: Need Advice re: Recaros

Jdani
06-23-13, 09:45 PM
I know this is an old topic but im looking for new advice before i sell car or change seats. I have 2012 cts v sedan auto. i had the car a year and a half i have 18000 miles. Ive been getting back pain in this car since the beginning. I tried every possible setting so now i have to either try stock seats or trade car in because im not enjoying this car because of this problem. I have a few other cars and do the same ride everyday but dont get any pain. Im 45 yrs old 6.1 195 lbs in good shape. I am slightly larger fram because id do work out a lot, I am not overweight though. So My question is what can i do. Im thinking to try one stock seat for now just to see how that works, id get this used of course. Also im actually thinking of trading the car in but its a shame because i never really got to enjoy it because of this pain. Any input would be greatly appreciated. oh the back pain is lower back and sometimes shoots down right leg. This doesnt happen everyday but on most. My ride is half hour each way to work. about 25 miles mostly highway

Trapspeed
06-23-13, 09:51 PM
Sorry to hear of this dilemma. Lower back pain and leg stuff sucks....I know. As for the seats, sadly IMO I feel this is a seating position thing that will not change due to the seat type. I think it's a dynamic of the car's dimensions more than anything. Truthfully, you'd have no problem at all selling your Recaros but whether it's worth it or not is up to you. Keep us posted. Best of luck.

spearfish25
06-23-13, 10:46 PM
As a physician, I have a hard time seeing how the Recaros are the cause of your back pain if your drives are so short. My view of your problem is that the Recaros are UMMASKING an underlying problem that will likely rear its head at some other point in your life if you don't address it rather than the Recaros CAUSING the problem. Instead of dumping the car, give a bit of self-directed physical therapy a try first. Google a stretching regimen to help loosen your lower back and hamstrings. Doing this twice a day can work wonders for these types of lower back issues. Your pain sounds sciatic in nature, and the stretching should help. Also be sure to remove objects from your back pants pockets like thick wallets before you get in the car. If the pain persists, go get it worked up by an orthopod.

06-24-13, 07:54 AM
try a few different lumbar support pillows to see if that helps? leg numbness is usually indicative of something (bulging or herniated disc) impinging on your sciatic nerve (well, for me, anyway). I am not a doctor, but the post from the doctor seems right on....(btw please tell me what kind of excerises you can do to give you a larger frame.....:-) Anyway....sorry to hear about your pain but it does sound like this will be hit or miss with any seat or seating position.

neuronbob
06-24-13, 08:47 AM
As a physician, I have a hard time seeing how the Recaros are the cause of your back pain if your drives are so short. My view of your problem is that the Recaros are UMMASKING an underlying problem that will likely rear its head at some other point in your life if you don't address it rather than the Recaros CAUSING the problem. Instead of dumping the car, give a bit of self-directed physical therapy a try first. Google a stretching regimen to help loosen your lower back and hamstrings. Doing this twice a day can work wonders for these types of lower back issues. Your pain sounds sciatic in nature, and the stretching should help. Also be sure to remove objects from your back pants pockets like thick wallets before you get in the car. If the pain persists, go get it worked up by an orthopod.

Or a neurologist. :) Agree with above. If you have not had back issues previously, definitely see a physician.

RaVeNous
06-24-13, 09:00 AM
What you're describing as others have said, sounds related to disc issues. As the doctor pointed out, the seats are moe likely causing an issue to show, not actually causing the issue.

People have jested about the recaro seats being terrible for people with weak abs. There is some truth within that jib. The point being, bad posture, and or sitting slouched creates a lot of problems when you get older....I should know because I have issues. I now stand at work about half the time. I set my Recaro seats to force me to sit up straight and tall. I haven't had any issues on long drives 3-5 hours. Sorry you still are. See a doctor of physical therapy. You may be a few exercises away from less back pain.

tinman
06-24-13, 09:04 AM
I believe you may need new tracks along with your seats.

I might be willing to swap with you. Obviously colors have to be right. PM sent.

Jinx
06-24-13, 12:13 PM
http://www.ergonomicssimplified.com/tips/driving

It seems to me the seat and controls of the CTS invite a terrible driving position, particularly the incline of the seat base. It may be that you're too tall for the car, especially with a sunroof, because to get a back-friendly thigh position you'll need to lift the back of the seat base quite a bit relative to the front.

You ought to be able to test-sit a base seat in a regular CTS at a Cadillac dealer. Obviously you can't simulate your daily commute, but you can tell whether or not you can get a significantly different seating position.

Do you at least find the Recaros comfortable to sit in?

.Jinx

spearfish25
06-24-13, 12:53 PM
Or a neurologist. :) Agree with above. If you have not had back issues previously, definitely see a physician.

LOL. Sorry about that Bob.

Big Jay
06-24-13, 06:35 PM
I hate the Recaros in my wifes V. Most uncomfortable seats I have ever sat in. Don't even talk about getting in and out with that wing part you have to climb over. I want to find a regular CTS and ask the owner if I can sit in it to see how it feels.

I have two vettes, C5 and C6. Both are way more comfortable than the V

shchow
06-24-13, 08:04 PM
As a urologist, I believe the problem lies in your prostate.
Have you had yours checked yet?
:)

JFJr
06-24-13, 10:11 PM

Also, you may need to ride the golden rod if it has been more than 5 years.

Jud

spearfish25
06-24-13, 10:31 PM
I hate the Recaros in my wifes V. Most uncomfortable seats I have ever sat in. Don't even talk about getting in and out with that wing part you have to climb over. I want to find a regular CTS and ask the owner if I can sit in it to see how it feels.

Sorry but this made me laugh. We're complaining about seat bolstering being annoying in a performance model car? And then you compare it to the lack of bolstering in the Corvette seat which has been one of the Vette's achilles heals for years? Too funny.

I'm a urologist. It's not his prostate.

thebigjimsho
06-24-13, 11:34 PM
I badly pulled a muscle in my lower back. When every seat I got into made it worse, the Recaros made it better...

musclecar6
06-25-13, 10:18 AM
For me, the recaros are very uncomfortable & I couldn't sit in those seats for more than 5 minutes & tried all the different positions. The base seats, while not perfect for me, are a thousand times more comfortable ( I have lower back fisette joint issues from being a long time jogger, so everyone has to figure out what works best for them, regarding seat comfort).

tinman
06-25-13, 10:21 AM
I have regular seats in my 2010 wagon, Light Titanium. Well cared for leather and I have always used a cover on them while daily driving. If anyone with Recaros wants to swap please let me know. I can do the work here at my shop, too, as we are a custom metal fabrication shop (and gearheads).

stl_ls1gto
06-25-13, 10:28 AM
I have regular seats in my 2010 wagon, Light Titanium. Well cared for leather and I have always used a cover on them while daily driving. If anyone with Recaros wants to swap please let me know. I can do the work here at my shop, too, as we are a custom metal fabrication shop (and gearheads).

are you going to throw in a tow hook?

tinman
06-25-13, 10:30 AM
Everything is negotiable! :bouncy:

thebigjimsho
06-25-13, 12:26 PM
That's why swimming is better than jogging.

shchow
06-25-13, 12:26 PM

It was an attempt at humor which seemed to have escaped you.

Nice to know there's another urologist on here :)

spearfish25
06-25-13, 12:35 PM
It was an attempt at humor which seemed to have escaped you.

Nice to know there's another urologist on here :)

It's funny knowing you're a urologist now! I thought you were just mocking me for saying I was a physician.

GM-4-LIFE
06-25-13, 06:11 PM
I know this is an old topic but im looking for new advice before i sell car or change seats. I have 2012 cts v sedan auto. i had the car a year and a half i have 18000 miles. Ive been getting back pain in this car since the beginning. I tried every possible setting so now i have to either try stock seats or trade car in because im not enjoying this car because of this problem. I have a few other cars and do the same ride everyday but dont get any pain. Im 45 yrs old 6.1 195 lbs in good shape. I am slightly larger fram because id do work out a lot, I am not overweight though. So My question is what can i do. Im thinking to try one stock seat for now just to see how that works, id get this used of course. Also im actually thinking of trading the car in but its a shame because i never really got to enjoy it because of this pain. Any input would be greatly appreciated. oh the back pain is lower back and sometimes shoots down right leg. This doesnt happen everyday but on most. My ride is half hour each way to work. about 25 miles mostly highway

The same thing happened to me on long drives in my 2011 V Coupe with Recaros, but it would be a good hour plus before I started feeling an uncomfortable feeling in the center of my back. I never had this issue with the stock seats in my 09 V Sedan. I am in the process of looking for a new V Coupe and I am looking for one without Recaros. They are so damn uncomfortable. I am 6'1" and I am down to 188 lbs. now with an athletic build. I was up to 212, but lost a good amount of weight. The standard seats are way better. I don't know if you can swap the seats without any issues, but I think the Recaros are not padded enough for long drives.

Random84
06-25-13, 08:33 PM

I'm an @sshole. I think his problem is... well, nevermind - I'm just being an @sshole!

(That's a JOKE, Spearfish) :D

JFJr
06-25-13, 09:54 PM
I have osteoarthritis in my lower back. We all get it at some point. The Recaro's help with that. My only concern is that it will interfere with my upland bird hunting. As long as I can get adjustable and supportive seats in my super sedan, I have many years left with super cars.

Jud

jd mack
06-26-13, 12:00 AM
Funny,I had an '09 CTS with stock seats that were never comfortable and offered almost no thigh support.I now have a '13 V sedan with Recaros and am delighted at the difference in support and comfort.Since everyone else with an opinion seemed to have a medical degree,I must disclose that I am a newly retired orthopaedic spine surgeon........Seats that are poorly designed don't give a damn who you are!!

Trapspeed
06-26-13, 08:57 AM
Funny,I had an '09 CTS with stock seats that were never comfortable and offered almost no thigh support.I now have a '13 V sedan with Recaros and am delighted at the difference in support and comfort.Since everyone else with an opinion seemed to have a medical degree,I must disclose that I am a newly retired orthopaedic spine surgeon........Seats that are poorly designed don't give a damn who you are!!

Happy retirement, doc!

KP-V
06-26-13, 09:26 AM
I just did a 2200 mile road trip in my V sedan with Recaros. Best support and comfort of any vehicle I've owned in my 66 years.

Mr V
06-26-13, 09:35 AM
If anyone in the Chicagoland area wants to trade i have the non recaros in my 2009 i just got, and would LOVEEEEE to have the recaros, feel free to pm me if interested

Chrispy
06-26-13, 11:02 AM

Where are you located and what color? If they are ebony I'll give you a thousand bucks and my stock ebony seats with 8K miles on them. I'll even drive to meet you if you're within 8 hours :)

Jdani
06-26-13, 03:19 PM
Where are you located and what color? If they are ebony I'll give you a thousand bucks and my stock ebony seats with 8K miles on them. I'll even drive to meet you if you're within 8 hours :)

NJ, Monmouth county

----------

Thanks everyone for all the replies after reading them all I really believe that this is just a matter of opinion. Whether or not I have a back problem as some if you have suggested why should i torture myself when I don't have this problem In any of my other cars... I do have another question if I do want to make the change to stock seats do they come with the clothe in the middle like the recaros and also how will they match with these door panels or are the door panels the same

tinman
06-26-13, 04:00 PM
Make sure (if you swap out with someone) that they have full leather. Some cars have alcantara patches in the seat area. Mine, for example, are full leather from the factory.

Chrispy
06-26-13, 04:44 PM
Mine are 2012 base seats that came in my V Wagon.

tinman
06-26-13, 04:53 PM
Base CTS (non-V) seats you don't want.

Jdani
06-26-13, 05:53 PM
Base CTS (non-V) seats you don't want.

Got it...that's what I was wondering I though reg cts seats would be fine. I think these will be hard to find used

jzchen
06-26-13, 06:56 PM
You can try car-part.com. Retrofitting to Recaros might be a problem, as it's been discussed before that they are heated AND cooled. I don't know about the newer standard seats, but before they were not cooled as I know.

PNBLWZD
06-26-13, 07:32 PM
Regular CTS seats are all leather, no suede.

I find it interesting that the seats in these cars is the most polarizing part of the vehicle, people either love 'em or hate 'em. Personally I think the stock ones are kinda too flat and the Recaros are too racey for everyday use. I've only had "Ass time" in each from shopping around for a V though, I don't have any long road trip time in either other than a loaner regular CTS for a few days. To be honest though, the best combination of both seats were the ones that my STS-V had. Enough support and adjustment with suede inserts, not too hard, not too flat. I wonder what they will offer for seating in the V3.

spearfish25
06-26-13, 10:42 PM
I find the Recaros to be very comfortable. The kind of comfort like laying down on a firm mattress after a long work day.

shockwaveMGH
06-27-13, 10:05 AM

I have a 2000 C5, a 2007 C6 Z06 as well as a 2012 CTS-V with the Recaro seats. I couldn't disagree more ..... Perhaps you need to work on adjusting your support ..

tinman
06-27-13, 10:15 AM
Got it...that's what I was wondering I though reg cts seats would be fine. I think these will be hard to find used

Just so I am clear, I mean a base model CTS vs. a Performance or Premium model CTS. These are NON-V model CTS's.

FinestKind-CTS-V
06-27-13, 12:24 PM
I have a 2000 C5, a 2007 C6 Z06 as well as a 2012 CTS-V with the Recaro seats. I couldn't disagree more ..... Perhaps you need to work on adjusting your support ..

Second that!
I find my Recaros to be VERY comfortable now that ( thanks to this forum) I finally discovered after one year of ownership that there is an extension you can open up to lengthen the seat and gain more support under your thighs..... :)

tinman
06-27-13, 12:27 PM
Second that!
I find my Recaros to be VERY comfortable now that ( thanks to this forum) I finally discovered after one year of ownership that there is an extension you can open up to lengthen the seat and gain more support under your thighs..... :)

That extension can make quite a difference. My first Explorer had that on its seats and I loved it. The next one I bought did not have that feature and it was the most missed feature on that disappointing vehicle. I'm still chuckling that it took you a year to find it!

thebigjimsho
06-27-13, 11:38 PM
The same thing happened to me on long drives in my 2011 V Coupe with Recaros, but it would be a good hour plus before I started feeling an uncomfortable feeling in the center of my back. I never had this issue with the stock seats in my 09 V Sedan. I am in the process of looking for a new V Coupe and I am looking for one without Recaros. They are so damn uncomfortable. I am 6'1" and I am down to 188 lbs. now with an athletic build. I was up to 212, but lost a good amount of weight. The standard seats are way better. I don't know if you can swap the seats without any issues, but I think the Recaros are not padded enough for long drives.

Wrong. As someone who has done 27, 22 and 31 hour stints straight in my V with Recaros, it's just you. Recaros are supremely comfortable for long distance drives...

neuronbob
06-28-13, 12:13 AM
I did a 4000 mile cross-country round trip in my V wagon with Recaros three weeks ago and I had no issues whether I was in the seat for 15 hours or 3 hours.

Jdani, base V seats are plentiful on eBay. Recaros are not and someone will give you top dollar for yours. I know this because I owned an 09 V with base seats. I tried for three years to find Recaros with limits success, and mostly found base seats.

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-02-13, 09:20 AM
Hi All,

Glad to hear you are all loving your Recaro seats. They are a very comfortable seat for long distances and I hope you are all enjoying their comfort and your Cadillac V's :)

Regards,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

RaVeNous
07-02-13, 10:11 AM
OP - I still think you need to play with the seats a bit longer. There is no question the Recaro are a firm, hugging seat, but there are many ways to either "sink" yourself deeper into the seat, or tone down the security of the bolsters.

I spent a week with premium non-recaro seats, and they were comfortable too. It was in a sedan, and the combination was easier to get in and out of the car compared to my coupe with recs. They definately are softer on your butt, but they just feel like any old seat in a luxery car. Nothing special, and nothing that screams racing, and can actually enhance that experience like the Recaro. But then again, even if the seats sucked id keep them because they look so hot!

Maybe you just need to get a memory foam seat pad for your butt, and work on your abs :P

Lenvo65
07-03-13, 10:24 AM
NJ, Monmouth county

----------

Thanks everyone for all the replies after reading them all I really believe that this is just a matter of opinion. Whether or not I have a back problem as some if you have suggested why should i torture myself when I don't have this problem In any of my other cars... I do have another question if I do want to make the change to stock seats do they come with the clothe in the middle like the recaros and also how will they match with these door panels or are the door panels the same

Hi - I am in Bergen County NJ and have a 2012 Sedan CTS_V with Ebony stock seats. The seats do have the suede like cloth material in the middle. I may be interested in the Recaros and a swap, but would want to work out whether they are plug and play as long as I get (from you or otherwise) the switch for the cooling function of the seats.

tinman
07-03-13, 10:58 AM
I am under the belief they have different tracks.

spearfish25
07-03-13, 08:18 PM
I just drove 1800mi and I am in love with the Recaros. Most comfortable long distance drive I've ever done. I enjoyed the whole darn thing.

Arca500
07-04-13, 01:25 AM
I'm 6'2 and weigh in at 255lbs. I have a large frame and work out a lot too. My guess is its not the seat as much as it is your lower back. Go get adjusted and stretch out as much as possible. I get lower back pain as well but, I've been lucky enough not to feel uncomfortable in my Recaro seat. Of course every body is different. Also, I'd go to Dicks sporting goods and get a real Phiten Racing necklace. I know it sounds crazy but, I got one two years ago and it's been a game changer for me. Placebo effect or not, it works. And finally, since you might have sciatic nerve issues (pain shooting down your leg) you need a light anti inflammatory. Go to Costco and buy a bottle of Naproxen. Take 3 in the am and repeat at night for 1 week and it should help you out a ton. It did for me.

Bostonoutlaw
07-10-13, 01:10 PM
I use a small towel rolled up and put it between the seat and my lower back....it helps. I have 3 bad discs and have a hard time in all my vehicles

warmwater
07-16-13, 01:28 PM
I think I might be having the same issue with the Recaro seats, I have some disc issues & sciatica. I am not sure if all the driving I did last week aggravated my back or not.

I did find a video on the 8 steps to correct sitting position from Recaro, I need to watch and make adjustments and will post if that helped me.

http://www.recaro-automotive.com/us/product-areas/aftermarket-seats/company/expertise/ergonomic-comfort.html

http://www.recaro-automotive.com/fileadmin/CONTENT_NEW_WEBSITE/animationen/technik_allgemein/sitzschule_100630_en.swf

Oh and Time to work on my Ab's too. The person who posted that could be on to something per this blog post http://experiencelife.com/article/loosening-tight-strings/

Bridgette2013
07-16-13, 08:37 PM
Work the abs everyday. Pelvic tilts, 50 per day. Along with regular floor crunches. I work with patients all day long who experience back pain. The major cause being the TVA or transverse abdominis isn't strong enough to rove compressive forces off the lower back. So muscles in your back eventually become overused, creating I inhibiting of the others muscles around that area. Just have an open mind, use google for reference and try it.

I doubt it's the seats as the main factor. And it couldn't hurt to be stronger.

Hope this Helps.

warmwater
07-17-13, 06:53 PM
Bridgette2013 Great advice thank you for sharing and the Tips.

OK back to the Crunches

the blur
07-23-13, 01:57 AM
I'll swap seats, and I was a certified GM mechanic.