: Requiring Your Input 20's or 22's

216caddypimp
02-10-05, 09:10 PM
Here's my car (1985 Fleetwood D'Elegance)

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/579199

Now I searched and researched this issue and would like imput from those who like the big rim look and have same car (if possible).
Last year I asked if 20's would fit on my ride and I was told yes it would. Well I talked to a few people and I'm kind of at odds, I was told by 3 people that 22's would fit nicely on my ride and I've heard that 20's would be better.
I ask, because I will be doing a bit of road tripping this summer (under a total of 700 miles). And I honestly want my car to stand out, but I'm just concerned of safety issues. I plan on getting 150 spinner spokes and I "heard" that spokes have a tendency to come right off while in movement, but I was told that if there are put on properly, that's not true. what is the truth?
Also I have a feeling 22's will fit, but will I have to have lifters put on and if I do get 22's will I have problems turning the wheel, excessive rubbing, etc. etc.?
Also how will I know/what will I need if I get either size? New springs, shocks, struts, or whatever it takes to keep it from falling apart? Thanks.

I know some are against bigger rims, but again for those that have my particular Caddy, what was done? Also is regular wheels or low-profiles better? Especially for road tripping. I only drive the Caddy about 4-5 months a year, so I'll be stylin' and profiling more than my car being my only source of transportation.

Thanks y'all for the help.

Adam
02-10-05, 10:14 PM
you can never go wrong with a set of 13s and a few pumps & batteries;). ok now on to the real issue. i have a friend who has 22s on his 84 Fleetwood and i do believe they fit without any problems but i aint 100% on that. i do know you an fit 22s on a 93-96 Fleetwood without any problems. you might rub a little bit on turns. my friend has before. i havent heard of wires coming off, think lowriders hopping three wheeling side to side (do you think they would fall off?). i have never heard of them falling off anyway. i have seen them break off the adapter though.

davesdeville
02-10-05, 10:29 PM
If you have to lift it for 20s, don't do it. Can't stand when people do that. This is a 78 Deville, same body style, on 22" spokes.

Adam
02-10-05, 10:37 PM
23 and up you have to lift. i dont think you do on 22s. yeah i cant stand that lifted look either. just looks retarded. do you figure thats why i lowride :hmm: ?

by he way, that is one nice looking Caddy. who ownes that?

cjarvis
02-10-05, 10:57 PM
Go with 20's otherwise you will rub on 22's and they'll look better and in my opinion rde better

Adam
02-10-05, 11:02 PM
good point, 20s would ride better. i dont know about looking better, 13s would look real nice on that thing though.

RiskIt
02-10-05, 11:59 PM
Does anyone know if 20's or maybe even 22's would fit on a 68Deville??
It's in the shop for final paint and I was wondering. I live up here in NH north of Boston and it's really odd to find anyone who knows about this stuff.
Thanks for any help.

O' mine is going to be a driver

216caddypimp
02-11-05, 07:57 AM
That Deville is bangin for sure. I know the 20's will ride better, but will it make a real difference? And will the rubbibg be that bad? What kind of problems can come from the rubbing? I ask because when reading posts, folks have side they rubbed until some plastic wore down and never had a rubbing issue, is that true?
Also will high-way travel affect the vehicle in anyway? That's my main concern, don't want to be stranded somewhere, cause I flossed to hard and didn't take anything else into consideration.
Again thanks for your input, I love low-riders as well, but I'm just not well educated on the culture and know-how to really represent. I'm just learning about audio, since I just re-done my entire system.

patgizz
02-11-05, 12:20 PM
local guy eh?

my only insight is, if you are gonna drop the cash, get good quality wheels. none of the $600 a set 20" spokes from china on ebay.

juiceE
02-11-05, 01:44 PM
and do not get cheap tires, ull end up gettin dents in ur rims, and wont ride well, with good tires, the ride quality should remain "cadillac"

Adam
02-11-05, 05:44 PM
Does anyone know if 20's or maybe even 22's would fit on a 68Deville??
It's in the shop for final paint and I was wondering. I live up here in NH north of Boston and it's really odd to find anyone who knows about this stuff.
Thanks for any help.

O' mine is going to be a driver

the only problem you might run into is the bolt pattern. some companies dont make wheels for pre 1970. the only company i could think of would be Dayton wire wheels or maybe Player wire wheels. if you dont plan on going with wires i dont know what company would make wheels for a pre'70 vehicle. Lexani might.

ocjmakaveli
02-11-05, 05:49 PM
and do not get cheap tires, ull end up gettin dents in ur rims, and wont ride well, with good tires, the ride quality should remain "cadillac"

I completely agree with this with rims it's subject to OPINION because I know PLENTY of people with cheap rims $500 for a set of 4 18" etc. and they ride them for YEARS without problems still using them today. Those rims are no name rims.

I myself wouldn't go this route but it's works for others so not a bad deal.

For tires the get the best you can afford the ride quality and safety is mostly affected by the tire.

I noticed on other cars low price tires make a lot of noise kind of like a buzzing sound which is annoying but my 265/35/22 pirellis are very quiet.

I don't think a 22 gives a harsher ride than a 20" wheel because the sidewall is a little bigger on 22" tires andn the difference in weight is only 5 lbs per wheel more.

If you want a smooth ride with big rims then REAR AIR SHOCKS ARE A MUST no exception otherwise you car will feel like a corvette going over bumps which for most isn't a big deal especially if you don't do city driving.

As long as you don't do any off-road driving there isn't a damage you can do to you car really.

You'll probably want to go to a wheel shop and test out different 22's with different offsets to see which one fits your car best because some offsets might rub in the rear while others won't.

keep your tires properly inflated to avoid dents on the rim most people don't know the proper air pressure needed for the smaller tires on a 20 or 22" rim usually its between 40 and 50 psi. Most shops will set them to 35 psi. and you will dent your rims when you go over a bump and your tire will wear out quickly too.

Just look on your tire it says the air pressure for your tire i'm adding this ebcause I have this problem FREQUENTLY with shops telling me my tires are overfilled with air and I NEED to show them to read on the tire the recommened air pressure which is 44psi on my set of 20s and 50 on my set of 22s. I think this is why many people get dented rims I've been lucky even jumped a curb once and didn't dent my rim :coolgleam

I will say one last thing though although 22's might be harder to get fitted in the car sometimes 22's definitely make a bigger impression on people.

I don't know why but wheels are very important.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/665000-665999/665178_4_full.jpg

Adam
02-11-05, 06:04 PM
do your wheels ever rub when turning? my friend has 20s on his and they rub like hell when he is turning. of course those are sharp turns and his also rub bad when he is pulling in and backing out (or vice versa) of a parking space.

216caddypimp
02-11-05, 09:18 PM
I completely agree with this with rims it's subject to OPINION because I know PLENTY of people with cheap rims $500 for a set of 4 18" etc. and they ride them for YEARS without problems still using them today. Those rims are no name rims.

I myself wouldn't go this route but it's works for others so not a bad deal.

For tires the get the best you can afford the ride quality and safety is mostly affected by the tire.

I noticed on other cars low price tires make a lot of noise kind of like a buzzing sound which is annoying but my 265/35/22 pirellis are very quiet.

I don't think a 22 gives a harsher ride than a 20" wheel because the sidewall is a little bigger on 22" tires andn the difference in weight is only 5 lbs per wheel more.

If you want a smooth ride with big rims then REAR AIR SHOCKS ARE A MUST no exception otherwise you car will feel like a corvette going over bumps which for most isn't a big deal especially if you don't do city driving.

As long as you don't do any off-road driving there isn't a damage you can do to you car really.

You'll probably want to go to a wheel shop and test out different 22's with different offsets to see which one fits your car best because some offsets might rub in the rear while others won't.

keep your tires properly inflated to avoid dents on the rim most people don't know the proper air pressure needed for the smaller tires on a 20 or 22" rim usually its between 40 and 50 psi. Most shops will set them to 35 psi. and you will dent your rims when you go over a bump and your tire will wear out quickly too.

Just look on your tire it says the air pressure for your tire i'm adding this ebcause I have this problem FREQUENTLY with shops telling me my tires are overfilled with air and I NEED to show them to read on the tire the recommened air pressure which is 44psi on my set of 20s and 50 on my set of 22s. I think this is why many people get dented rims I've been lucky even jumped a curb once and didn't dent my rim :coolgleam

I will say one last thing though although 22's might be harder to get fitted in the car sometimes 22's definitely make a bigger impression on people.

I don't know why but wheels are very important.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/665000-665999/665178_4_full.jpg

Yo OC, thanks alot for the advice as well everyone else. I'm gonna go with the 22's I'm thinking Player Wire Wheels, since they are in N.E. Ohio. Now is low-profile or regular tires better (especially for road trippin' or city driving)? And do they make white walls in that size? What tires do you recommend? I've been told Good Year is cool, but what brand will do the trick?

AGAIN THANKS FOR EDUCATIN' SOMEBODY. Y'ALL RESPONSES HAVE BEEN MORE THAN HELPFUL.

Adam
02-11-05, 09:26 PM
i dont beleive they make white walls for these. i have seen people take them to certain shops and they sand down the letters and all that and paint them white with special paint. but as far as factory i dont think so. (of course you could grab a set of 13s and buy some white walls :eyebrow: )

juiceE
02-15-05, 02:34 PM
i think they have 20" vogue's with the white wall now for cars, but i think vogues are getting too played out, and in my opinion, they only look good, not that great of a performer

i think u'll be better satisfied with a taller side wall, then with low pros, and it fills out the wheel well more, making it look less akward (on a FWB).
i dropped my height maybe 2" on 20"s and it never rubs

Adam
02-15-05, 05:28 PM
i dropped my height maybe 2" on 20"s and it never rubs

my friends does a little when turning on sharp turns. his aint lowered either, of course he is getting ready to.

Kev
02-15-05, 05:35 PM
you can never go wrong with a set of 13s and a few pumps & batteries;).
13" Cragars, 8" wide with 4 1/2" wide tires!
The Vato be stylin, Esse!

Kev

kmhebert
02-15-05, 05:54 PM
216caddypimp, that 85 looks great! I can't wait to see pictures of what it looks like on 22's. If you don't mind my asking, how much did the full package (rims/tires/labor/etc) cost?

ocjmakaveli
02-15-05, 11:52 PM
"Yo OC, thanks alot for the advice as well everyone else. I'm gonna go with the 22's I'm thinking Player Wire Wheels, since they are in N.E. Ohio. Now is low-profile or regular tires better (especially for road trippin' or city driving)? And do they make white walls in that size? What tires do you recommend? I've been told Good Year is cool, but what brand will do the trick?

AGAIN THANKS FOR EDUCATIN' SOMEBODY. Y'ALL RESPONSES HAVE BEEN MORE THAN HELPFUL."

Oops sorry I was gone for a while and couldn't reply sooner.

As for 22's low profile is the only tire you can fit on them really you can't put anything regular because anything that's not 35 series or 30 series will rub on the car unless you modify it or your car has really big wheel wells.

I haven't seen any whitewalls on big rims I think it wouldn't look very nice either. You might get that custom made but it won't look as nice as you might think....

I would always say go with pirelli's because they are SOO amazingly quiet and it's almost impossible to make them lose traction.

I can't seem to make my car slide in rainy weather anymore with the pirellis which is a good thing but sometimes I want to have some fun and can't because they just don't lose traction darn things :p

Goodyear is good too I have some 20's with goodyears and they are quiet and NEVER had a flat although using my current set for 60,000 miles I've never had any problems with them.

I've tried Kumho's ONCE and only ONCE but they are noisy and the traction is ok but pirellis are the best of the 2 I've only tried these 2 brands for 22's.

I'm actually thinking of selling my set of rims WITH Spinners my rim bolt pattern is 5X5 with 20MM Offset wheels/tires have about 5,000 miles on them.I paid $3600 total for them with spinners last summer.

I want to sell them for 2,500.

RiskIt
02-16-05, 03:17 AM
Can you post a picture or two??
I might be interested.

RiskIt
02-17-05, 10:19 AM
Does anyone have a 66-69 Deville and have big rim's on it already?? I was ready to buy a new set of Dub's but I'm not sure they will fit inside the rear fenderskerts. Can someone help me out, don't wanna make a 5-6g mistake.

ocjmakaveli
02-17-05, 01:06 PM
this is the car with the 22 rims on it http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/665000-665999/665178_4_full.jpgYou can see the spinners here http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=665178&cat=25&val=1

bluepig1947
07-25-06, 07:25 PM
i would go with 20s. with that way your tires will be taller and have a smother ride

Big_Blue
07-28-06, 09:06 PM
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/11/web/2111000-2111999/2111265_18_full.jpg

22's look great but tires arent common enough yet and paying 300 for a good tire isnt worth it yet.

20's are smoother and I can spend 180 for a P zero tire and know its gonna last.

Plus with 22's your gonna have to have a sort of mis match front & rear offsets. Whats good for the front isnt the best for the rear. It can be the same the 20's because thats the borderline between problems and constant repairs. I cant explain it to well but I have 22's from my friends Caprice and it was too close in the front and when I went to the local rim shop the offset that worked well in the front was to close in the rear to the inner body of the car. Plus you want a wider tire and not just a taller tire

RedGalant2k1
07-28-06, 09:13 PM
the only problem you might run into is the bolt pattern. some companies dont make wheels for pre 1970. the only company i could think of would be Dayton wire wheels or maybe Player wire wheels. if you dont plan on going with wires i dont know what company would make wheels for a pre'70 vehicle. Lexani might.

There are plenty of companies that make wheels in a low offset 5x5 for the large pre-1970 GMs.

You might want to utilize Andy from SuperbuyTires who is a supporting vendor on this forum and no doubt has plenty of experience with these types of cars.

Btw, if you really want to know you can fit 22s no rubbing, but you'll be running a rather skinny tire.

RedGalant2k1
07-28-06, 09:22 PM

Its all about the care and maintenence the owner gives to their wheels.

Depends on the wheel. Some 20s will weigh more than some 22s.

Goodluck finding a shop willing to do that without any cost investment.

NEVER run tires to their maximum inflation pressures. You really don't even need to run that much more pressure when using 20" or 22" wheels.

You don't want to go by the tire for your inflation pressures. Keep them to the vehicle door placard, or at most when using custom 20-22" wheels maybe, just maybe 4-5psi over the vehicle manufacturer's recommendations.