: Plastidip 2013 SRX w/ Pictures

dbair07
06-22-13, 05:46 PM
Last month I bought a 2013 Cadillac SRX. I love the car but wasn't crazy about all of the chrome. It looked dated and old-manish. I looked for ways to change it up from every other SRX on the road. My buddy then introduced me to plasti-dip. They he introduced me to a shop here in Calgary called Core Customs. These guys specialize in Plasti-dipping cars. I went to them and we talked about ideas. We settled with Plasti-dipping all of the chrome Matte Black.

I did everything chrome. Grills, Wheels, Roof Rails, Door & Window Trim, Emblems on Back, Chrome strip on back, exhaust tips, everything!

Amazing product and turned out great. I did a ton of research on this product before doing it so I could probably answer most questions.

Let me know!

'12CTSman
06-22-13, 09:21 PM
What do you think your SRX is worth now with a ton of black rubber/plastic on it? Not for me as I am an old man, but I have to give you props for making a statement.

dbair07
06-22-13, 09:23 PM
Actually more as it will protect the chrome so when I want to sell it I will simply peel off the product and the chrome will look new. Be more educated before you post comments.

'12CTSman
06-22-13, 09:27 PM
No way you can peel that stuff off. I'm from Missouri so show me.

dbair07
06-22-13, 09:29 PM
Google it. Tons of pics and videos. Very easily peels off.

300:29:1
06-22-13, 10:16 PM
Google it. Tons of pics and videos. Very easily peels off.

Still looks awful. Why get an elegant vehicle only to remove any signs of distinction from it? I agree that it's now easily distinguishable from other SRX's, but I can't say that it looks good.

dbair07
06-22-13, 10:20 PM
Fair opinion. To each their own.

Ponyman
06-22-13, 10:27 PM
Looks like dog crap.

ladypro
06-23-13, 07:37 AM
cut this guy some slack, consider his age.

TheCaptain
06-23-13, 10:28 AM
You know, usually I'm not a big plasti-dip fan (normally the user just plasters it on and it looks like horrible crap hanging all over). But whomever did your spray job (Core Customs I guess) did an excellent job! It's so fine it looks almost like paint! And with the Ashen Grey Metallic paint, you have a sweet stealth, smoky SRX going on! Good job on the look, and good job on researching it thoroughly before just buying a can and spraying the crap all over! :thumbsup:

Not to mention your SRX should be easier to clean in the winter, and you don't have to worry about the chrome diminishing for some time!

Marc NY
06-23-13, 11:16 AM
Although not my cup of tea I do give this SRX owner credit for trying something completely different!

If this can be reversed than really no harm indeed and no loss of resale value too. :)

adamjeeps
06-23-13, 12:24 PM
How durable is the finish? Mostly worried about the grill chipping off and having little specks of chrome shining through.

dbair07
06-23-13, 11:15 PM
Thanks guys, glad I'm getting some positive feedback. The guys at Core Customs really know what they are doing. They are doing some high end cars. Escalade, GTR, Corvette, just to name a few.

adamjeeps good question. The key to plastidip is how many coats you put on. The more coats, the more durable it is and the easier it is to peal off. When the product first came out guys were doing 3-4 coats. The guys at Core are using around 8 coats so it is very durable. They have stated even with the harsh climates here it should last about 3 years before having to be removed or re-done.

Now will it last forever? No. It's not designed to. The reason I did it though is two reasons. The guys at Core warranty it for a year so if you do get any chips or it starts to peel they will re-do that section for free.

Secondly with the weather where I live they put a lot of salt and rocks on the road during the winter. Even if it only lasted a year it's protecting the wheels and chrome from rock chips that are a way of life here. This is an investment into this beautiful car is how I see it.

I could go on forever about this stuff.

davedogcaddy
06-25-13, 07:20 AM
I'm glad you found a way to make your SRX 'your own' - and as it's been said, it looks like for what it is they did a great job.

That being said I'm personally not a fan. AND I do not consider myself 'an old man' (I'm 29). I've actually added MORE chrome to my 2010 SRX by upgrading to the 2013 grills. So to each his own, and it's not necessarily tied to age. :D

dbair07
06-25-13, 09:48 AM
You are right. I used a poor choice of words. You need to individualize it for YOU. I prefer the matte black look over the chrome but to each their own.

Mullah88
06-25-13, 09:57 AM
car looks beautiful man...now tint the taillights lol

Love unique looking cars, sets it apart from the rest of the drones out there

vex008
08-19-13, 09:32 PM
looks really good OP, some like the chrome and some dont. I am not a huge fan of chrome but it does work with little bit here and there.
I got some plastidip I might give it a go. You are right...it peels off no problem and its fairly durable.

adamjeeps
08-19-13, 10:03 PM
I just used it on my Dodge Dakota wood grain radio bezel. Plasti dipped it black. 4 coats. Then 4 coats of gloss. My question is does it ever lose the "sticky" feeling or is it really feel like wet rubber even after completely drying? I keep remembering to tell myself that it can peel right off if i screw it up or want to change color or revert back to original :)

paid4c4
08-20-13, 12:03 AM
It's not for me, but it's your SRX and your money and if it suits you then "right on"
Bill

dbair07
08-20-13, 04:43 PM
Hey @adamjeeps. Couple thoughts on your post. Yes the sticky feel will go away after a couple solid weeks of drying. Have to be careful not to scratch it during this drying phase or it will be permanent.

The gloss may give you headaches. Matte plastidip peels easily. As soon as you add gloss it will peel in small little flakes instead of a nice steady peel. Might be a big pain in the you know. If people want a glossy look don't use plastidip it takes away from a lot of benefits of plastidip.

MJDART
08-20-13, 06:29 PM
I think they did a great job, also being you're wise enough to choose a Cadillac, means you will more than stand out in a crowd.

adamjeeps
08-20-13, 07:38 PM
Hey @adamjeeps. Couple thoughts on your post. Yes the sticky feel will go away after a couple solid weeks of drying. Have to be careful not to scratch it during this drying phase or it will be permanent.

The gloss may give you headaches. Matte plastidip peels easily. As soon as you add gloss it will peel in small little flakes instead of a nice steady peel. Might be a big pain in the you know. If people want a glossy look don't use plastidip it takes away from a lot of benefits of plastidip.

Thanks for the info. I was debating not using the gloss but it was my first time trying the dip process and wanted to see how it looked. I have read and can confirm that the black does not really get very "glossy" unless I didn't do it the best way. It still looks great and was a cheap way to get rid of the ugly wood radio bezel (the only wood trim in the entire truck, why Dodge used it, I don't understand).

It's kind of addictive, I am now looking at everything and wondering if i should plastidip it :bouncy:

quantex
08-21-13, 09:40 AM
I like it. The dealership has a blacked out one for an additional 1400K. What a waste of money. The GM black paint sucks and to have more of it and pay for it, hell-no.

kanundrum
08-21-13, 01:42 PM
I think it looks good, I did a similar thing on my 9-4x

Except I used a Metallic over it

Maximumkk
08-21-13, 11:26 PM
@quantex: 1400K? As in 1.4 million? LOL!

@others:
I find it strange that so many of you are interested in blacking out your vehicles, yet for years everyone screamed at GM for using bland black/grey plastic for bumpers, rockers, etc on the cheaper models - cheap cheap cheap! everyone yelled. Now everyone wants black plastic vehicles?

As an alternative suggestion to you, my neighbour just had his pickup done with the pebble-finished black bed liner on the rocker panels, bumpers, and wheels.

Max

oldtramp99
08-22-13, 07:07 AM
Sure takes care of the bling ---- I'm feeling a generation gap!!!!! ----In my time, we just removed all the chrome.

'12CTSman
08-22-13, 09:27 AM
@quantex: 1400K? As in 1.4 million? LOL!

@others:
I find it strange that so many of you are interested in blacking out your vehicles, yet for years everyone screamed at GM for using bland black/grey plastic for bumpers, rockers, etc on the cheaper models - cheap cheap cheap! everyone yelled. Now everyone wants black plastic vehicles?

As an alternative suggestion to you, my neighbour just had his pickup done with the pebble-finished black bed liner on the rocker panels, bumpers, and wheels.

Max

Times they are a-changin'!

Likely
08-22-13, 10:43 AM
That is one ugly SRX!!!!! Enough said...............

TSS
08-22-13, 11:05 AM
I am an old man and I like it. Thing is, I also have tons of experience with plastidip and have concluded that anywhere I may need to touch or dry, it's not for me. It loses grippiness, but still traps lint, dust, dirt, etc to much to my liking. I was hot on Plastidip, but not so much now. I encourage people to try it, and see if they like the look for a few weeks. If they do, then peel it off and get it done right, permanently. The other use I have for it is to apply a layer of clear plastidip (NOT THE GLOSSIFYER), just clear plastidip to the front end of my vehicles before the winter like a clear bra - then peel it off in the Spring. Been doing this for 2 years and have far less chips, nicks than I would otherwise from salt trucks etc.

LesCrucial
09-29-13, 03:27 PM
Love it..... Screw the Haters...

Soundsystem75
10-03-13, 09:00 PM
Looks Awesome. Darth Vader would drive that. No Problem. I'd be willing to bet you increased the price of the truck due to it being a custom. You an always peel it off.

Clocker
10-03-13, 11:24 PM
Nice way to personalize...and you did a really nice job! But I prefer the shiney look of chrome. You have no idea how much more those chrome bits cost...that's why the base model gets the black roof rails and is missing some of the other chrome bits too. Pity to cover it all up but the beauty part of it is when you change your mind you can just peel it off! :bouncy:

kars79
10-04-13, 12:41 AM
I wouldn't wanna change the way my car looks from factory.
But it looks like you did a good job,
Congrats.

georule
10-04-13, 11:11 AM
I definitely don't like it on the wheels. Reminds me of old school steel rims. The rest looks pretty good. I might have left the logos alone for some contrast.

TheCaptain
10-06-13, 10:07 AM
We just did my brother's truck in plasti dip. We'll see how it holds up to a Canadian Winter. Essentially, it's to protect the chrome rims and boards on his truck. If it works well, I might use the clear dip on my chrome. (I have machine face rims coming for winter)
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o51/TheCaptain07/NickTruck_zps1e310efc.jpg (http://s117.photobucket.com/user/TheCaptain07/media/NickTruck_zps1e310efc.jpg.html)

dbair07
10-09-13, 06:07 PM
More pictures to come soon. I have done more work to it.

- Front windows tinted same as the back
- Tail lights have been tinted
- 8000K HID's for the low beams and fogs

Now it looks really bad ass all blacked out. Pics to come in a couple days. Thanks everyone for the compliments!