: Looks like Ford is adding dials and knobs back into the mix...

mbk2010
06-22-13, 11:43 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/23/automobiles/ford-brings-back-the-dial.html?ref=automobiles

I agree with the last observation....

After a year on the market, the response has been positive, Cadillac says — although its field research suggests that people are using the steering wheel and voice commands more than the dashboard screen.

Fraggy
06-23-13, 01:58 AM
The dashboard screen is cool, ans while I like being able to touch the screen, I also wish there were other ways to interact with on-screen content, such as the knob in BMWs.

It would be the perfect hybrid and would take cue to the highest was level.

Trying to tap certain parts of the screen while driving and the cars bouncing around is really hard to do sometimes. Verbal commands or a solid wheel would instantly fix those problems

huna
06-24-13, 12:44 PM
I commented months ago about how the one thing that makes me crazy with CUE is trying to change the radio station. There were some good discussions and suggestions, such as filling up all the presets with as many stations as you can. But still, it is a disaster. Having to take your eyes off the road, accidentally hitting the preset buttons instead of seek, and slow response. Admittedly, not as many people even listen to the radio as they used to. But I go through the XM stations a lot.

By way of comparison, I rented a car this weekend for two full days. AMAZING how nice the old-fashioned knob was for changing the station. :-)

FDNY-L107
06-25-13, 04:21 PM
+1 for knobs! Sometimes old school has advantages. :)

richardbbarger
06-25-13, 10:59 PM
...After a year on the market, the response has been positive, Cadillac says — although its field research suggests that people are using the steering wheel and voice commands more than the dashboard screen.

We're among those who default to voice and steering wheel controls whenever possible. Now it is easy and seems natural.

We quickly learned to use voice commands to tune the radio -- but we sorely miss the radio "scan" feature that we used all the time on our Seville.