: 2006 STS timing chain issue

packsfan430
06-24-13, 12:06 PM
Hey everyone,

I graduated college just a few months ago and immediately got my first job (yay) so I went out looking for my first big boy car. I browsed dealers and classifieds and my eyes caught an 06 cadillac STS. The car was immaculate...flawless inside and out. I took it to my mechanic and upon further review everything came out just fine. I went ahead and purchased the vehicle with just under 75k miles. I was, and still am, absolutely in love with this car. I went so far as to convince my brother-in-law to lease his next car from GM because I wanted to start my loyalty to them from this car on-wards. Now comes the sad part...after a few months, the check engine light went on and I took it into my local cadillac dealer to get it checked out. $150 fee later, I was told the timing chain needed to be replaced. At first, I thought everything in cars were belts and rubber...never had I heard of a chain (not a car guy by any means.) They also told me it would cost a solid $2500 to fix!!! After picking my jaw up off the floor, I decided to call GM while my car was in the shop and ask if there was anything they could do. The warranty on the vehicle had expired less than a year ago from the original owner and I was hoping they could somehow extend that or at least help me out somehow. I left the car at that dealer for about 3 days while I waited for GM to call me back. Once they did, I did not even know if I was talking to GM...I kept getting transferred between lines...and not to discredit any of their employees on how much they know, but I kept getting connected to individuals with very poor english and it was a very hard time understanding them most of the time. After the 3 days they finally called me and told me there was absolutely nothing they can do. I told them I had googled this issue and ALOTTTT of users with cadillacs 2005 and up with a 3.6liter engine were reporting timing chain issues on so many cadillac forums...and the individual's response was "we are not aware of any issues regarding this vehicle and timing chains at this time...sorry." I was blown away...how can they disregard this? I have spent the past 3 weeks looking through forums where so many owners have had this issue and have reported it to GM....I convinced a family member to lease their current vehicle from GM...now I am not so sure that was a good idea at all from the way I was treated. Being a young member of society and striving to maximize my earning potential, I am sure this will not be the last car I own...and based on this experience, it may be the last GM.

Aside from all of this nonsense, are there any suggestions/recommendations from STS owners who have endured this issue before? Does anyone know how long the chain lasts after it has been diagnosed with the need for replacement? Any help would be greatly appreciated since Cadillac provided me with absolutely ZERO support. Thanks a lot!

targetSTS
06-24-13, 12:28 PM
As what i do at your place:
1. Buy timing chain kit. Just parts would cost about 500$
2. Find a good repair shop which can make it for a reasonable price. It should be much less than 2000$. Nothing too hard and about 2 days to make.

packsfan430
06-24-13, 12:30 PM
Really? and are the chains brand or type-specific??

MoistCabbage
06-24-13, 02:57 PM
There are specific chains for each engine, if that's what you're asking.

KRSTS
06-24-13, 02:59 PM
Have the dealer check the VIN for a special warranty on the timing chains. I have a 2008 and I have a 10 year 120K mile warranty on the chains.

1BadCadSTS
06-24-13, 06:26 PM
07-08 only. 05-06 didn't get $hit

curtc
06-24-13, 07:46 PM
:yeah: They were mostly out of warranty when GM issued the extended coverage for the 3.6 timing chains so those owners got screwed even though they have the same motor (2007s)....

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-25-13, 01:17 PM
Hey everyone,

I graduated college just a few months ago and immediately got my first job (yay) so I went out looking for my first big boy car. I browsed dealers and classifieds and my eyes caught an 06 cadillac STS. The car was immaculate...flawless inside and out. I took it to my mechanic and upon further review everything came out just fine. I went ahead and purchased the vehicle with just under 75k miles. I was, and still am, absolutely in love with this car. I went so far as to convince my brother-in-law to lease his next car from GM because I wanted to start my loyalty to them from this car on-wards. Now comes the sad part...after a few months, the check engine light went on and I took it into my local cadillac dealer to get it checked out. $150 fee later, I was told the timing chain needed to be replaced. At first, I thought everything in cars were belts and rubber...never had I heard of a chain (not a car guy by any means.) They also told me it would cost a solid $2500 to fix!!! After picking my jaw up off the floor, I decided to call GM while my car was in the shop and ask if there was anything they could do. The warranty on the vehicle had expired less than a year ago from the original owner and I was hoping they could somehow extend that or at least help me out somehow. I left the car at that dealer for about 3 days while I waited for GM to call me back. Once they did, I did not even know if I was talking to GM...I kept getting transferred between lines...and not to discredit any of their employees on how much they know, but I kept getting connected to individuals with very poor english and it was a very hard time understanding them most of the time. After the 3 days they finally called me and told me there was absolutely nothing they can do. I told them I had googled this issue and ALOTTTT of users with cadillacs 2005 and up with a 3.6liter engine were reporting timing chain issues on so many cadillac forums...and the individual's response was "we are not aware of any issues regarding this vehicle and timing chains at this time...sorry." I was blown away...how can they disregard this? I have spent the past 3 weeks looking through forums where so many owners have had this issue and have reported it to GM....I convinced a family member to lease their current vehicle from GM...now I am not so sure that was a good idea at all from the way I was treated. Being a young member of society and striving to maximize my earning potential, I am sure this will not be the last car I own...and based on this experience, it may be the last GM.

Aside from all of this nonsense, are there any suggestions/recommendations from STS owners who have endured this issue before? Does anyone know how long the chain lasts after it has been diagnosed with the need for replacement? Any help would be greatly appreciated since Cadillac provided me with absolutely ZERO support. Thanks a lot!

Hello packsfan430,

Congrats on graduating college and welcome to the forum! I apologize for the timing chain issue you are experiencing with your STS. We are here to offer our assistance the best we can. If you private message me with your VIN and current mileage, I can check information associated with your vehicle.

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

packsfan430
06-25-13, 07:25 PM
Guys, I have just responded to Laura...I'll keep you updated as to what they do in regards to my issue. Thanks to everyone who chimed in!

curtc
06-25-13, 07:54 PM
I'll ignore the fact that you're a Packer fan since you're a fellow Caddy owner ;)

Good luck with your timing chain adventure!

packsfan430
06-25-13, 08:16 PM
Haha we offered a peace treaty in Jennings and Bishop!!!

Submariner409
06-25-13, 09:40 PM
Lotsa luck. Same as the Northstar head gasket issues, same as the oil leaks, same as the 3.6 oil consumption problems, same as the persnickety FWD suspension vibrations; and the list goes on and on - GM will placate and make mushy sounds but will do absolutely nothing......... That costs money and they won't give you the sweat off their butts.

We're in a DIY car in a DIY world. If you like the marque enough you'll suck up the price of ownership; otherwise you'll switch to Lexus or Hyundai. Yes, a Cadillac can be repaired or patched up - but never expect one to be anywhere close to trouble-free or long-term reliable.

"Cadillac" is no longer Cadillac - it's the exact same piece of throw away merchandise as a cell phone or laptop - the price is a bit higher.

dkozloski
06-25-13, 09:49 PM
FWIW, HP laptops can be fixed and there is lots of help available on YouTube. Too bad they don't make cars.

MurrayP
06-25-13, 11:28 PM
Let's see, a car that is essentially 8 years old and you are expecting an extended warranty on a part that has a high failure rate? Back in the early 70's if your car lasted 8 years before having to be scrapped you were doing well. When I was starting out (in the late 70's), I think I had a Monza - not a Cadillac. Yes, I had to throw it out after a very few years but of course, it wasn't new when I got it.

packsfan430
06-26-13, 07:31 AM
Buddy for a car that is 8 years old, and still holds a value of nearly $11k, you are absolutely right that I will hold such expectations on warranties. Again, I just graduated college...with a ton of loans...and decided to take on yet another one because I deemed this product worthy. GM should acknowledge not just my decision to buy one of their cars, but each individual that has posted here and owns a GM vehicle. Yes sure this is an idealistic thought...and what I am saying is but a dream in a dog-eat-dog world, but I assume this is why someone had the idea to put CadillacForums.com together in the first place...to bring enthusiasts and owners together in one place so they can get the help they otherwise would not be able to get alone.

KRSTS
06-26-13, 11:46 AM
GM should acknowledge not just my decision to buy one of their cars, but each individual that has posted here and owns a GM vehicle.

GM actually sold this car 8 years ago - to a dealer.

MurrayP
06-27-13, 12:03 AM
Hi packsfan430 - I do love your reasoning. I just wish folks who should maybe consider something more economical are into cars that can bankrupt a large percentage of the population with a single dealer visit - is all! I bought a 2008 N* last month and am planning to take it the last 100K or so at whatever it costs vs spending $50K+ on a new one with warranty (which I cannot afford in the first place). What's the worst that can happen? I spend $10K on motor/trans and have a $10K car to show for it?

These are big numbers (to me) and I certainly don't want to have to do it but I went into this purchase with this reality in mind. I had a 1998 540i last summer that I would drive on the occasional Sunday (it was a 3rd car). I was scared to death of the potential cost of that $4K car. I learned how to do some of my own mechanics and replaced the cooling system a-z on that baby - $1,500+ in parts would have been >$4K at the dealer. I was fortunate to sell it in Sept for what I paid for it a year earlier (less all the parts). Point is when we buy older cars that are out of warranty we need to buy what we are comfortable with. The 98 540i was totally uncomfortable for me. The 2008 STS V8 is rather comfortable as a daily driver. If the chain fails, I will look for an indy to do a reasonable repair at the lowest price. I will not waste my time working with GM - that ship has sailed for this model year!

Good luck to you though - I admire your thinking!

Regards
Murray

packsfan430
06-27-13, 01:20 AM
What a great response....I appreciate the input. I guess one learns with age huh...kid straight out of college...I guess I should have thought about how if I could not afford a newer cadillac, why put myself at risk with getting an older used one? Either way, I did a full synthetic oil change on it today and it ran 110% more smooth than it has since I have owned it. I do not beat on this car whatsoever and I always accelerate with nothing more than 2k rpm because regardless of the chain issue, I had a cruising mentality the second I saw this car and did not intent on speeding around town in it. I now wonder how long these chains take to REALLY require service once they have been diagnosed. Would you or anyone else be able to answer that for me?

Oh and Laura from GM replied to me stating there is nothing they can do since there is "no known malfunction for this engine for my particular model vehicle." I have no idea why they keep reiterating this nonsense to me but oh well...that ship has indeed sailed.

Guy.Seminerio
06-27-13, 02:29 PM
Wow I guess the cadillac customer service folks here really are for show. Pure lip service so GM can show they're "responding" to owners on forums. Packs fan thanks for not keeping that under wraps, and instead exposing what she said, which we all know to be complete bs.

----------

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2008-2013-cadillac-cts-general-discussion/303361-dealership-tech-rant-maybe-i-just.html
If you have 5-10 minutes I recommend reading through this recent thread on the cts general discussion forum. Some chick runs into issues with the service at the dealer and the cadillac customer service gets slammed pretty hard in this thread. Very entertaining and interesting. I always give people the benefit of the doubt but with what she told you, that seals the deal. They're here for show.

EChas3
06-27-13, 09:09 PM
Yeah^^^ that. They used to just post platitudes once in a while, sometimes helping some, maybe.

They could really be an effective force if GM empowered them. Fat chance.

packsfan430
06-28-13, 01:52 AM
It's just such a crazy thought when you really sit back and look at the grand scheme of life on an economic level, in the most simple form possible, all life is...is those on top will build something for as cheap as possible, and sell it to you for as "reasonably" high as possible, and make sure they are liable for their goods and services for the smallest amount of time possible. Very sad reality where one day we will have to sit our kids down and tell them that no one, even at their age, can be trusted. Extreme? You bet. Realistic? You bet!! Thanks to everyone for chiming in. Our hard-earned dollars are easily swallowed...but our voices seldom heard!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App (http://www.autoguide.com/mobile)

1BadCadSTS
06-28-13, 10:01 AM
Yeah^^^ that. They used to just post platitudes once in a while, sometimes helping some, maybe.

They could really be an effective force if GM empowered them. Fat chance.

I'd love to know their stance on the early n* hg issue. Oh right there wasn't one.

Ask if there's no 3.6 issues why issues a recall on the later models timing chains and a tsb on the oil life reprogramming to attempt to push the issues out long enough that the car is out of warranty!?

Sister made the mistake of getting a 3.6 srx4. It drinks and I mean drinks oil. I argue with her constantly to check the damn thing but you know the princess type. She expects me to do it and when the motor blows for my parents to pay for it.

On a side note I too had an issue and spun my wheels for a month with "Cadillac customer service". At least you got a response. They volunteered to help I provided them all the info they said they would open a case and get back to me. Still waiting on that response after multiple pms and calling them out I said chalked them up to a complete joke. It's a great publicity stunt hey we even provide help on the forums! Wrong. They are basically a service writers secretary taking phone calls and doing anything they can to get you to go "back to the dealer" for nothing.

malatu
06-28-13, 10:16 AM
It's just such a crazy thought when you really sit back and look at the grand scheme of life on an economic level, in the most simple form possible, all life is...is those on top will build something for as cheap as possible, and sell it to you for as "reasonably" high as possible, and make sure they are liable for their goods and services for the smallest amount of time possible. Very sad reality where one day we will have to sit our kids down and tell them that no one, even at their age, can be trusted. Extreme? You bet. Realistic? You bet!! Thanks to everyone for chiming in. Our hard-earned dollars are easily swallowed...but our voices seldom heard!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App (http://www.autoguide.com/mobile)

In other words......
When confronted with the question, "Why?", more and more often I find myself able to respond with the following answer. "Ya know, I don't know the answer to that question, but I suspect money has something to do with it!"

Guy.Seminerio
06-28-13, 02:29 PM
They're always so quick to request that you pm or email them. Maybe if we go about these interactions openly on the threads that they start on, they won't have any choice but to actually be responsive.

1BadCadSTS
06-28-13, 07:08 PM
They're always so quick to request that you pm or email them. Maybe if we go about these interactions openly on the threads that they start on, they won't have any choice but to actually be responsive.

I think I just saw a pig fly and felt hell freeze over.

KRSTS
06-28-13, 07:26 PM
A pig will fly if you kick it hard enough and as for hell freezing over, the Eagles did that.:lol:

EChas3
06-28-13, 09:43 PM
Who's to say Hell isn't frozen and Heaven warm & cozy?

I saw a pig fly over Soldier Field in Chicago one Summer.

Granpappy said, "Ya pays your money and ya takes ya chances." Anyone think other economic systems lead to higher quality consumer products?

Guy.Seminerio
06-28-13, 10:42 PM
No I think Americans live with an economic system that is conducive to higher quality products. If we don't like one, we purchase from the competitor. People who provide goods and services have to compete for our business. The only time the consumer loses in this case is 1. If the consumer can't afford higher quality goods and or services. Like someone who has no choice but to shop for lesser quality clothing in a Macy's with lesser service vs someone who can afford the luxury of buying products and experiencing the service at say Brooks Brothers. Just an example. Even this example is flawed because the two aren't competitors. 2. If the consumer is loyal. For example, I, and I imagine many others on these forums for one reason or another refuse to own a car that's not a cadillac. It's as good as it gets from an American automaker, the cars have attractive designs, offer a lot of features, drive well, whatever the reason, we love Cadillacs. For many of us, cadilac's piss poor service isn't enough to drive us elsewhere. As a matter of fact, many of us root for cadillac and truly hope that cadillac changes its ways for their own good and because we have so much pride in the product itself. But if we were unbiased, it would be too easy for us to say alright, never again will I own a cadillac. And many are in that boat. And they don't have to get an other cadillac because a competitor is selling a similar product perhaps without the side order of absolutely garbage service. The point is we have the choice so our economic system leads to higher quality products. Look at how cadillac has changed over the past 15 years.

malatu
06-28-13, 10:54 PM
I suspect the customer service reps from Cadillac who visit this forum are actually from the marketing department. Trust me, it's no accident they are visiting and respond to posts. At the very least, their presence here is most likely is a result of someone in the marketing department coming up with the idea.

Marketing is all about manipulating the consumer's perception. And..... "A person's perception is their reality".

Guy.Seminerio
06-29-13, 03:48 AM
So freakin sad that the premier American luxury brand stoops so low. Please step up your game, cadillac. Cadillac, I love you but you embarrass me with your garbage service. Can you please do something about this? This is the state of mind of many, including myself. Is this enough motivation for you, cadillac??? I really hope so, for your own good, that is. And for the good of the cadillac loyalists that love you in spite of your crap service. Don't disappoint them.

----------

...Us.

DG2
06-29-13, 07:36 AM
Lotsa luck. Same as the Northstar head gasket issues, same as the oil leaks, same as the 3.6 oil consumption problems, same as the persnickety FWD suspension vibrations; and the list goes on and on - GM will placate and make mushy sounds but will do absolutely nothing......... That costs money and they won't give you the sweat off their butts.

We're in a DIY car in a DIY world. If you like the marque enough you'll suck up the price of ownership; otherwise you'll switch to Lexus or Hyundai. Yes, a Cadillac can be repaired or patched up - but never expect one to be anywhere close to trouble-free or long-term reliable.

"Cadillac" is no longer Cadillac - it's the exact same piece of throw away merchandise as a cell phone or laptop - the price is a bit higher.

Lets see. My 2005 Cadillac STS V8 now has 192,000 miles on it. New York City mile mind you. Never an issue with timing chain, never an issue with an oil leak and original transmission !!!

The car still looks brand new. Cars are machines and no matter what brand they can break. I beat the crap out of my STS and it is bulletproof !

1BadCadSTS
06-29-13, 08:44 AM
Lets see. My 2005 Cadillac STS V8 now has 192,000 miles on it. New York City mile mind you. Never an issue with timing chain, never an issue with an oil leak and original transmission !!!

The car still looks brand new. Cars are machines and no matter what brand they can break. I beat the crap out of my STS and it is bulletproof !

Cuz you have the n*. Issue applies to the 3.6s.

packsfan430
06-30-13, 02:38 AM
I cannot disagree with anything anyone has said here...whether the statement was pro or anti holding GM responsible for these issues. All I am saying is that tons of money is poured into marketing...and creating a diverse consumer group that ranges anywhere from entry level college grads all the way to senior citizens. They have made models that would be suitable for literally any and every age range. The thing that I think Cadillac, and pretty much every auto maker tries to work hard on, or so they state, is keeping such a customer base. They want to create these loyal followings. In my opinion, all cadillac needs to do is hop on these massive forums that have been created by the loyal cadillac lovers. I cannot hold a candle to most of you members because you have had multiple Cadillac vehicles and you have maintained these cars to the T and obviously have had the luxury of picking and choosing the vehicles you have wanted as time has progressed in your lives, just like stated above. However, if Cadillac just took the time to go through these forums and provide actual help to customers on say CadillacForums.com, can you imagine the reputation this company would have?? the word of mouth alone would spread like fire ants!! "Oh, they come and look over our forums and help us out every which way"...can you imagine the heads that would turn?? I think they tried that with the phony service reps they have here where they get your spirits WAY WAY up when they ask you to send them your name and VIN, but the crash that follows is way worse than when the problem was initially diagnosed for the consumer. Instead they would rather pour their money (technically OUR money) into new designs and pointless features. I have always believed that if as much money went into vehicle warranties and backup/recovery plans as it did in marketing, these cars would literally sell themselves because there is no more vulnerable feeling than one where your product is no longer covered by warranty, in this case a vehicle, and the potentially lethal "Check Engine" light comes on. That's how I feel at least. And any company that takes "great pride" in meeting the needs and demands of their consumers and their loyal followers who overlooks something as simple as time and money invested in looking over, and tending to the needs of hundreds of thousands of loyal fans that create a forum online to discuss their passion for these cars and help each other out with their problems is simply in it for absolute money and could care less if one of their cars explode on the road...so long as it is out of warranty.

DG2
06-30-13, 08:07 AM
Packsfan. What your looking for Cadillac to do is being done. They monitor the forums and do listen. The new GM is making changes to designs and design flaws at a lighting pace ( ie new Mailbu ). The touchy feel stuff your looking for will never come directly from the company. That's what the dealers are for. You sound like a young kid so as your success grows and you start buying some new Cadillacs from your local dealer you will see how nicly your treated. Best in the biz ! :)

Guy.Seminerio
06-30-13, 02:09 PM
It's on a dealer by dealer basis. There are so many stories of people with new Cadillacs with catastrophic failures and dealers being outright unwilling to help. They try to investigate how it could possibly be the customer's fault. Shouldn't matter whether its new or not. The service department shouldn't be checking the vin to see if I'm the first owner of my car so they can determine how crappy of a job they're going to do and how crappy they're going to treat me. DG2, you've been lucky enough to have an excellent service dept at your dealer. This is far from prevalent among cadillac dealerships. If they're really monitoring forums why have they denied the existence of a timing chain issue?? Which contradicts their own extended warranty on the timing chain for the two year period. :hmm: Good that they're monitoring for future improvements but you can't just leave your current customers in the dirt. This is how you lose future customers. Do you think packs fan is going to speak highly to prospective cadillac owners about dealership service experience?? If I were him I'd take every opportunity to s**t on them I could. Best in the biz? That's a reach. Again I'm truly happy you have a good dealer by you. When I move back to ny hopefully my local dealer won't be as crappy as my current one here in NC. I seriously hope I end up in the same boat as you.

packsfan430
07-01-13, 12:14 AM
DG2 you are absolutely lucky! There are 2 cadillac dealers in Buffalo, NY where I'm from...one of them has the worst reviews possible for a dealer so I avoided that to begin with. The other one is a "premier" dealership and I took it over there...they treated me well and they were very nice. However, when they diagnosed the issue as a timing chain issue, the manager of the shop simply handed me the estimate and was looking at me waiting for me to say yes or no. I saw the $2500 estimate and I was like sir this is my first Cadillac...is there anything else at all that you guys could help me with? I am a student who also supports a family and I just graduated and my income spares no room for an extra night out of town let alone a $2500 repair. Sometimes dealerships are like "let me see what I can do" and talk to any upper level management and he did not even do that much. He simply said nope. And followed it up with a "sorry." The only thing they kept reiterating was that "there are no service records with us for its maintenance so we don't know what this car has been through and we are not aware of any timing chain issues that are common with these vehicles." Ofcourse I had seen this forum before I took it in to them and I was simply standing there watching him lie to me. It's not a very good experience at all. Guy.Seminero is absolutely on point when he states that they do not monitor anything and they deny existing, blatant flaws in their vehicles. It is not like I drove a rust-bucket into their shop and asked for assistance with fixing it up from scratch. My car is flawless aside from that issue inside and out...and they apparently did an entire overlook of the mechanics on the vehicle and they said that was the only issue. Also one last thing I noticed was that every car they take in comes out detailed and washed. They drove mine back out for me and there was so much dust that had accumulated on the vehicle's body due to wherever they had placed it for the few days they had it and overall I was heartbroken because I felt like my car was the only ugly duckling in the entire lot. That is in no way winning anyone over. You are right I am inexperienced and I am just a kid but even I know better. Anyways, I will try and find a local shop that will do it a little bit cheaper hopefully. They would be way more deserving of the money than that dealer I took it to. I appreciate all the feedback I got on this thread...you Caddy owners sure do look out for one another.

Guy.Seminerio
07-01-13, 12:43 AM
honestly packers fan, they have no obligation to "help you out" in any way. The only thing that gets me heated on what you said is something that is bigger than the dealer. it's GM. It's GM denying an issue with the engine. Now, although he is absolutely not obligated, there is a way he can "help you out." When my garbage dealer did a number of things that showed they have no standards whatsoever, I talked to the service manager, and in an attempt to keep me happy I guess(?) he helped me out. One of the issues I was having was my right side view mirror glass was wobbly at speed. Noticeable at 40+. Required a whole new mirror, plus obviously paint and installation. Price was supposed to be about $550. After I talked to him for a good 10 minutes, followed by a 15 minute drive in my car so I could show him the wobbly mirror, which his department "could not duplicate":thepan: We sat at his desk and he said $550 but let me try to put you in for "cadillac customer participation." Punched it in his computer. Result? I pay a $100 deductible for the mirror repair. Not sure the details on how this works, but it would appear something can be done. I told him that my previous car, a 2007 STS V8 had the same problem but on the left mirror (which is absolutely true.) I'm looking at my receipt right now and it shows N/C (no charge) and then there's a statement that says "customer pay deductible for line a" and across the page it shows $100. Next line, it says "Cadillac customer participation for repair." Maybe if you can provide documentation from these forums for example, proving that the problem is prevalent, and then ask him about customer participation, he might be able to help you out. Make sure you talk to the service manager. Maybe Chris from Rippy can provide more insight on how this works.

EChas3
07-02-13, 01:16 AM
Dear 'Blocks of Text',

Ever hear of a paragraph? I'm interested in your ideas but your lack of effort in presentation leaves me to simply respond as follows:

You have more control over your dealer service experience than the service writer; you're smarter. You may even have more control over that interaction than Cadillac. Have you never stroked a slimeball to get the the desired result?

Guy.Seminerio
07-02-13, 01:52 AM
Ah I wish I had another 500 words on this topic so I could post each one in a single paragraph. Sorry sometimes I post with the iPhone so it's a bit difficult to be organized.

packsfan430
07-02-13, 02:07 AM
Lol that statement was probably directed at me since I post everything in one chunk instead of spacing things out. As far as outwitting the dealer goes, I honestly have never experienced this kind of issue before. We have had cars in the family that were leased and issues like this never came up and even if they had the dealer would service them as part of the lease agreement. So when cornered by a few shop mechanics, I had no idea what to do. Would you guys recommend that I take it over there again and ask them for more help?

I want everyone to be sure that I am not expecting them to simply "pick up the tab." Of course I am well aware this is a used car. But to just throw the bill all on my shoulders is also a little unfair ONLY because this issue is so common. You know?