: 275/40-18?

Silver1
02-09-05, 07:38 PM
Anyone tried 275/40-18 tires on the V? Clearance problems? Wheel hop - better or worse?

baf_ctsv
02-09-05, 10:38 PM
I have 255's on and they will rub a little bit on a full lock turn to the left. So 275 would be worse.

V-seriesTech
02-10-05, 10:40 AM
I have 255's on and they will rub a little bit on a full lock turn to the left. So 275 would be worse.

Spend a few extra bucks,...get a mini tub kit from someone(maybe Mallet),..a buy a decent set of 3 piece wheels. CCW would be the most affordable, HRE, or my favorite, the best wheel in the world, FIKSE.

Dreamin
02-14-05, 01:00 AM
get a mini tub kit from someone(maybe Mallet),..
That requires a very big blue wrench... you could *almost* buy a Maggie for what Mallett charges to do it (all labor).

V-seriesTech
02-14-05, 12:18 PM
Just the best,...not always the cheapest route. Find someone local, that has race car fabrication backround,..maybe a rollcage shop. My cousin, in his vette, 2002 Z06, had his chromeoly cage(6-point) fabed, installed, as well as the mini tub kit he bought from Lingenfelter for $1600...+mini tub kit, $500. Not bad.

Body shop would work also,...do some homework.

Dreamin
02-14-05, 01:45 PM
I figured you were using the Z06 for your mini-tub recommendation...

To "mini-tub" a Z06 requires cutting fiberglass... you could almost do that with an exacto-knife ;) To mini-tub a CTS-V requires cutting rear frame (metal) and the trunk side supports (again metal, no fiberglass).

BYOB! (bring your own blow-torch).

Good luck finding a body shop that will do that for $500.

V-seriesTech
02-14-05, 02:48 PM
I figured you were using the Z06 for your mini-tub recommendation...

To "mini-tub" a Z06 requires cutting fiberglass... you could almost do that with an exacto-knife ;) To mini-tub a CTS-V requires cutting rear frame (metal) and the trunk side supports (again metal, no fiberglass).

BYOB! (bring your own blow-torch).

Good luck finding a body shop that will do that for $500.

...and what is Mallet charging?

You guys need to befriend someone in a shop,...ae....a body shop.

The mini tub kit, really ISN'T a big deal. Really. It's not a new science,...again,...do your homework,..ask around. You could probably have someone make there OWN kit,...install it, for a thousand bucks. Think hot rod shop.