: Cadillac CTS With Real-Time XM Satellite Traffic

homer403
02-09-05, 05:32 PM
If anyone figure this out, let me know :hmm:

Starting this month, Cadillac will begin offering XM NavTraffic; the nation's first real-time satellite traffic information service for vehicle navigation systems. First available on the CTS, the XM NavTraffic system will provide continuously-updated traffic information in a selected city. The system will come standard in cars equipped with the DVD navigation feature.
This new technology, offered exclusively by XM Satellite Radio (Nasdaq: XMSR), is fully integrated with the vehicle's on-board GPS navigation system to display current information about traffic incidents and average traffic speed along specific roadways. A driver can enter a destination into the navigation system, and then, aided by a color-coded display, obtain instant traffic data on the preferred route. The driver can:

-- See how fast traffic is moving on the route -- See on-screen symbols that identify accidents, construction and road congestion -- Choose an alternate route to avoid traffic incidents and reach the destination faster
XM NavTraffic is powered by NAVTEQ Traffic(TM), a product from NAVTEQ, the leading global provider of digital map data for vehicle navigation systems. NAVTEQ Traffic quality checks and aggregates planned and unplanned incident data from multiple sources across the country, including the leading commercial traffic data providers, government departments of transportation, police and emergency services, road sensors, cameras and airborne reports. Once received, the information is then merged with NAVTEQ maps and continuously broadcast via XM's network of satellites and ground-based repeaters, ensuring that the latest information is available to the driver.
Purchasers of a 2005 CTS equipped with an optional DVD navigation system will receive the first three months of XM Satellite Radio and the XM NavTraffic service free. Following the trial period, drivers can subscribe to XM Satellite Radio or the XM NavTraffic service for $9.99/month. Customers can subscribe to both for only $13.98/month.
Cadillac is the luxury division of General Motors Corp. (NYSE: GM) and produces vehicles such as the STS performance sedan, the XLR convertible roadster, the SRX midsize utility, and the CTS entry-level sedan. In addition to selling the popular DeVille nameplate, Cadillac also sells the popular the Escalade, Escalade ESV and Escalade EXT. More information on Cadillac and its products can be found on http://www.cadillac.com or http://media.gm.com/division/cadillac .

benjet
02-09-05, 05:44 PM
It overlays real time traffic data onto the maps in your NAV.

lawfive
02-09-05, 05:48 PM
It overlays real time traffic data onto the maps in your NAV.

I'm guessing he wants to know why it isn't available on the CTS-V's nav system as expected. I suspect the answer is that GM had to cut costs somewhere, and they couldn't figure out how to get both XM NavTraffic AND wheel hop onto the car and stay at $50K.

-- Jerry

benjet
02-09-05, 05:59 PM
I'm guessing he wants to know why it isn't available on the CTS-V's nav system as expected.

"expected"??

by who?

lawfive
02-09-05, 06:14 PM
"expected"??

by who?

It's been rumored for awhile for Caddy's. We bought ours too early. Dunno about a retrofit to make it work on our cars. Living in LA, it would sure be worth $4.00 a month to have it!

-- Jerry

In January, this appeared on the XM site:

XM NavTraffic is currently available as a standard feature of the 2005 Acura RL, which debuted in fall 2004, and will be available on certain 2005 models of the Cadillac CTS.

This came out just today on Yahoo:

Cadillac CTS With Real-Time XM Satellite Traffic Information Arrives in Dealerships This Month
Tuesday February 8, 3:00 pm ET

DETROIT, Feb. 8 /PRNewswire/ -- Starting this month, Cadillac will begin offering XM NavTraffic; the nation's first real-time satellite traffic information service for vehicle navigation systems. First available on the CTS, the XM NavTraffic system will provide continuously-updated traffic information in a selected city. The system will come standard in cars equipped with the DVD navigation feature.

This new technology, offered exclusively by XM Satellite Radio (Nasdaq: XMSR (http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=xmsr&d=t) - News (http://finance.yahoo.com/q/h?s=xmsr)), is fully integrated with the vehicle's on-board GPS navigation system to display current information about traffic incidents and average traffic speed along specific roadways. A driver can enter a destination into the navigation system, and then, aided by a color-coded display, obtain instant traffic data on the preferred route. The driver can:

See how fast traffic is moving on the route
See on-screen symbols that identify accidents, construction and road congestion
Choose an alternate route to avoid traffic incidents and reach the destination faster

XM NavTraffic is powered by NAVTEQ Traffic(TM), a product from NAVTEQ, the global provider of digital map data for vehicle navigation systems. NAVTEQ Traffic quality checks and aggregates planned and unplanned incident data from multiple sources across the country, including the leading commercial traffic data providers, government departments of transportation, police and emergency services, road sensors, cameras and airborne reports. Once received, the information is then merged with NAVTEQ maps and continuously broadcast via XM's network of satellites and ground-based repeaters, ensuring that the latest information is available to the driver. Purchasers of a 2005 CTS equipped with the optional DVD navigation system will receive the first three months of XM Satellite Radio and the XM NavTraffic service free. Following the trial period, drivers can subscribe to XM Satellite Radio or the XM NavTraffic service for $9.99/month. Customers can subscribe to both for only $13.98/month.

(http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050208/detu046_1.html)

benjet
02-09-05, 06:23 PM
ok I get what you meant, we've talk about this new feature here on this board almost a year ago (it was on my very first CTS-V survery back to GM - and I'm just days away from 1 year of ownership).

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16268

That's from more than 6 months ago.

So the real Q is, is this a hardware or software change or both (other than the obvious subscription required), and cost to do such.

Reed, I guess you and I have a new quest.

-Ben

ctsvett
02-09-05, 06:49 PM
I think I understand how it will work. The Nav system has has this capability already in Japan from my understanding. There are ports (not used in current models) that are labeled Modem TX/ RX on harnesses. I dont know if they actually have wire in them however, I will look. If they dont have wire, this may be difficult to retrofit. If they do, it may be easy.

However, it could just be a firmware upgrade. We never know. My only question would be, will this require a Firmware upgrade to the NAV unit (most likely yes) and will the dealer do that for us?

I'm will you Ben... right after I get my combined antenna on.

Reed
http://www.cadillacfaq.com

homer403
02-09-05, 07:04 PM
Reed, I see that you and Ben have taken on the quest... :gnome: EXCELLENT

I am so sick and tired :deadhorse of vaporware,

Homer

lawfive
02-09-05, 07:41 PM
Just asked my service manager about getting it to work on my '05 V. He said he had no idea, and that GM's stock answer is always, "No," so instead he asked a GM field engineer, who gave him a bunch of technical info, the bottom line of which was also, "No."

Crap. Hope somebody else gets a, "Yes" answer, so that at minimum we can average the two out to be a "Maybe."

-- Jerry

benjet
02-09-05, 08:21 PM
lawfive,

Pardon me for saying this but yes I think you are asking the wrong questions/way, and would always get a no answer. Have to be more CSI about it.

My plan of attack is more like this:

First wait until one (a CTS equipped with Navtraffic) arrives at the dealer (go there to check it out to see how it works), then visit the parts dept to see if that PARTICULAR CTS has a different RPO code for the NavTraffic Radio, or if it's some kind of newly added module, or what....from there we can begin to figure out the differences. For the most part our guesses are -

1. Uses the EXACT same radio (same part #) and just plugs a new module in.
2. Updates the current radio software (aka firmware)
3. Completely new radio unit (w/possible built in new module)
4. Combo of 1 + 2

etc.

A service person would generally say no, esp since they haven't even seen the car with the system in it yet. Once they have it on the showroom floor you'll know they need to be able to service (or order parts) for it.

So for now, everyone find out when your local dealer will have one in.... so you can go check it out ;)

lawfive
02-09-05, 09:12 PM
lawfive,

My plan of attack is more like this:

:worship:

ctsvinman
02-10-05, 01:12 AM
This vapor ware is closer to reality than you think. A customer of mine in Cupertino has developed a REAT TIME TRAFFIC broadcast system, they are getting ready to lanch it in a couple major markets. Obviously here in the Bay Area, SoCal, Boston, Chicago and some others.

Go check out there web page

www.speedinfo.com (http://www.speedinfo.com)

I'm under NDA with them and I have not visited the web page for a while, so I don't know how much data they have revealed there. Go check it out and I'm sure I can answer some basic non proprietary questions regarding deployment and how it works.

Simple explanation: There's a fully contained roadside sensor monted along the highway. Data gets broadcasted via FM radio signal to your vehicle display. Green means flowing traffic, yellow means traffic is slow and red means grid lock.

CTSVMAN out....

ctsvett
02-10-05, 02:13 AM
There is a 3rd party devie out there now:
TrafficGauge

http://aftermarket.autoblog.com/entry/1234000697022041/

Its a separate device, but its available now. Not like having the same info on the nav though.

Reed
http://www.cadillacfaq.com

benjet
02-10-05, 05:17 AM
Just for sh!ts and giggles I went searching on the Acura boards for this, seems they've had it up and working in (at least) the LA area since Oct'04ish, and that includes real end user cars (not just in testing phase)... There have been some bugs (for instance, and boy does this shed some light :sneaky: ):

"What we have found is the communications link between the navi/radio units and the xm/hip unit have failed. For those who have this problem, check to see if you can access your Acura link messages."

things that make you go hmm.... maybe a new XM module???

Kels55
02-10-05, 09:06 AM
Obviously I have never used it in my V, but I thought that this was already included in our V's because the DVD Nav has a button on it that is to be used for getting traffic update. And when I bought the car in April '04, the salesman told me that the button was for that same reason.

If I am wrong, someone please tell me what that button is supposed to do.

tedcmiller
02-10-05, 09:37 AM
The "Traffic" button on existing radio/navigation units in the CTS allows you to receive local FM broadcasts of traffic information if the particular station you are tuned to is transmitting any. Most stations don't do this. I have yet to receive any such info even though I have turned this feature on. It has nothing to do with the GPS navigation/mapping system.

JST
02-10-05, 08:41 PM
Spoke with a dealer today who indicated that all cars built after January 19 '05 have the new traffic function on the Nav.

homer403
02-10-05, 08:53 PM
He wouldn't by chance say how we could get it??? :hmm:

Innocent Bystander
02-22-05, 01:05 PM
My "sources" tell me that to get the new traffic feature, you'll need to reprogram the NAV radio - which the dealer can do - and replace the XM receiver with an updated unit - which the dealer can also do. Sorry, don't have part numbers but I can verify that ALL CTS-Vs built after 1/18/05 have the new function. Neat stuff too. Haven't seen it for myself, yet.

lawfive
02-22-05, 02:39 PM
My "sources" tell me that to get the new traffic feature, you'll need to reprogram the NAV radio - which the dealer can do - and replace the XM receiver with an updated unit - which the dealer can also do. Sorry, don't have part numbers but I can verify that ALL CTS-Vs built after 1/18/05 have the new function. Neat stuff too. Haven't seen it for myself, yet.

Sounds like, "A bazillion dollars up front, and THEN only $4.00/month."

Hey Moderators, can we kill this thread and (if possible) put Bystander's post onto the Open Modifications sticky thread? Thanks!

-- Jerry

DMC-12
02-22-05, 11:58 PM
Just for sh!ts and giggles I went searching on the Acura boards for this, seems they've had it up and working in (at least) the LA area since Oct'04ish, and that includes real end user cars (not just in testing phase)...

All 20 cities went live in August of 04.

The Acura RL's shipped about a month after that.

DMC-12
02-23-05, 12:08 AM
Obviously I have never used it in my V, but I thought that this was already included in our V's because the DVD Nav has a button on it that is to be used for getting traffic update. And when I bought the car in April '04, the salesman told me that the button was for that same reason.

If I am wrong, someone please tell me what that button is supposed to do.

The "TRAF" button on that NAV system is for the "RDS-TMC" traffic system... which is commonly used in Europe (no one really uses that here in the states... GOV/State DOT's here, just never really adopted that platform). It's for the Analog FM sub-carrier that RDS-TMC runs on... not for the encrypted digital XM NavTraffic satellite signal.

DMC-12
02-23-05, 12:26 AM
It's been rumored for awhile for Caddy's. We bought ours too early. Dunno about a retrofit to make it work on our cars. Living in LA, it would sure be worth $4.00 a month to have it!

-- Jerry

LOL Jerry.. yeah... I spent some time today just putting in closures on the PCH and Topanga Canyon Blvd due to mud & rock slides.... make the rain stop! LOL

-Jerry

benjet
02-23-05, 12:28 AM
The "TRAF" button on that NAV system is for the "RDS-TMC" traffic system... which is commonly used in Europe (no one really uses that here in the states... GOV/State DOT's here, just never really adopted that platform). It's for the Analog FM sub-carrier that RDS-TMC runs on... not for the encrypted digital XM NavTraffic satellite signal.

So DMC,

Can you tell us what hw/sw we would need to upgare or modify (earlier CTS's) in order to get the NavTraffic?

-Ben