: Suspension Work

igotaseed
06-23-13, 10:38 AM
I think I need to get a lot of stuff replaced. I know my suspension...shocks or struts, Im not sure need to be done and I feel as though my ride isnt stable. When I turn corners it feels like a roller coaster ride! What do I need to do to restore my 96 Fleetwood to its proper ride? What will it cost in parts in labor?

csbuckn
06-23-13, 11:10 AM
Center link, tie rods and idler arm are the more common things. Find an alignment shop, they are usually the cheapest. Not just a place that does alignments but a place that does only alignments and suspension work.

Cadillacboy
06-23-13, 02:29 PM
We had to replace bushings, tie rods , rear struts , S rod or something like this . I don't remember total cost but rear shocks were $200 as set .csbuckn is dead on

igotaseed
06-26-13, 06:59 AM
Thanks guys. I found a place that does a free suspension and alignment check. I'll have them write me a quote. Then I'll take it to another shop that says they will beat any written quote.

cadillac_al
06-26-13, 02:44 PM
If the parts aren't really worn out it is probably the shocks.

Rick James
06-27-13, 07:55 AM
Thanks guys. I found a place that does a free suspension and alignment check. I'll have them write me a quote. Then I'll take it to another shop that says they will beat any written quote.

This is just an opinion so take it for what it's worth. If you are not doing your own work, your car will see quite a bit of shop time and you may want to build a relationship with a shop you trust.

drmenard
06-29-13, 01:11 PM
If you are feeling it most when you go around a corner , the first thing I would check is the sway bar links. They break all the time and let the front end sway and lift up when going around a corner.. they cost about $10 and are very easy to put in. If you look at it and its gone that's your problem. most of the time fall off after they break.

brougham
07-01-13, 03:01 PM
I wouldn't trust a place that advertises they do free checks. Get a second opinion from a normal garage. Having someone look at it is the only way you're going to find out what's wrong.

turbojimmy
07-01-13, 04:05 PM
The center link and idler arm were bad on both of my Fleetwoods. They are the biggest contributors to sloppy steering and wandering on the highway and are very common wear items on these cars. Not too hard to replace and make a huge difference once you get new ones.