: Mod Idea

anpirz
06-22-13, 08:52 PM
I know it's probably been done and I'm just being a bit lazy in finding a good thread but I was thinking on modding my factory intake. I have a drop in K&N and was thinking of cutting out a hole in the box, attaching a thick tube to it and running it to the grill. Kind if like the volant system with their ghetto ram air, just without their filter flopping around inside. Seems like the same concept without spending $300 for a cool sound. That plus an iceolator should be a great combo. Any thoughts?

WRXtranceformed
06-23-13, 02:43 PM
The factory intake already has a ram air element to it, it's built into the intake silencer. You would be providing no benefit at all over stock. If you just want better sound remove that silencer. You will see what I am talking about when you take out your intake. Do a search on this forum for a DIY silencer removal thread I made.

anpirz
06-24-13, 12:02 PM
Thank you very much, I did not know that. Im not interested in sound. I'm really just wondering how much better an aftermarket intake is than my drop in K&N. I guess everything's diameter is just bigger with the new intake, providing more air?

WRXtranceformed
06-24-13, 01:06 PM
Yeah no problem, I mean the reality is that an intake is not going to add much power wise on a naturally aspirated 6 cylider engine. The stock intakeon one of my old WRXs was so well engineered that it didn't really need to be touched until over 300whp. You are probably not going to notice a seat of the pants difference between your current setup and a $300 aftermarket intake until you really start to mod (supercharger, etc.)

anpirz
06-24-13, 01:29 PM
That's what I figured. Not gonna invest that big in the car (supercharger). I'm just gonna stick with an iceolator, ported TB, a catch can and a tune. Should be enough to get that "wasted potential" feeling out of the ride. Thanks for the advice

tinman
06-24-13, 03:19 PM
That's what I figured. Not gonna invest that big in the car (supercharger). I'm just gonna stick with an iceolator, ported TB, a catch can and a tune. Should be enough to get that "wasted potential" feeling out of the ride. Thanks for the advice

Unless you have a credit card with a high limit, I personally believe this is the best bang for the buck. Maybe add the Brembo brakes. And by tune, did you mean the Trifecta Tune?

anpirz
06-24-13, 06:09 PM
Just did a brake change so probably will hold off on that. Although I feel like the braking system on the di's don't hold up well. Too heavy of a car.

I was researching the trifecta tune to see how difficult it was to use and it seems like a breeze. I live in Miami and the best tune shop around I believe is Redline in Deerfield beach. Is trifecta just as good as a shop like Redline? I'm a DIY guy but won't compromise when it comes to the well being of my car. Your thoughts, Tinman? Will other shops have more/less options when tuning?

----------

It seems like trifecta has cornered the market for tuning the cts. Is there better?