: Upgraded audio

YankeeVic
06-23-13, 08:09 AM
Has anyone upgraded their audio system? I own a Luxury 2.0T. I find the bass that come from the Bose speakers flat & sometimes missing. Has anyone added a tube or additional speakers? Thoughts?

cullama213
06-23-13, 09:27 PM
I am currently working on a system upgrade that will include two JL Audio XD amps, one Rockford 360.3 to integrate the amps in with CUE, one JL Audio 10TW3 and upgraded fronts/center channel (either JL or Hertz, haven't decided)...

The equipment is all installed in a custom fabricated trunk. The trunk is built, but I am having issues posting photos. Once I figure it out, I'll post my progress.

YankeeVic
06-24-13, 01:19 PM
I am currently working on a system upgrade that will include two JL Audio XD amps, one Rockford 360.3 to integrate the amps in with CUE, one JL Audio 10TW3 and upgraded fronts/center channel (either JL or Hertz, haven't decided)...

The equipment is all installed in a custom fabricated trunk. The trunk is built, but I am having issues posting photos. Once I figure it out, I'll post my progress.

Wow. That's WAY more complicated than I was thinking. I'm considering just putting a tube in the trunk to enhance the bass. I hope to see those pictures soon. Sounds like quite a project.

donavo
06-24-13, 02:38 PM
Wow. That's WAY more complicated than I was thinking. I'm considering just putting a tube in the trunk to enhance the bass. I hope to see those pictures soon. Sounds like quite a project.

i used to be into sound systems in the car with my older cars. but i dont wanna add anything or overkill and make the car a donker. what u wanna do is just fine though. look into the new kicker woofer that just hooks up to power and ur subwoofer speaker. its gotten good reviews. kicker hideaway.

cullama213
06-24-13, 08:11 PM
i used to be into sound systems in the car with my older cars. but i dont wanna add anything or overkill and make the car a donker. what u wanna do is just fine though. look into the new kicker woofer that just hooks up to power and ur subwoofer speaker. its gotten good reviews. kicker hideaway.

A donker?

Thanks for the insult.

donavo
06-24-13, 08:42 PM
A donker?

Thanks for the insult.

im sorry i didnt mean it that way. from what i read on ur post, ur going all the way and doing a clean job. donker would be if i went and just got the basic essentials from downtown LA and had the mexicans half ass put it in, then listen to music inside while the car sounds like a vibrating dildo from the outside. im positive whatever ur doing is not gonna b like that.
didnt mean to insult u. im interested to see what urs ends up turning into though. i would put a system in mine as well but i cant go all out like you, so mine would end up being a donker.

ewired
06-24-13, 08:50 PM
Kudos and throw up some pics. God knows this Bose system in this car sucks ass!

rustybear3
06-25-13, 12:08 AM
im sorry i didnt mean it that way. from what i read on ur post, ur going all the way and doing a clean job. donker would be if i went and just got the basic essentials from downtown LA and had the mexicans half ass put it in, then listen to music inside while the car sounds like a vibrating dildo from the outside. im positive whatever ur doing is not gonna b like that.
didnt mean to insult u. im interested to see what urs ends up turning into though. i would put a system in mine as well but i cant go all out like you, so mine would end up being a donker.

too bad you insulted Hispanics though....

pissedoffwookiee
06-25-13, 12:29 AM

lol,....give a little / take a little, ....asian philosophy could be used to argue his response was in balance, the yin/yang of his statement being apology/insult

donavo
06-25-13, 12:54 AM

lmao this is the first post i like by u man. made me chuckle. i didnt think anyone would catch that easily. thought i could .......slip it past u guys

stevenzoz
06-25-13, 11:55 PM
I have a performance and had a standard with cue, both with the better bose sound system. I had a luxury for a loaner and honestly didn't realize it had less speakers. So weird that you can get the Standard and add CUE as an option, and you get the 10 speakers. Luxury comes standard with CUE but you can't get the 10 speakers unless you get nav? (which isn't even available on the standard)

bluecrayon
06-25-13, 11:58 PM
I'm interested in this post as well.....the Bose system is by all accounts "ok" for most people but I've been doing custom audio systems in my cars for 20 years and it just isn't even comparable. MY question is exactly what can you do with a lease?? Would a small amp and an upgraded sub be an issue? Or even a small box in the trunk? The highs and mids are good enough, but I would like to enhance the lows. These systems are weird, sometimes lower bass sounds good but sometimes it's missing.

stevenzoz
06-26-13, 12:03 AM
that being said, I do love the system and perhaps didn't take it up all the way in my loaner because I do love me some bass. I previously had a harmon/kardon and Monsoon before that and this is my favorite so far.

YankeeVic
06-26-13, 04:55 AM
I don't want do too much but a little enhancement is needed. The bass is just so weak. What I wonder is how a small tube in the truck would effect the elcetronics. Also, with screws only on the top of the license plate, will a tube make this fine vehicle a rattle box.

pissedoffwookiee
06-26-13, 05:22 PM
I don't want do too much but a little enhancement is needed. The bass is just so weak. What I wonder is how a small tube in the truck would effect the elcetronics. Also, with screws only on the top of the license plate, will a tube make this fine vehicle a rattle box.

I agree, and will add to this wish/request, "a little enhancement, that is drop in easy and either concealed or easily reversible" would prefer a drop in, because the trunk is small enough already and with no spare a wheel well sub is out too.

having been in the home A/V business what I would like if anyone knows of such a beast is a sub that is infinite baffle friendly (makeing it drop in friendly) that has a lighter diaphram (makes speaker much more responsive and tighter sounding) and had a high sensitivity (makes it react more and louder with the same power) and most importantly is tolerant of bose (weird OHM and power) I get this from my favorite brand of speaker, Martin Logan their membrane/filament speakers are so fast and accurate, that there was not a sub on the market that could keep up resulting in muddy sound so they developed their own concentrating on lightweight drivers (for speed) and high sensitivity (for speed, accuracy, and detail to maximise available power)

this sounds like just what our Bose needs, and my Martin Logan sub is amazing, after my panasonic plasma easily my favorite home theater component. its very tight sounding and accurate, fast enough to reach up into mid/mid bass, very easy on the ears and subtle, but LOUD!!! as hell when the action starts happening onscreen. I would be overjoyed if our bose sub sounded like this, but i will settle for a little easy improvement.

again if anyone knows of such a speaker please do tell.

cullama213
06-26-13, 06:00 PM
Well, my 10" sub is installed in the storage bin under the floor (where the spare would be) and takes up ZERO trunk space and I can still throw anything I want in the trunk as the equipment is all protected by Caddy themed grilles.

I will try to get some photos posted this week so everyone can see the fruits of my labor

pissedoffwookiee
06-26-13, 07:44 PM
Well, my 10" sub is installed in the storage bin under the floor (where the spare would be) and takes up ZERO trunk space and I can still throw anything I want in the trunk as the equipment is all protected by Caddy themed grilles.

I will try to get some photos posted this week so everyone can see the fruits of my labor

sounds sweet (conceptually of course I haven't heard it), sounds like you replaced the foam bin and floor, did you remove the bose sub to let the sound pass into the cabin? I dont have the fold down or pass through so wondering about sound, i'm also guessing this is amplified, how did you interface it with the Bose.

cullama213
06-26-13, 10:09 PM

cullama213
06-26-13, 10:14 PM
Alright, figured out how to post some photos. Sorry they are upside down and low quality, if you click on them they flip and look much better.

At the moment, the system is not playing as I work around 55 hours a week and only get to work on this in my spare time. Everything you see was fabricated by me in my garage.

The two amps will integrate with the Bose system after the factory amp via a Rockford Fosgate 360.3. Basically I will send the high level inputs into the RF unit and convert it to RCA level. The RF unit has crossovers, time alignment and EQ built in.

As for the factory sub, I will be pulling it out and using that hole as my main 'vent' for the new sub I to the car.

cullama213
06-26-13, 10:19 PM
Here are some build pics... Note the use of aluminum on the sub box to match my new aluminum trim on my interior...

The use of fiberglass reinforced body filler is to assure tight tolerances with the factory trunk panels...

cullama213
06-26-13, 10:20 PM
As it progresses, I will post some more pics...

pissedoffwookiee
06-26-13, 11:14 PM
As it progresses, I will post some more pics...

Awesome, I applaud your ingenuity.... one question, what are your thoughts on the Bose active noise canceling dialing out some of your improved bass mistaking it for road noise? assuming it's familiar with its own sub/amp and their specs/parameters and not familiar with your upgrades?

cullama213
06-26-13, 11:32 PM
If it does cancel something out, then I will end up disconnecting the mics.

To be honest, I really can't tell that the ANC does much anyways.

donavo
06-26-13, 11:51 PM
If it does cancel something out, then I will end up disconnecting the mics.

To be honest, I really can't tell that the ANC does much anyways.

It has an option to turn off under audio settings. Don't disconnect mics lol

Hoosier Daddy
06-27-13, 03:02 AM
Unless he's trying to get hired by Edmunds. One of their writers (with engineer in his title) said he was going to cut the wires to the vibrating seats. Apparently wasn't an advanced enough engineer to just turn the option off.

cullama213
06-27-13, 06:14 AM

Where is there an option to turn it off? I must have missed that, and yes I am an engineer! Haha

pissedoffwookiee
06-27-13, 08:06 AM
Where is there an option to turn it off? I must have missed that, and yes I am an engineer! Haha

you can't turn off the ANC I think the setting being referred to is the Bose audiopilot(which is defeatable) which adjusts eq and volume levels based on road noise increase heard through the mics …same mics different function ANC listens for road AND engine noise and specifically targets them with a cancelation noise (opposite phase generated signal introduced into the audio signal sent to speakers)

cullama213
06-27-13, 08:21 AM
you can't turn off the ANC I think the setting being referred to is the Bose audiopilot(which is defeatable) which adjusts eq and volume levels based on road noise increase heard through the mics …same mics different function ANC listens for road AND engine noise and specifically targets them with a cancelation noise (opposite phase generated signal introduced into the audio signal sent to speakers)

Ok, I know where Audiopilot is... Didn't think there was a away to defeat ANC (I actually asked Cadillac and they said to disconnect the mics)... People in the audio scene, of which I am a part of, do this sort of thing in the higher end cars all the time...

pissedoffwookiee
06-27-13, 02:15 PM
Ok, I know where Audiopilot is... Didn't think there was a away to defeat ANC (I actually asked Cadillac and they said to disconnect the mics)... People in the audio scene, of which I am a part of, do this sort of thing in the higher end cars all the time...

I know there are 3 of them....... i don't recall if onstar uses them too, I do know onstar tries to have the car mic'd up so they can communicate with all passengers, like in escalade there are 2 onstar mics in front one for each front seat and another in back for the rear passengers. In the ATS I don't know if they're shared or not

cullama213
07-01-13, 12:08 AM
Got the sub wired up this weekend... Sounds great and no issues with the ANC, at least from what I can tell.

Now I need to add some sound deadening...

stephencsombok
07-09-13, 12:58 PM
I had to pull out the noise cancelation microphones in the headliner due to the fact it would send out low frequency (aka BASS) to cancel out road noise. Did any of you guys have the same problem?

Thanks

cullama213
07-09-13, 10:26 PM
I am not hearing any issues yet... My 10" sounds amazing.
What did you add?

Also, how hard was it to remove the mics?

duneless
11-07-13, 12:29 AM
I had to cut one wire on each mic to stop the rumble feedback. Easy to reconnect .
you can't turn off the ANC I think the setting being referred to is the Bose audiopilot(which is defeatable) which adjusts eq and volume levels based on road noise increase heard through the mics ůsame mics different function ANC listens for road AND engine noise and specifically targets them with a cancelation noise (opposite phase generated signal introduced into the audio signal sent to speakers)

----------

I had the same problem. As soon as your door is closed it activates the ncs.Feed back starts as soon as you hit the brakes ,Back up and such. Road noise. I talked about this on another thread. They seemed not to have this problem. I cut 1 wire on each mic.
I had to pull out the noise cancelation microphones in the headliner due to the fact it would send out low frequency (aka BASS) to cancel out road noise. Did any of you guys have the same problem?

Thanks

bmcleod
11-07-13, 03:01 PM
Impressive upgrade Cullama213, looks like nice work, bet it sounds good too.

Rifle and rucksack
11-08-13, 01:07 PM
Got the sub wired up this weekend... Sounds great and no issues with the ANC, at least from what I can tell. Now I need to add some sound deadening...

Cullama213, this is pretty much the same setup I was thinking of except I was just going to purchase a prowedge enclosure from JL audio with the w7 or the w6. Judging by your installation, do you think either of these would be overkill? Also I was planing to go with the slash 600v3 to power it because it had the built in bass EQ, is it really needed? Lastly, what speaker setup did you go with up front? Thanks in advance, Mike.

torkibe
11-08-13, 09:52 PM
Those who disabled the mics... Do you notice a difference in noise levels now? I found the quietness of the cabin one of the best features of this car.

duneless
11-09-13, 12:50 AM
I hear the engine and the exhaust better. For me that suits me better. Really though I can't tell much difference besides driving on the highway I get more noise. In town on the roads I drive it like I stole it and I always heard the engine and the exhaust. I prefer the mics disconnected . That's just me.

Those who disabled the mics... Do you notice a difference in noise levels now? I found the quietness of the cabin one of the best features of this car.

transam00
11-09-13, 04:06 AM
I've been hearing a strange sound at around 70mph .it's like the wind buffering around the car and it doesn't seem natural. I wonder if it's the sound cancelation stuff !!

duneless
11-09-13, 01:01 PM
I would say yes if you have an amp and sub. Mine would slowing down or taking off. A roar sound like I had a v8. As soon as I cut 1wire on each Mic it stopped. Maybe if you have the 10 speaker system and nav. Some people don't get it. Maybe they don't have the 10 speaker. Not sure. All wires are run away from each other so no noise coming from rcas. Anyway it solved my v8 sound. All its doing is sending a low freq to your sub to cancel out road noise. And if it is amplified with an amp than its enough to cancel out a jet airplane. Good luck.

I've been hearing a strange sound at around 70mph .it's like the wind buffering around the car and it doesn't seem natural. I wonder if it's the sound cancelation stuff !!

onecleancaddy
04-01-14, 08:55 PM
I hate to revive an old thread, and I may have missed it stated else where, but about cutting the mic's... I assume these are the same mic's used for bluetooth, no?

CADILLACATS2013
04-01-14, 10:05 PM
No the mic for voice command and bluetooth is in headliner in front of driver, the mics to cut for bose noise cancelling are located in headliner in backseat in the middle and in the hand grips on driver and passenger side in the headliner above the doors.

jason75070
04-23-14, 09:53 PM
I'm seriously considering a relatively high end upgrade but am concerned that the money invested maybe overkill. I have the factory Bose 10 speaker and can't decide if I just want to add a sub or go full tilt. Those that have made upgrades, do you have any opinions or suggestions?

duneless
04-23-14, 11:36 PM
Nothing wrong with going all out. Not that hard to get the job done. You know if you do a sub you will probably want more. I'm happy just with a sub for now.
I'm seriously considering a relatively high end upgrade but am concerned that the money invested maybe overkill. I have the factory Bose 10 speaker and can't decide if I just want to add a sub or go full tilt. Those that have made upgrades, do you have any opinions or suggestions?

greezychef
04-23-14, 11:58 PM

describe "full tilt" please. do you want to "feel" the music?

lol, just noticed mckinney, tx. hit me up man. ill come to you so you can hear mine.

jason75070
04-24-14, 12:10 PM
describe "full tilt" please. do you want to "feel" the music? lol, just noticed mckinney, tx. hit me up man. ill come to you so you can hear mine.

Audison Bit Ten, Hertz HDP5 amplifier, Hertz Hi-Energy separates in the front (active) and Hybrid Audio Clarus 10 or 12 in a ported enclosure.

db_outlaw
04-24-14, 12:27 PM
I have plans to go 'full tilt' with my ATS and replacing the 10-speaker Bose:

Scanspeak tweeters
Dynaudio Esotar for mids, center and sub (single 12" free air)
Audison Bit 1
Audison amps (5.1k and SR2)

I actually have all of the gear plus deadening, just need to get some availability with my on-the-side installer and tuner. I don't see it as a waste, rather an investment. Stereo I use all the time and when I sell the car, the gear comes with me and goes into the next vehicle. I re-used a trio of Zapco C2k amps in 3 cars. Win-win.

greezychef
04-24-14, 10:54 PM
Audison Bit Ten, Hertz HDP5 amplifier, Hertz Hi-Energy separates in the front (active) and Hybrid Audio Clarus 10 or 12 in a ported enclosure.

just some thoughts:
1. remove the factory rear sub, its useless. port through the hole if at all possible.
2. work with the rear deck to remove the rattles.
3. car will hold 1500-1800 watts before needing to add battery (just my guess)
4. skip the five channel amp. run a dedicated amp for your front stage only, and another amp for your sub.
5. i wouldnt go less than 600-800wrms for the sub or more than 1500wrms. 2 500-750 watt 12s would be perfect in my opinion but thats gonna eat up a lot of room.
6. second skin! its worth it.

as far as going "high end"....dude thats up to you. lurk around the smd forum. their are plenty, and i mean plenty more "affordable" options that will sound just as good or even better than stuff priced way higher. to me, you are looking for a quality sound and i can definitely respect that. but "quality sound" don't necessarily mean it has to be expensive to get there.

80-125x2 watts to your front stage and at least 600 watts to your sub. you will be very happy. the devil in this car is getting that rear deck rattle free. especially when playing in that 45-60 hz range. its a booger.

jason75070
05-02-14, 12:12 AM
just some thoughts: 1. remove the factory rear sub, its useless. port through the hole if at all possible. 2. work with the rear deck to remove the rattles. 3. car will hold 1500-1800 watts before needing to add battery (just my guess) 4. skip the five channel amp. run a dedicated amp for your front stage only, and another amp for your sub. 5. i wouldnt go less than 600-800wrms for the sub or more than 1500wrms. 2 500-750 watt 12s would be perfect in my opinion but thats gonna eat up a lot of room. 6. second skin! its worth it. as far as going "high end"....dude thats up to you. lurk around the smd forum. their are plenty, and i mean plenty more "affordable" options that will sound just as good or even better than stuff priced way higher. to me, you are looking for a quality sound and i can definitely respect that. but "quality sound" don't necessarily mean it has to be expensive to get there. 80-125x2 watts to your front stage and at least 600 watts to your sub. you will be very happy. the devil in this car is getting that rear deck rattle free. especially when playing in that 45-60 hz range. its a booger.

Thanks for the input. So many decisions. Champagne tastes and hating to spend the dough always makes my life challenging.

jason75070
06-09-14, 10:41 PM
Upgrade completed, still breaking in. I will take it back in a few weeks for a retune after speakers have broken in. My first real system and no regrets so far.

However I would say if you wanted to keep it on the cheaper side a new sub and new front tweeters would make a major improvement too.

I may end up having more sound deadening at some point in the future. Back deck and roof could probably use some attention.

greezychef
06-09-14, 11:02 PM
Upgrade completed, still breaking in. I will take it back in a few weeks for a retune after speakers have broken in. My first real system and no regrets so far.

However I would say if you wanted to keep it on the cheaper side a new sub and new front tweeters would make a major improvement too.

I may end up having more sound deadening at some point in the future. Back deck and roof could probably use some attention.

we are going through mine again starting tomorrow. deadening deadening and more deadening. its tedious. should be doing my first sound quality competition on the 28th of this month in Houston.

MoistCabbage
06-09-14, 11:09 PM
deadening deadening and more deadening.As in slapping on layers if Dynamat or its equivalent? If so, you're doing it wrong...

greezychef
06-11-14, 01:48 AM
As in slapping on layers if Dynamat or its equivalent? If so, you're doing it wrong...

nah bro...dont worry, i got this.

duneless
06-11-14, 02:08 AM
You going with a TLINE box?

greezychef
06-11-14, 02:13 PM
Yes 2 800 wrms 8's on about 1800 wrms in a t-line tuned around 30 hz. I'll update the pop trunk thread and give a link to the build thread. We're working and tuning next 3 weeks and hopefully showing it for first time on 28th of this month

duneless
06-11-14, 10:20 PM
8's ?. Haven't seen one with 8's. That's still gonna be a big box right? Can't wait to see how that turns out. Keep us posted man.
Yes 2 800 wrms 8's on about 1800 wrms in a t-line tuned around 30 hz. I'll update the pop trunk thread and give a link to the build thread. We're working and tuning next 3 weeks and hopefully showing it for first time on 28th of this month

greezychef
06-12-14, 07:25 PM
Yeah even with 8's the box is large. Got to hear the 400 watt 8's and it was real nice can't wait to hear the 800 watt 8's. Should hit pretty hard while still being tight and accurate.

duneless
06-13-14, 12:11 AM
Hit us up with pics when you can.
Yeah even with 8's the box is large. Got to hear the 400 watt 8's and it was real nice can't wait to hear the 800 watt 8's. Should hit pretty hard while still being tight and accurate.

ctstasy
07-14-14, 08:38 PM
FYI - found switched power in the rear fuse panel. Number 25 - "Camera". I assume since nobody has found this, that it only exists in cars with adaptive cruise control. Also, it only send a signal when car is running - NOT in accessory (similar to V1 radar install from this forum - purple wire in rear view mirror housing worked like a charm).

One question - I have a 10" rockford in a sealed box. When I pop the trunk - the volume increases for the sub and sounds fuller. I HAVE disconnected all 3 mics for Bose sound cancellation - cut BOTH wires of all 3. No difference when opening a door, only the trunk. Thinking this could also have to do with the cubic volume of air in the trunk when it is open... Anyone experience similar issue?

duneless
07-14-14, 10:57 PM
The opening the door thing would just be after your install. If you are going to get feed back it will do it with the door closed and you are driving. The noise canceling shuts off when the door opens. As for your sub mine does the same in a band pass box. I think it has something to do with the shape of the trunk. Not sure. I drive around with 1 split back seat down and it is 3 times as loud.

But I do know what you mean about the sub being fuller with the trunk open. I have mine firing up at the rear deck. It doesn't have anything to do with the sealed enclosure because mine is ported and it does the same thing. Keep your windows open and the air should go through the cabin more for better sound. If I close my windows the sub doesn't move that much due to tight air cabin pressure.
FYI - found switched power in the rear fuse panel. Number 25 - "Camera". I assume since nobody has found this, that it only exists in cars with adaptive cruise control. Also, it only send a signal when car is running - NOT in accessory (similar to V1 radar install from this forum - purple wire in rear view mirror housing worked like a charm).

One question - I have a 10" rockford in a sealed box. When I pop the trunk - the volume increases for the sub and sounds fuller. I HAVE disconnected all 3 mics for Bose sound cancellation - cut BOTH wires of all 3. No difference when opening a door, only the trunk. Thinking this could also have to do with the cubic volume of air in the trunk when it is open... Anyone experience similar issue?