: Unusual suspension feel????

USAFRET
06-23-13, 09:03 AM
Since I bought my 2011 A6 V coupe in March I've noticed and have tried to figure out what my V is doing and how to fix it. I'm stumped. Here's the deal. First some details on the car.

It's a 2011 A6 V coupe that had 4206 miles on it when I bought it in March. The selling dealer claimed two tires were damaged during transport and bought and installed new Hankook V12 tires filled with nitrogen to factory specs. The car is flawless except for this anomaly.

When speeds exceed about 45 MPH all the way to (let's just say above posted limits) the vehicle keeps wandering back and forth. It's worse than any Corvette I have ever owned and Vette's are knowing for "traming I believe is the term" as a by product of suspension alignment and big wide tires. But my V is so bad it has made my wife feel ill. I've played with tire pressures and nothing I can do corrects or reduces the affect.

The car feels like it's riding on the surface and is being pulled back and forth almost "darting" back a forth. It' annoying.

The car tracks true and straight and there doesn't appear to be any unusual tire wear.

I would appreciate any help from long time V owners.

Cheers

Trapspeed
06-23-13, 10:25 AM
Your tires are more than 90% in probability your problem. Mismatched sets are notorious for this problem.

musclecar6
06-23-13, 12:20 PM
Just curious, why did the dealer put Hankooks on it( assuming PS2's are on the front). To save a few bucks ?

USAFRET
06-23-13, 12:33 PM
Just curious, why did the dealer put Hankooks on it( assuming PS2's are on the front). To save a few bucks ?

They claimed the two left side tires had visible sidewall damage from what they believe was a defect with the hauler that transported the vehicle from the auction site several hundred miles from the dealer. I have no reason not to believe them. It is what it is, not much I can do about that now.

They bought and installed four brand new Hankook tires. But back to my problem, could a poor alignment be the cause? Even though the car tracks straight and true and has no shimmies.

RaVeNous
06-23-13, 01:08 PM
The have NO excuse for not marching the factory tires. Not only the mismatch, but the tire brand and model could account for this. Certain tread patterns are much worse about this than others. Start there.

USAFRET
06-23-13, 02:23 PM
The have NO excuse for not marching the factory tires. Not only the mismatch, but the tire brand and model could account for this. Certain tread patterns are much worse about this than others. Start there.

Before I dump four brand new tires and spend $1400 on new tires I'm going to have my dealer take a look at my car first. There is always a chance something else could be wrong like alignment. I'll gladly pay for alignment if that could cure the problem and even if it doesn't at least I'll know that part of my suspension is in spec and then can move on.

Cheers

pat2t2f
06-23-13, 03:08 PM
If its the tires, the dealer should pay for new ones. He is the one who put non stock tires on the car in the first place.

thegraham77
06-23-13, 03:26 PM
I have the same tires on my '11 A6 and haven't had any problems that you've described here. I really like these tires. I guess it's possible you have a bad set of tires though (if that's indeed what the problem is).

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-23-13, 07:19 PM
Hello USAFRET,

I would like to research this issue for you further. Have you had your vehicle diagnosed recently at your local GM dealership? If you could provide me with your name, address, phone number, VIN, vehicle mileage, and name of preferred dealership via private message, I can research the issue further for you. Thank you!

Jessica
Cadillac Customer Care

Since I bought my 2011 A6 V coupe in March I've noticed and have tried to figure out what my V is doing and how to fix it. I'm stumped. Here's the deal. First some details on the car.

It's a 2011 A6 V coupe that had 4206 miles on it when I bought it in March. The selling dealer claimed two tires were damaged during transport and bought and installed new Hankook V12 tires filled with nitrogen to factory specs. The car is flawless except for this anomaly.

When speeds exceed about 45 MPH all the way to (let's just say above posted limits) the vehicle keeps wandering back and forth. It's worse than any Corvette I have ever owned and Vette's are knowing for "traming I believe is the term" as a by product of suspension alignment and big wide tires. But my V is so bad it has made my wife feel ill. I've played with tire pressures and nothing I can do corrects or reduces the affect.

The car feels like it's riding on the surface and is being pulled back and forth almost "darting" back a forth. It' annoying.

The car tracks true and straight and there doesn't appear to be any unusual tire wear.

I would appreciate any help from long time V owners.

Cheers

USAFRET
06-23-13, 07:38 PM
If its the tires, the dealer should pay for new ones. He is the one who put non stock tires on the car in the first place.

I bought the car out of state, so my local dealer (who has been superb) will be handling this claim/issue. I doubt they will pay for four new tires considering my car only has 6300 miles on it.

pat2t2f
06-23-13, 08:11 PM
You are right. I thought you purchased from a local dealer.

spearfish25
06-23-13, 10:05 PM
So the original dealer threw away the other two tires with only 4200 miles on them? And then put on some cheapo Hankook V12s? I'd be furious. They should buy 4 new PS2s for you. The two good ones that were tossed had a lot of life in them, and they should have replaced the damaged tires with standard OEM PS2s.

neuronbob
06-24-13, 07:50 AM
Post retracted due to reading comprehension.....

DCV
06-24-13, 08:38 AM
Obvious question, are the tire pressures set properly on all 4 tires? I can feel a difference of 2-3 pounds on my V if they are not each set properly.

OldRoadDawg
06-24-13, 08:43 AM
They bought and installed four brand new Hankook tires. But back to my problem, could a poor alignment be the cause? Even though the car tracks straight and true and has no shimmies.

Before I dump four brand new tires and spend $1400 on new tires I'm going to have my dealer take a look at my car first. There is always a chance something else could be wrong like alignment. I'll gladly pay for alignment if that could cure the problem and even if it doesn't at least I'll know that part of my suspension is in spec and then can move on.

Why would the tires be 'mismatched if the dealer put on four new tires?

'Assuming' the Hankooks are the correct sizes, not overinflated and there are no worn suspension parts - then possibly some minor tweaks to the alignment may be all that is needed. Tire wear won't show up for awhile, but the camber or toe-in being off will be noticeable... particularly when you start driving on new tires of a different brand. And the alignment may have gotten messed up when the other tires were damaged.

Info on: Tramlining (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=47)

neuronbob
06-24-13, 09:01 AM
Jeez, I missed the OP's second post.

I retract my previous post but still suspect a tire issue.

Trapspeed
06-24-13, 09:43 AM
Clearly I drew some incorrect conclusion, too. Thought only 2 were new.

tinman
06-24-13, 11:51 AM
Agreed. I "read" 2 tires also. I stand corrected.

Based on the information you have provided, I can only think of either a shock has lost a bolt or some other suspension problem like that, or a tire has had the belts separate.

I once had a car come from the factory without a shock attached, it just hung there. Driving was, umm, interesting.

Xaqtly
06-24-13, 12:54 PM
It could also be an alignment issue and have nothing to do with the tires. Might want to get that checked.

USAFRET
06-24-13, 03:27 PM
I'm dropping by the dealer on my way home this evening to book an appointment. More to follow.

And to clear the record the dealer installed FOUR brand new OEM sized Hankook V12's. I had these same tires on my wife's 08 Jaguar XK and they were one of the best performance tires I have ever driven on.

tinman
06-24-13, 03:44 PM
Obviously as many folks mentioned, the fact that you have a matching set of 4 new tires eliminates the mismatched tire issue in toto.

cdog533
06-24-13, 03:45 PM

It's a 2011 A6 V coupe that had 4206 miles on it when I bought it in March. The selling dealer claimed two tires were damaged during transport and bought and installed new Hankook V12 tires filled with nitrogen to factory specs.

Hmmm. Could the car have had frame damage in the first 4206 miles? Was it in a heavy collision?

Also, could the wheels or suspension have been damaged during transport? Something messed up two tires enough that the dealer replaced them. Did the wheels take a hard shunt that maybe bent suspension components?

Is one of the wheels loose? Or is it not seated right?

I would look at those issues. Get it on a lift and push and pull everything. Hit stuff with a rubber mallet.

It sounds like there is a serious alignment issue somewhere.

USAFRET
06-24-13, 05:29 PM
Just dropped off my v at Jack Schmitt Cadillac, they will conduct an inspection followed by a test drive then check the alignment. Lugs should be Ok as they replaced all 20 lugs under the clicking wheel TSB 6 weeks ago.

More to follow.

BTW they gave me a new XTS, I don't like the CUE and the automatic glove box door doesn't work and the car only has 134 miles on it.

thebigjimsho
06-24-13, 10:30 PM
While the Hanoooks aren't as good as the PS2s, they are fine tires and not your problem...

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-25-13, 01:38 PM
Just dropped off my v at Jack Schmitt Cadillac, they will conduct an inspection followed by a test drive then check the alignment. Lugs should be Ok as they replaced all 20 lugs under the clicking wheel TSB 6 weeks ago.

More to follow.

BTW they gave me a new XTS, I don't like the CUE and the automatic glove box door doesn't work and the car only has 134 miles on it.

Hello USAFRET,

Thanks for updating us on the current situation. I see your vehicle is at the dealership for diagnosis. Let us know how things go after you hear back from the dealer. If there are additional questions or concerns you would like to discuss, please reach out to us via private message.

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

USAFRET
06-25-13, 02:17 PM
Hello USAFRET,

Thanks for updating us on the current situation. I see your vehicle is at the dealership for diagnosis. Let us know how things go after you hear back from the dealer. If there are additional questions or concerns you would like to discuss, please reach out to us via private message.

Laura M.

Laura - Thanks for following up, Jack Schmitt Cadillac in O' Fallon IL has to be one of the best dealer experience's you can hope for.

USAFRET
06-27-13, 07:55 AM
Problem resolved, my V is now PERFECT.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-2013-cadillac-cts-v-general/316385-follow-up-my-unusual-suspension-feel.html

pat2t2f
06-27-13, 09:33 AM
Glad it got resolved fairly painlessly.

Enjoy the car

tinman
06-27-13, 09:50 AM
Yeah, what he said ^^^^, Now go drive the wheels off that bad boy.

Mr V
06-27-13, 09:53 AM
slipped a belt in the tire, same crap happened to my 2004 M3, everything you described or you have a bent wheel

spearfish25
06-28-13, 11:46 AM
slipped a belt in the tire

How would one 'slip a belt in a tire'? The belts are encased in the tire rubber. They ain't moving. If you have problems with belts then your tires are bald.

tinman
06-28-13, 01:14 PM
No, on radial tires the belts can slip and you get a major wobble side to side.

USAFRET
06-28-13, 01:43 PM
slipped a belt in the tire, same crap happened to my 2004 M3, everything you described or you have a bent wheel

No is was a simple aligment. But one has to wonder why with just 4200 miles on the clock (when I bought it this past March) did it need an alignment. Clearly either the car left the factory that way, or something happened during it's short time out and about on America's roads, but what would cause ALL FOUR wheels to be out of spec?

But in any event a $129 alignment fixed my issue and the V is a joy to drive now, even my wife will ride with me again.

thebigjimsho
06-28-13, 07:44 PM
Unless you're buying tires on a used rack of a gas station, I don't think any belt is just going to slip...

spearfish25
06-30-13, 11:53 PM
I've had three alignments and my steering wheel still isn't centered. The third time was a shop that absolutely knows what theyre doing. Getting tired of this.

1997BlackETC
07-01-13, 12:08 AM
I've had three alignments and my steering wheel still isn't centered. The third time was a shop that absolutely knows what theyre doing. Getting tired of this.

I can sympathise what your going through, I had the same issue with my V wagon last winter, was at the dealer a lot. Then I changed dealers and they found the rear toe to be off a bit and that straightened right out my steering wheel, apparently this is a issue on these cars.

Haze
07-01-13, 01:07 AM
My guess is that those first 4,200 miles were a whole lot of fun for somebody. I have 30K miles on my V Wagon and only had one alignment, in which the wheels were definitely out. There is a lot of stress on these things from the competency of the suspension. One has a tendency to take every corner faster than you would in a normal car. I have also just replaced one blown shock and let me tell you, that makes it ride like a wounded walrus. Still love this thing though. Glad that it got fixed for you and have fun!

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-01-13, 04:27 PM

Hello spearfish25,

Sorry to hear about this issue. It seems like other members have gone through this as well and I understand it can be frustrating. If you would like to further discuss your concern, please private message me with your contact information, VIN, current mileage and the name and location of the dealership you have worked with.

Laura M.

----------

Problem resolved, my V is now PERFECT.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-2013-cadillac-cts-v-general/316385-follow-up-my-unusual-suspension-feel.html

Hello USAFRET,

You are welcome for following up with you previously. Thanks for updating us on your situation again and providing the link that explains the resolution to your vehicle issue. I am happy to hear it was able to be fixed. As a Cadillac V owner, you should be nothing but happy driving your vehicle. Continue to enjoy your vehicle!

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care