: Should I buy a CTS-V or not?

tcb100
02-09-05, 11:14 PM
I was at the Cadillac dealers a few hours ago and am real interested in a 2005 CTS-V but looking over this site and reading the horror stories about wheel hop & the rear end, I am having second thoughts.

What good is that beautiful engine if you can't launch?

In light of the wheel hop & weak rear problem, should I wait for a redesigned rear or just hope I don't have a problem?

Can the car be occasionally launched at a drag strip without leaving the rear at the line?

Would you buy another one?

Clintonwmills
02-09-05, 11:19 PM
I was at the Cadillac dealers a few hours ago and am real interested in a 2005 CTS-V but looking over this site and reading the horror stories about wheel hop & the rear end, I am having second thoughts.

What good is that beautiful engine if you can't launch?

In light of the wheel hop & weak rear problem, should I wait for a redesigned rear or just hope I don't have a problem?

Can the car be occasionally launched at a drag strip without leaving the rear at the line?

Would you buy another one?

I would buy another one in a heart beat. Now of course i would love to trade mine in for a new designed model (if it came available.) I launched at the drag strip and was fine. Ran a 13.3.

slow35th
02-09-05, 11:20 PM
Go for it. It's a thrill. It'll launch fine....just takes skill. I love mine.

Lance

Barca10128
02-09-05, 11:27 PM
I would buy another with out giving it a second thought. The hop was a bigger problem when I had the stock tires on it. Since I put on the winter tires I have much less trouble.

Koooop
02-10-05, 01:29 AM
Yes, buy one! Nothing else in the market compares in price, quality and performance.

The wheel hop bugs me in the rain some, it bugged me more when I first got the car. It really doesn't bother now with about 4,000 miles on it. So it hops a little when I'm driving like a maniac...Oh well. I couldn't care less about the rear end, I don't think all of the cars are afflicted with rear end problems but then I have an '05 and all of the posts I looked at complaining about rear end failure on the V cars were '04s. Besides, if I keep the car long enough I would extend the warranty so it's the factorys problem (if it is a problem).

This car rocks, it's a Corvette with a patio and I can drive it everyday!
:band:

Vrocks
02-10-05, 01:36 AM
I have an '04 V and I love the car.

- I haven't experienced any hop for months now, and I don't baby the car. I also don't try to do burnouts but I have launched the car very hard, to the point where some minor hop occured.
- The rear end doesn't whine, and I haven't experienced any tire vibration problems either.
- I would buy it again.

:welcome: to the forum.

Groo-V
02-10-05, 08:21 AM
Best car I have ever owned.....period. I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

BUILDINGCTSAMG
02-10-05, 08:58 AM
why not wait for the redesigned v? Your going to take a hit when they redesign her anyway

SBONES
02-10-05, 09:18 AM
like anything else you might have to put alittle $ into it, but the car rocks. feather the clutch and there is no hop, rear end , i hammer the car and it loves it. No problems as of yet. Just little shit..im 31 and im far from a girley man i run it the way it was made. I would buy another one too...

CTSV05
02-10-05, 09:37 AM
I wouldn't hesitate to own two if money allowed!!

We have just over 3000 mi., and I've gotten much better at launching and shifting with minimal hop issues, just took some practice. You just need to be ready, and if the tires break loose once hammering, you just back off the throttle, regain grip and back into it.

I also noticed my rpms have dropped a couple of hundred cruising at the same speeds, so apparently she is broke in now.

tcb100
02-10-05, 11:49 AM
Pretty positive comments.

One of my toys is a 1993 RX-7 that does the quarter in 11.6 & still passes emissions so I am real familiar with wheel hop. The difference seems to be that Mazda put in a real strong Torsen rear & a powerplant frame that twists before the diff or axles destruct. I have solid trailing arms and solid toe links on the Mazda like the BMR pieces for the CTS-V & they help a little, but nothing gets it out of the Mazda except wrinkly Mickey Thompson ET Streets at the dragstrip. I doubt if there is a real solution on real street tires.

Thanks. I am encouraged. I will go drive it again today and flog it a bit.

V-seriesTech
02-10-05, 11:59 AM
Think Starsky and Hutch, Ben Stiller........DO IT, DO IT!

Truly an awesome car.

trukk
02-10-05, 12:57 PM
All the negative issues here is like griping about a small zit on a supermodels nose. Yes you wish it wasn't there, but...<SMACK>...she's a super model!

I WOULD ABSOLUTELY BUY THIS CAR AGAIN. In a heartbeat.

Make sure you get an exhause ASAP. IMHO the car just doesn't sound the way it should stock.

As I said in another thread:

I really enjoy the 'WTF is that' looks I get when the Corsa burbles down when I am comming to a stop at a stoplight. The guy in the car next to me will look at it, and is probabaly thinking, that doesn't sound the way the car looks. Then they take another look, and think, maybe it does sound the way it looks. WTF is that?

Then they see tail lights, and really hear the exhaust.

Enjoy your new car. Once you test drive it, you'll be locked.

-Chris

veloce
02-10-05, 01:21 PM
I have had a 93 rx-7 R-1 since new and my Cts-V has more wheel hop than the RX-7 but I would buy it again in a heartbeat. It took a while for products to come out to stop the Rxs wheel hop and my I bet the same will happen with the CTS-V.The V is not a dragster its a GT car and a great one at that.BTW I have 18000 on the V so far with 0 problems.

alcindus
02-10-05, 01:51 PM
I have 11000 miles on mine now ..just dont dump the clutch too hard. I ran thirteens at the track with no problem whatsoever.just time driving the car and practice . best ride ive ever owned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ylwjacket
02-10-05, 01:56 PM
Make sure you get an exhause ASAP. IMHO the car just doesn't sound the way it should stock.

As I said in another thread:

Enjoy your new car. Once you test drive it, you'll be locked.

-Chris

Want one now. It sounds gooooood...

trukk
02-10-05, 05:39 PM
Want one now. It sounds gooooood...

I had a guy in an older fleetwood (younger kid in it) pull up next to me in traffic and say:

"Man that sounds great. I was looking around for a mustang or something, then I thought, that sounds way to good to be a Mustang with some flowmasters. Then I saw your car. I had no idea Caddy's could sound like that."

:)

-Chris

FastBlack
02-10-05, 05:56 PM
I'm thinking about getting a V as well. My problem is I'm coming from a Z06 which is glued to the ground...

CTSV05
02-11-05, 12:22 AM
Not having driven a Z06, I won't prtend to compare, but I have driven a C5, and I wouldn't be afraid to take one on with the V.

We also traded a Mini S, and I'll take the V on anything but maybe the roughest of corners.

joshdctsv
02-11-05, 12:35 AM
I'm thinking about getting a V as well. My problem is I'm coming from a Z06 which is glued to the ground...
Look around and you'll find a lot of converted Z'ers, including me. Love this car