: Running wifes V at Willow Springs drags tonight

Big Jay
06-22-13, 08:04 PM
Going to go to the track and make a half dozen runs. it is an A6 sedan. I have never tried to leave hard in this car before. I took it to the track enterance road and tried it. Leave in drive with TC off just puts down a lot of rubber. TC on and it leaves pretty good.

This is an all asphalt track without concrete pad, so I will just leave TC on.

If anyone is in the LA / SFV area, come on up. Racing starts at 7 PM. If you want to run your car, they rent helmets.

FinestKind-CTS-V
06-23-13, 12:23 PM
Let us know how you do and what makes for best technique .... I assume you use the sport transmission mode but how about the sport suspension mode, on or off? Make any difference?

Do you leave TC on or off, do you power brake it up a bit before launch or just stomp it, or do you half throttle it to gain traction with TC off then stomp it?...

Not sure which way gives the best results but would like your opinions before running my 2012 A6 sedan here in NJ for fun, just want to see what she can do!
So frustrating to have all that power under your foot and not able to really open it up anywhere BUT a racetrack...

Trainman SRT-10
06-23-13, 07:36 PM
Results?

Big Jay
06-24-13, 08:15 PM
My shop is in front of the track. I came to work Sat morning and turned into the track enterance road to practise launches. TC off was a huge waste of time. So I did a few with TC on. Much better.

So I made the decision to just use drive with TC on. In my Vette, if you make a run in sport mode, it shifts at a slightly higher RPM and a little more firm. Wasn't sure about the Cad, so I didn't try that.

Went up to the track at 7PM when things started. Willow Springs runs 1000 ft. My purpose of running this car was to see if it was quicker than my vette. My wife has been talking smack ever since she read online that her Cad should spank the vette. We were both going to come and settle it in a best of 3, but she didn't feel up to it.

Well, the first car I line up with is a black C6 vette, just like ours, but not a wide body. It put a couple of hundredths on me on the tree and got out about 1/2 car. I started to real it in, and at the finish I had it by a car length. The cad ran 2 1/2 MPH faster than my vette had ever gone out there.

I ran 11.19 et. When I got home I found a slip from the vette that showed 11.25 out there ( Vette has 12" wide rear tires, so it can leave harder ).

So when she is ready to do this, looks like it will be all on the tree. Rest of the evening i had no close races, including a Cobra Mustang.

FinestKind-CTS-V
06-24-13, 08:39 PM
My shop is in front of the track. I came to work Sat morning and turned into the track enterance road to practise launches. TC off was a huge waste of time. So I did a few with TC on. Much better.

So I made the decision to just use drive with TC on. In my Vette, if you make a run in sport mode, it shifts at a slightly higher RPM and a little more firm. Wasn't sure about the Cad, so I didn't try that.

Went up to the track at 7PM when things started. Willow Springs runs 1000 ft. My purpose of running this car was to see if it was quicker than my vette. My wife has been talking smack ever since she read online that her Cad should spank the vette. We were both going to come and settle it in a best of 3, but she didn't feel up to it.

Well, the first car I line up with is a black C6 vette, just like ours, but not a wide body. It put a couple of hundredths on me on the tree and got out about 1/2 car. I started to real it in, and at the finish I had it by a car length. The cad ran 2 1/2 MPH faster than my vette had ever gone out there.

I ran 11.19 et. When I got home I found a slip from the vette that showed 11.25 out there ( Vette has 12" wide rear tires, so it can leave harder ).

So when she is ready to do this, looks like it will be all on the tree. Rest of the evening i had no close races, including a Cobra Mustang.

Wow!
Is your V stock?

Big Jay
06-24-13, 08:44 PM
Yes. Those are 1000' times

MPNX2
06-25-13, 12:49 AM
When is the next time Willow is doing drags. I have never done it before. Would be fun. Maybe I will also bring my g35 coupe too. What's the cost?

FinestKind-CTS-V
06-25-13, 08:00 AM
Yes. Those are 1000' times

Ahhhh missed that before. Still fast, but what I wonder would the 1/4 mile time/speed be for a totally stock V?

Big Jay
06-25-13, 03:54 PM
Ahhhh missed that before. Still fast, but what I wonder would the 1/4 mile time/speed be for a totally stock V?

My vette went 12.60 at Famosa. I only got one run and no thime to develope a launch technique. So I figure the Cad may do 12.20 as I should be able to leave with TC off if the track in prepared.

----------

When is the next time Willow is doing drags. I have never done it before. Would be fun. Maybe I will also bring my g35 coupe too. What's the cost?

It is really cheap, like $15.00 to race. If you don't have a helmet, you can rent one.. Check this out; http://www.willowspringsraceway.com/page.php?id=53