrs, wasn't that easy.

The old and new pump do not have electronic connections, the instructions spoke of an electronic variable assist steering(if vehicle equipped). So I guess at least a 2002 Escalade EXT doesn't come with the electronic assist.

Here's pics of the old pump to show what it looked like.

The two shiney holes are where the studs are that I had to reuse for the pump bracket

The bottom left hole had the stainless fitting that has a couple bends and then is crimped to the rubber steering hose.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m81/pitbull14218/null-5.jpg

This is the front of the pump with the shaft, and the holes to mount it to the bracket.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m81/pitbull14218/null-6.jpg

Here's a break down on the steps to do the job.

Tools: 15mm socket for most bracket bolts.

Not sure the size but I used wrenches for flare fittings, not sure what theyre called but you don't want to use a crescent wrench on the steering line fittings because you don't want to strip them.

Breaker bar- to get the alternator off because that needs to be removed too.

Took off the engine cover, air intake and then alternator.

Then removed the power steering pump bracket with the power steering pump still bolted to it.

Then drove to advanced auto (in another vehicle) and used their pulley puller to remove the pulley to then get to the bolts that hold the pump on the bracket. Yes the bolts are behind the pulley and thats the only way to removed it from the brakcket.

Then basically everything is reversed to install again.

the cadillac man
07-13-13, 08:14 PM
Replaced the pump, problem is still there...

Luckily it was only $50, and it was something I was capable of doing, took 5-6hrs, wasn't that easy.

The old and new pump do not have electronic connections, the instructions spoke of an electronic variable assist steering(if vehicle equipped). So I guess at least a 2002 Escalade EXT doesn't come with the electronic assist.

Here's pics of the old pump to show what it looked like.

The two shiney holes are where the studs are that I had to reuse for the pump bracket

The bottom left hole had the stainless fitting that has a couple bends and then is crimped to the rubber steering hose.

This is the front of the pump with the shaft, and the holes to mount it to the bracket.

Here's a break down on the steps to do the job.

Tools: 15mm socket for most bracket bolts.

Not sure the size but I used wrenches for flare fittings, not sure what theyre called but you don't want to use a crescent wrench on the steering line fittings because you don't want to strip them.

Breaker bar- to get the alternator off because that needs to be removed too.

Took off the engine cover, air intake and then alternator.

Then removed the power steering pump bracket with the power steering pump still bolted to it.

Then drove to advanced auto (in another vehicle) and used their pulley puller to remove the pulley to then get to the bolts that hold the pump on the bracket. Yes the bolts are behind the pulley and thats the only way to removed it from the brakcket.

Then basically everything is reversed to install again.

Gm must of had it as a option but the whining may be the belt

Pitbull14218
07-13-13, 09:29 PM
Gm must of had it as a option but the whining may be the belt

The belts fine, the whining must be the pump fighting something, it only whines when turning right when the problem is there-no power steering.

I wonder what vehicles the electronic variable assist is on, but its definitely not on my truck.

Next step is steering box i suppose, but now ill take it to my mechanic because I'm not capable of that.

the cadillac man
07-14-13, 12:50 AM
The belts fine, the whining must be the pump fighting something, it only whines when turning right when the problem is there-no power steering.

I wonder what vehicles the electronic variable assist is on, but its definitely not on my truck.

Next step is steering box i suppose, but now ill take it to my mechanic because I'm not capable of that.

Could be a line or the box

Pitbull14218
07-14-13, 01:55 AM
Could be a line or the box

Yeah I was thinking it might be a line or something being clogged because after everything was installed and I was pouring power steering fluid into the reservior I accidentally overflowed it but then capped it and figure it would go down a lot since all the lines were empty, but basically it turned out to be the perfect level of fluid. It did to down to proper operating level but I figured I would need to fill it again. But guess not.

bigirb2002
07-14-13, 04:02 PM
To properly fix this u must get all the air out. Jack the escalade up so both wheels off the ground. Place switch to on but dont start the truck. Turn wheel all the way to left then all the way to right for 10 min. Start truck and turn wheels again. If sound gone ur done if not turn off and keep bleeding. When u have all air out it will quiet down.

Pitbull14218
07-14-13, 06:39 PM
To properly fix this u must get all the air out. Jack the escalade up so both wheels off the ground. Place switch to on but dont start the truck. Turn wheel all the way to left then all the way to right for 10 min. Start truck and turn wheels again. If sound gone ur done if not turn off and keep bleeding. When u have all air out it will quiet down.

Why would I have proper power steering turning left but not right and not have problems turning both directions if it was air?

the cadillac man
07-14-13, 06:46 PM
Why would I have proper power steering turning left but not right and not have problems turning both directions if it was air?

I am starting to think its more likely the steering box

Pitbull14218
08-22-13, 08:20 PM
I am starting to think its more likely the steering box

So I put Lucas power steering stop leak(supposed to also fix the internal seals in the steering boxes or rack and pinions). No luck, still the same problem... So I had to pay up, cost me $340 out the door for new steering box, problem solved!!!!

So happy to be driving my truck again! But ever since I installed the power steering pump my belt tensioner/pulley squeals. It's because since I loosened the tensioner to remove the belt, the pulley of the tensioner now rides on a different part of the bearing compared to where it was riding before it was ever touched.

So where should I buy my belt tensioner? What brand, its the one at the top left of the engine near the intake tube.

the cadillac man
08-23-13, 12:00 AM
So I put Lucas power steering stop leak(supposed to also fix the internal seals in the steering boxes or rack and pinions). No luck, still the same problem... So I had to pay up, cost me $340 out the door for new steering box, problem solved!!!!

So happy to be driving my truck again! But ever since I installed the power steering pump my belt tensioner/pulley squeals. It's because since I loosened the tensioner to remove the belt, the pulley of the tensioner now rides on a different part of the bearing compared to where it was riding before it was ever touched.

So where should I buy my belt tensioner? What brand, its the one at the top left of the engine near the intake tube.

I got mine at my local gm dealer when I had the belt replaced

jnrsesv
08-23-13, 08:23 AM
I bought Auto Zone tensioners, both main serpentine and AC. I have had no issues with them.

spirit man
08-23-13, 01:10 PM
I just left the dealership for the whine noise. They said my steering gear box was leaking and needed to be replaced. The part is $522 with 3 hours of labor. The total was $916. Has anyone done this? I saw a reman unit for $300.

the cadillac man
08-23-13, 01:44 PM
I just left the dealership for the whine noise. They said my steering gear box was leaking and needed to be replaced. The part is $522 with 3 hours of labor. The total was $916. Has anyone done this? I saw a reman unit for $300.

Ouch I would of asked if they could have got you a cheaper price my dealer does when I ask

Pitbull14218
08-24-13, 12:01 PM

I just had steering box replaced for $340 out the door, they said the part was $200 and 2 hours labor.

Pitbull14218
08-24-13, 04:43 PM
Also just fixed my belt squeal, it was because when i installed the power steering pulley I didnt install it far enough so the belt was squealing. Went to Autozone and used their tools :)

the cadillac man
08-24-13, 08:32 PM
Also just fixed my belt squeal, it was because when i installed the power steering pulley I didnt install it far enough so the belt was squealing. Went to Autozone and used their tools :)

That's great

spirit man
09-01-13, 01:37 AM
I'm getting another shop to do it for $500 on Wednesday with a lifetime warranty on the box. They will also handle the labor if it stops working again.

bigirb2002
09-08-13, 04:07 AM
hey grab a can of lubro moly mos2(from napa) put 75% in the oil and put the rest in powersteering pump. trust me you wont regret

spirit man
09-18-13, 07:30 PM
So I had the steering gearbox replaced. However, I can still hear the noise when the truck has warmed up when I turn to the left. It's not every time, but it's annoying as all get out! I contacted the shop that did the work and they said check the oil level and add if needed. Well, I didn't drive it for 2 days. I was a little below the cold level. I filled as needed. It still does it. I need this noise gone!

bigirb2002
09-21-13, 09:52 PM
put about 20% lubro moly in ps fluid and pour the rest in the oil.(this will make ur truck a ps unit smooth). now time to bleed. then jack the truck up so both front wheels is off the ground. take cap off power steering unit. turn key on but dont start. turn the wheel all the way left then all the way right. repeat 100 times. lower truck start. if noise still there repeat the bleeding process

SugsPa
09-30-13, 01:21 PM
My escalade is doing the same. My wife called me and said she can't hardly turn the wheel to the left but it turns just fine to the right. It goes in the shop tomorrow to find out what the problem is. I'll post it on here when I know. It had a remanufactured steering gear box put on it less than a year ago.

SugsPa

SugsPa
10-01-13, 03:30 PM
It was the steering gear. It was just replaced last November with a remanufactured gear. GM gets to pick up the tab this time to replace it, parts and labor under warranty.

SugsPa

Cadillac Cust Svc
10-01-13, 05:11 PM
It was the steering gear. It was just replaced last November with a remanufactured gear. GM gets to pick up the tab this time to replace it, parts and labor under warranty.

SugsPa

Hello SugsPa,

I am sorry for the steering gear issue you experienced with your Escalade. I am glad the dealer is able to replace this for you under parts and labor warranty coverage. If there are ever additional concerns or questions that arise, don't hesitate to contact us via private message.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

SugsPa
10-02-13, 04:29 PM
Thanks Laura,

So far the dealer is taking care of it. I should be able to pick it up tomorrow.

SugsPa

Cadillac Cust Svc
10-02-13, 06:30 PM
Thanks Laura,

So far the dealer is taking care of it. I should be able to pick it up tomorrow.

SugsPa

You are welcome, SugsPa. I hope your Escalade is back in your hands tomorrow and working properly!

Regards,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care