: 2005 STS Shocks

2005 STS
06-22-13, 04:24 PM
Hello. I am new to this forum and have trouble finding shocks for my car. I have a 2005 STS V6. The car clunks a lot when driving on a regular road and hit tiny bumps so I believe the shocks are gone. Can anyone please direct me to a website or aftermarket vendor or something? I did call the dealer and he wanted $500 for each front and $400 for each rear and that is just ridiculously expensive for me. I need something much cheaper if possible. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you

EChas3
06-22-13, 11:46 PM
On the underside of your spare tire cover, there's a label with your VIN & a bunch of 3-character codes. These are RPO codes for each of the options in your car. If you see FE3 & F55, you have Magnetic Ride Control shocks which really are that expensive. There are some aftermarket versions used for extended warranty repairs, but I wouldn't recommend them.

Many members consider MRC a disadvantage because of the cost to replace the shocks. I disagree. I regularly drive similar cars with and without MRC and can vouch for the dramatic handling improvements of the active system provided by MRC.

If you don't have those RPO codes, you have more options.

2005 STS
06-23-13, 08:54 PM
On the underside of your spare tire cover, there's a label with your VIN & a bunch of 3-character codes. These are RPO codes for each of the options in your car. If you see FE3 & F55, you have Magnetic Ride Control shocks which really are that expensive. There are some aftermarket versions used for extended warranty repairs, but I wouldn't recommend them.

Many members consider MRC a disadvantage because of the cost to replace the shocks. I disagree. I regularly drive similar cars with and without MRC and can vouch for the dramatic handling improvements of the active system provided by MRC.

If you don't have those RPO codes, you have more options.

Thank you for getting back to me. I just checked and I don't see those codes. All I saw there with an F was FE1 and FE9. What are my options?

1BadCadSTS
06-23-13, 09:28 PM
V6 never got Magride in the sts only v6 with magride was the srx (and now the ats). He had nivomat shocks.

2005 STS
06-23-13, 09:37 PM
V6 never got Magride in the sts only v6 with magride was the srx (and now the ats). He had nivomat shocks.

So where do you think I can pick up some aftermarket shocks for my car but that are well made like OEM?

1BadCadSTS
06-23-13, 09:47 PM
I think before you waste your money you need to be sure it's shocks. The cars are notorious for front lower control arm bushing failure.

Bounce the car does it stop after 1-2 rebounds? Can you see fluid on the shocks?

2005 STS
06-23-13, 09:50 PM
I think before you waste your money you need to be sure it's shocks. The cars are notorious for front lower control arm bushing failure.

Bounce the car does it stop after 1-2 rebounds? Can you see fluid on the shocks?

I didn't check the shocks yet. Do you have any websites you know of that sell aftermarket shocks for our cars just in case?

EChas3
06-23-13, 10:29 PM
With FE1 suspension, shocks shouldn't that expensive and the best manufacturers should have designs for this application. If you like to DIY, I'd check GM Parts Direct or Chris Heath @ Rippy's Cadillac before going aftermarket.

There's good advice above. Make sure your issue is diagnosed correctly before going to a lot of effort.

EChas3
06-24-13, 08:39 PM
I forgot you might have the Nivomat rear shocks (a passive leveling system.) They might be a bit more expensive than many but still not as bad as the MRC/airshocks.

B1n2fra
06-25-13, 10:49 PM
I forgot you might have the Nivomat rear shocks (a passive leveling system.) They might be a bit more expensive than many but still not as bad as the MRC/airshocks.

I didn't know any sts' s came with the nivomat shocks. I read somewhere only the cts came with them. I would much rather have them than my air shocks.