: GM's 8.1 Liter GAS V8... wth?

Playdrv4me
02-09-05, 08:29 PM
I drove an AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 tonight, something I had never seen before... a 2500 Avalanche. So I get out to look in the engine bay, and the thing says VORTEC 8100, I was like WHAT IN THE HELL do you need an 8.1L anything in an AVALANCHE FOR!

So not being up on all of GM's engines, I ask the guy "ohh 8.1L V10?" hes like.. no... so Im like "oh a Diesel, I gotcha" and he says "no its just a gas V8".

Can someone please explain to me what the purpose of this engine is? Is it for major towing? Could GM create a performance powerplant out of it somehow? I just dont understand when DC's V10 is 8.0L!

Vesicant
02-09-05, 08:39 PM
Theres no replacement for displacement :coolgleam. 8.1 = 496ci
I think its for people who dont want a diesel but want more power than the 6.0 (like whats in the escalade)

Avalanche 2500 isnt that new. Just like you can get a 2500 suburban. All for towing capabillities.

Night Wolf
02-09-05, 08:46 PM
8.1 isn't 502cid... the 500 was 8.2L

see, GM knows... not to mess with the Caddy... leave the biggest production engine for the Classic Cad :)

Here is a question.... you coudln't tell if it was a diesel or gas engine by A) the sound and B) when you pop the hood... little things like spark plugs and wires? :shhh: :)

Anyway, I think it is great... while the imports are going for their small engines, GM/Chrysler... and Ford, but not as much are pushing big V8's into cars and trucks :)

Playdrv4me
02-09-05, 08:46 PM
Theres no replacement for displacement :coolgleam. 8.1 = 496ci
I think its for people who dont want a diesel but want more power than the 6.0 (like whats in the escalade)

Avalanche 2500 isnt that new. Just like you can get a 2500 suburban. All for towing capabillities.

Yea, I know its not new, but according to the guy at the Chevy store he said they are not very popular and are pretty rare in this area. He said they had a guy come in lookin for one once brand new and the closest was in like Colorado. I really did not make a point of looking at Avalanches like... ever, so I never noticed it. I have to say, it was pretty cool with the HD GM 8 bolt wheels.

Playdrv4me
02-09-05, 08:50 PM
Here is a question.... you coudln't tell if it was a diesel or gas engine by A) the sound and B) when you pop the hood... little things like spark plugs and wires? :shhh: :)

Well I mean I wasnt really even paying attention to the thing so much as I was actually talking to the salesdude. When I was driving it, I thought maybe it was a bit loud anyway, but yea once he told me what it was and I took a quick glance at the engine bay it made sense... I just had a hard time believing it WASNT a V10, and that it WASNT a Diesel. I was just surprised to see that size engine in what is really for all practical purposes a leisure truck. Its an expensive option EVEN in the GM HD Series and GM Work truck series. The 6.6L Diesel is much more common, as is the 6.0L Vortec V8.

But yea, Ill be skippin that unless I wanna stop by the damn gas station on a daily basis.

MEJIA
02-09-05, 09:06 PM
I drove an AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 tonight, something I had never seen before... a 2500 Avalanche. So I get out to look in the engine bay, and the thing says VORTEC 8100, I was like WHAT IN THE HELL do you need an 8.1L anything in an AVALANCHE FOR!

So not being up on all of GM's engines, I ask the guy "ohh 8.1L V10?" hes like.. no... so Im like "oh a Diesel, I gotcha" and he says "no its just a gas V8".

Can someone please explain to me what the purpose of this engine is? Is it for major towing? Could GM create a performance powerplant out of it somehow? I just dont understand when DC's V10 is 8.0L!

I do believe GM can make a performace powerplant from this engine......

Perhaps Vortec 8100 High Output, damn that engine would rock....

Imagine how much horsepower and torque you can get from it.....
It all like a dream........

The Vortec 6000 H.O. engine in the Escalade is awesome, I just cant imagine so much horsepower from the Vortec 8100 H.O.

I hope they develop a performance powerplant from this big block....

Mejia

Ralph
02-09-05, 09:35 PM
Here's what you need Ian, then you can haul around that pretty Lexus of yours. :shhh:

THE DODGE MEGACAB!!! When it BIG TOO BIG!?

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=8107&sid=173&n=156

Playdrv4me
02-10-05, 07:10 AM
Hmm... that thing IS huge, but see, if that Avalanche has the 8.1L in it, Im a little surprised that this behemoth only has the 5.7 Hemi as the maximum engine. I would like to see the V10 in there, but that engine hasnt been getting alot of attention in its cast iron configuration lately, only in the Viper and SRT-10.

c5 rv
02-10-05, 07:42 PM
After Chevy and GMC discontinued the 454 gasser in 3/4 and 1 ton pickups, they needed to come out with something to keep customers who tow and/or haul heavy loads and want gas instead of diesel.

Leloz
02-10-05, 09:28 PM
Just like C5 rv said it is made for towing. I met a guy at a car show once who had a supercharged 8.1L 2500 Suburban, it was a beauty. He used it to pull his modified C5 Z06.

traumadog
03-10-05, 02:15 PM
After Chevy and GMC discontinued the 454 gasser in 3/4 and 1 ton pickups, they needed to come out with something to keep customers who tow and/or haul heavy loads and want gas instead of diesel.

If anyone cares, you can still get a 502 CI crate engine on GM Performance Parts' site...

RBraczyk
03-10-05, 08:07 PM
and a 572...:)

c5 rv
03-10-05, 08:16 PM
I would suspect that these crate engines are designed to make more torque at high revs (more bore), rather than the low end (more stroke) which is important for truck and towing use.

NewCaddyFan
03-11-05, 09:34 AM
I'm not even into pimping cars with big wheels but that Mega Cab is so big it looks like a shopping cart with the wheels in that photo link. What size are those?:hmm:

caddydaddy
03-11-05, 10:51 AM
8.1 liter gas engine would suck too much fuel! I'd rather have a big torquey diesel!

FTSS
03-11-05, 03:15 PM
. . . Can someone please explain to me what the purpose of this engine is? . . . !

LOL. Doesn't sound very American, if you ask me. Purpose, shmurpose. The more appropriate question from most of us should be something like, "when will they be making a 12.4?" :histeric:

Randy_W
03-11-05, 09:06 PM
The 8100 already is available as a performance engine, in boats. Mercury Marine (Mercruiser) has several versions.:coolgleam