: How tough is a Fleetwood?

ShadowLvr400
02-10-05, 12:02 AM
I'm trying to find out crash ratings, tests, visuals, etc on my 96 Fleetwood. Basically, someone in my household said they saw 5 points on the car where a decent hit would split the car apart. I just can't quite see that car coming apart. Overall, there's just too much steel in it IMO.

Spock
02-10-05, 12:57 AM
Well that's just assumption on their part. How about the scientific method?!

Take their car, then ram yours into it. I guarantee you that you can drive away! If not I'll foot the cost!*

You could try looking for the caprice crash test rating, or roadmaster with the same engine. If the 96 cadillac has the engine cross bars then you're even better off than what theirs are.

*Offer only valid if they drive an import which is smaller

CharBroiled
02-10-05, 07:22 AM
The only accidents where Ive heard of a car coming apart are 100 mph+ accidents where the car hits sideways on a rear quarter. Im no expert though.

ShadowLvr400
02-10-05, 11:43 AM
She drives an Integra. (They're actually relatively tough.) She says it though because of her wreck a couple years back. Her Integra then split into like 3 main hunks. 100 odd mph.
Only thing I have is the insurance safety rating, with all cars in relation to 100. A rating of 25 indicates a 1/4 chance of being in a fatal accident. 100 indicates an average chance, and a rating of 395 would be 4x as likely to be killed in a wreck. My Eldo was an 87. The Fleetwood is a 32.

Adam
02-10-05, 07:32 PM
these cars can withstand hydraulics (wich i know is nothing compared to a crash) so i doubt they will split into pieces. i do know the body can bend a little at the back glass if you dont support it (thats with hydraulics).

SoundAdvantage
02-12-05, 02:16 AM
I'm trying to find out crash ratings, tests, visuals, etc on my 96 Fleetwood. Basically, someone in my household said they saw 5 points on the car where a decent hit would split the car apart. I just can't quite see that car coming apart. Overall, there's just too much steel in it IMO.

The 93-96 RWD Fleetwoods are some of the Safest Well built body on frame cars on the streets today. http://www.jeffezell.com/autosafetyads.htm

Katshot
02-12-05, 11:59 AM
Funny you should ask. Over the years, we had plenty of accidents with our fleet cars. It's amazing how much these cars can take! We had some wild ones over the years that totalled many cars but I can honestly say that all occupents always walked away with only minor injuries at most. That tells me that the cars did their job and protected the occupents. That said, the last gen. Fleetwoods had real wimpy frames to be honest. I was constatly amazed at how easily they would get bent in even minor accidents. Matter of fact, if you want to see for yourself, just put one on a lift and watch the whole front end sag as you lift the car off the ground. The front end actually may sag enough to make it hard to open the front doors. The other problem was the section that goes up over the rear axle. That section is so wimpy that even the most minor rear end hit would usually cause a bend in that area. One last frame issue, the cross brace that goes under the engine. It looks tough enough but all RWD GM cars (more pronounced in the full-size cars) for decades have had a problem with that area sagging. It's usually only in high-mileage cars but it DOES happen. You'll only know it when your alignment shop calls to tell you that they cannot get the camber set on your car due to the frame sag. They'll suggest the installation of a "camber-kit" to solve it. The only other solution is to have a frame shop straighten the frame (the solution I generally chose).

SoundAdvantage
02-15-05, 04:48 AM
Funny you should ask. Over the years, we had plenty of accidents with our fleet cars. It's amazing how much these cars can take! We had some wild ones over the years that totalled many cars but I can honestly say that all occupents always walked away with only minor injuries at most. That tells me that the cars did their job and protected the occupents. That said, the last gen. Fleetwoods had real wimpy frames to be honest. I was constatly amazed at how easily they would get bent in even minor accidents. Matter of fact, if you want to see for yourself, just put one on a lift and watch the whole front end sag as you lift the car off the ground. The front end actually may sag enough to make it hard to open the front doors. The other problem was the section that goes up over the rear axle. That section is so wimpy that even the most minor rear end hit would usually cause a bend in that area. One last frame issue, the cross brace that goes under the engine. It looks tough enough but all RWD GM cars (more pronounced in the full-size cars) for decades have had a problem with that area sagging. It's usually only in high-mileage cars but it DOES happen. You'll only know it when your alignment shop calls to tell you that they cannot get the camber set on your car due to the frame sag. They'll suggest the installation of a "camber-kit" to solve it. The only other solution is to have a frame shop straighten the frame (the solution I generally chose).

Hey Kevin,
Whats up man, I have some questions> What frames are you talking about bending? On what year Cadillacs? And what can be done or modified to the frames to correct this from happening? Or is this just on cars that were previously wrecked.