: Questions, New (to me) 90 Allanté

AllanteFarina
06-23-13, 10:41 PM
Just picked up a 90 model and it runs great. The only things that are irking me are in the driver's module. These are some of the messages displayed:

Change Oil (Oil was just changed)
Service Engine Soon
Traction Disabled
ABS Disabled

And the radio hums for awhile, then plays thru one speaker (passenger side.)

Also, I thought that for 1990 it was supposed to have the Bose sound system, but this one has the AC Delco "Symphony Surround" system. Does this mean the original was possibly replaced at one time?

Thank you in advance.

MoistCabbage
06-24-13, 03:59 AM
Change Oil (Oil was just changed)You need to reset the OLM manually.Do you have an owners manual?

Service Engine Soon
Traction Disabled
ABS DisabledYou need to pull your codes. Go to either the Eldorado/Seville, or FWD Deville/Fleetwood forum, and read the "sticky" thread on how to pull codes. List any codes you may have, AND THEIR DEFINITIONS, here (there's a link within the sticky to code definitions).

I'm not familiar with the Allante stereo systems.

BTW, :welcome:

Buster28
06-24-13, 05:16 PM
I am reasonably sure the sound system in your 90 is the same as my 91. Mine is Bose and is labeled Symphony on the faceplate as well. In this system each Bose speaker has a dedicated amplifier controlled by a "receiver'' located behind the glove box. The receiver is controlled by the buttons on the DIC over a data bus. Over the years the capacitors in the amplifiers have leaked causing the amplifiers to fail. In some instances the amplifiers can be brought back to life by replacing the capacitors.

Traction control can be turned Off by disconnecting the electrical wire that loops through the spare tire. Since the spare is not the correct size, traction control needed to be Off when in use and to remove the spare you needed to disconnect the wire.

ABS disabled indicates the Anti-Lock brake system is probably inoperative. This vehicle uses a Bosch III ABS system and on 90-92 the Traction Control and ABS are integrated. This system uses a very high pressure hydraulic system MAKE SURE you understand how it works before taking anything apart. Check this link for more info: www.allantesource.com/techtips.htm.

D Yaros
06-29-13, 12:48 PM
You need to invest in the Allante FSM. Try locating one on eBay.

AllanteFarina
07-06-13, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the replies fellas. I'm going to get to work on some of the things I've read here.

@D Yaros, I have a Service Manual for an '89 but it doesn't seem to address anything on my '90 model except for resetting the Oil Change light.

Also, I have a new problem. The back of the convertible top doesn't seem to want to meet the motorized latch. I know the latch moves up and down on its own but it no longer seems to work by pressing the rocker switch behind the drivers seat. There's about a one inch gap where the back of the convertible top should meet the latch.

OffThaHorseCEO
07-09-13, 01:31 PM
can you post pics of your convertible top issue?