: Battery drain

John Young
06-23-13, 12:47 PM
I have a 2009 CTS that has had an ongoing battery drain. The dealer could not
locate. Battery was dead this morning and noticed a faint clicking noise on both the driver and passenger doors. Sounded almost like a fan clicking. Pulled the door
lock fuse and the sound on the drivers door ceased. Pulled the passenger door
module fuse and the sound on the passenger door ceased. Thought it might be the door lock relay sticking but could not locate relay block in trunk.
On a side note, my wife
told me she reset the seat position and pressed the memory button. The chime
sounded but the new position was not retained. She also said that when
approaching the car yesterday after shopping, the car was running and the doors unlocked. She does have a habit of carrying multiple key fobs and leaving one in the car which results in the 3 horn beeps after exiting. Not sure if that could be causing the problems. We just had the car in the shop last week. Everything has been
working well until this morning. PS - she did leave the key fob in the car yesterday but the car started fine afterwards.

Tbbt
06-23-13, 02:05 PM
John,

Welcome! There have been instances of this problem, caused by the seat module. Do a search for more information, I don't remember the details, but it's happened before.

I just found this info,

"Here is a TSB for a similar problem on '08s and '09s.

TECHNICAL

Bulletin No.: 09-08-50-002A

Date: September 09, 2009

Subject: Vehicle Will Not Crank/Start, Battery Goes Dead, Four Amp Draw From Memory Seat Module (MSM) (Reprogram MSM)

Models:
2008-2009 Cadillac CTS, CTS-V
Built Prior to VIN Breakpoint 90160070
Equipped With EZ-Key RPO UHA, UHF

Supercede:
This bulletin is being revised to provide a VIN breakpoint. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 09-08-50-002 (Section 08 - Body and Accessories).

Condition

Some customers may comment that the vehicle will not crank or start and the battery goes dead.

If battery electrical drain/parasitic load testing is performed while the condition is present, a four amp draw can be traced to the memory seat module (MSM). The draw will be present until the battery goes dead, the MSM power is disconnected, or the 1 or 2 memory switch on the driver door is pressed.

Cause

This condition may be caused by a software conflict within the MSM that causes the low speed GMLAN bus to stay awake if the vehicle detects keyless transmitter number 3 or number 4 and the memory seat recall/easy exit recall is set to ON in the driver information center (DIC).

Note
This condition will only happen if all three of the conditions listed below are true.

- The vehicle has the EZ-key option (RPO UHA, UHF).
- The memory seat/easy exit recall is set to "On" or "Automatic On".
- A fob driver ID of greater than number 2 is used.

Correction

- A revised calibration has been developed to address this condition.
- Reprogram the MSM using the Service Programming System (SPS) with the latest calibration available on TIS2WEB. Refer to the SPS procedures in SI.
- During programming, the battery voltage must be maintained within the proper range of 12-15 volts. Only use the approved Midtronics(R) PSC550 Battery Maintainer (SPS Programming Support Tool EL-49642) or equivalent during programming.
- When using a Tech 2(R) for reprogramming, ensure that it is updated with the latest software version.
- When using a multiple diagnostic interface (MDI) for reprogramming, ensure that it is updated with the latest software version."

Good Luck, Marv

John Young
06-23-13, 02:14 PM
Thanks Marv,

This may be the problem. I will contact the dealership with the information.

hauler
06-23-13, 02:53 PM
I would like to meet the genius who was able to figure out that the conditions named in the service bulletin would cause a dead battery. Diagnosing electrical bugs in cars is getting waaay complicated.

John Young
06-23-13, 05:28 PM
New development. Just jumped battery and started car. Odometer reads 999,999. Any suggestions?

----------

I tried to reprogram my key fobs to no avail. The car thinks all of my fobs(I have 3), are #4.

Tbbt
06-23-13, 05:32 PM
Wow! Bizarre. Please let us know what the dealer figures out here! Ugh!!!!!!!!!!

snafu
06-23-13, 08:29 PM
[QUOTE=John Young;3584202]New development. Just jumped battery and started car. Odometer reads 999,999. Any suggestions?[COLOR="Silver"]

You might be spending tooooo much time in your car...:D
Did it spark when you hooked up cables?

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-23-13, 08:42 PM
Hello John,

I am sorry to hear about this frustration you are experiencing with your vehicle! You mentioned that the dealer could not locate what was causing the battery to drain. Was this a recent trip to the dealership? If you could provide more information through a private message, we would be happy to assist further in a resolution for you. Please provide your phone number, VIN, vehicle mileage, and name of involved dealer and we can look into this further for you. Thank you!

Jessica
Cadillac Customer Care

I have a 2009 CTS that has had an ongoing battery drain. The dealer could not
locate. Battery was dead this morning and noticed a faint clicking noise on both the driver and passenger doors. Sounded almost like a fan clicking. Pulled the door
lock fuse and the sound on the drivers door ceased. Pulled the passenger door
module fuse and the sound on the passenger door ceased. Thought it might be the door lock relay sticking but could not locate relay block in trunk.
On a side note, my wife
told me she reset the seat position and pressed the memory button. The chime
sounded but the new position was not retained. She also said that when
approaching the car yesterday after shopping, the car was running and the doors unlocked. She does have a habit of carrying multiple key fobs and leaving one in the car which results in the 3 horn beeps after exiting. Not sure if that could be causing the problems. We just had the car in the shop last week. Everything has been
working well until this morning. PS - she did leave the key fob in the car yesterday but the car started fine afterwards.

hauler
06-23-13, 08:58 PM
New development. Just jumped battery and started car. Odometer reads 999,999. Any suggestions?

Drive one mile and restart your warranty from zero..... A poor attempt at humor from a guy who hopes it never happens to his car.

jeffc83
06-26-13, 08:11 AM
I would like to meet the genius who was able to figure out that the conditions named in the service bulletin would cause a dead battery. Diagnosing electrical bugs in cars is getting waaay complicated.

That's absolutely correct...it took my dealership days to figure out the CEL was being triggered by a short in the wiring from/to the ECM. They did a great job but they did say that I wouldn't want to see that bill let alone pay for it!

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-26-13, 11:23 AM
That's absolutely correct...it took my dealership days to figure out the CEL was being triggered by a short in the wiring from/to the ECM. They did a great job but they did say that I wouldn't want to see that bill let alone pay for it!

Hello jeffc83,

I am glad the dealer was able to figure out your vehicle issue. Happy to hear about a satisfying trip to the dealership. Don't hesitate to contact us in the near future with any other concerns or questions.

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

ultimate_ed
10-28-13, 01:26 PM
I have begun having this same issue with my battery getting drained. I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow to see if they can figure it out. I'm bringing the text of the TSB as well. I've been searching the forum for battery issues to see if I can find a clue for what they should look for.

One thing that jumps out at me is the using a key fob greater than #2. This summer, my number 1 fob broke and I bought a replacement. However, the car would only let me program it as FOB 3 and that is what I use now. I suspect I starting having my battery drain issues after programming and using that new FOB.

The first couple of times I found my battery drained, there was a clicking noise coming from the passenger seat. After the second time, I just unplugged the wiring harness to the passenger seat. But a week later, I had my battery drained again.

I'll report back and let you know if this TSB fixes my issue.

agreif
07-14-14, 11:31 AM
able to resolve this one?