Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2008 STS headlights

8K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  curtc 
#1 ·
Ok this is my first Cadillac with these projection headlights and honestly they don't put out as much light as unthought they would. I would like to change the, to something that puts out some light. I think mine are the basic lights as they do not have a light washer beside them. So what would y'all recommend? Also is it worth it for led on other outside lights on the car and inside as well? I appreciate all the advise.

#2 ·
My understanding is that the headlight assembly that has the HIDs is a completely different part from your headlight assy that comes with halogens. This suggests that there is a possibility that installing HIDs could potentially burn your projectors. Although it might not and I'm sure folks on this forum have played with this. What I can tell you is that for the best possible light output, the oem HIDs are the best choice. Hundreds of dollars more than aftermarket HIDs though. People will try to tell you otherwise but I've had a personal experience with it and oem is the way to go. I have led license plate and reverse lights. Really cleans up the look. For the side marker lights I recommend going with the color correct lights. For example, the front strip on the side bumper, put in yellow LEDs, not a regular white one. This helps keep the oem look. Led for the front parking light (the little dot in the headlamp) is a good look as well. Link to my thread in the STS-V forum where I ask about, purchase, install, and post pics of my conversion (before and after) to follow. But I'll tell you right now that you should do the interior. Cleans it up nicely.

----------

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...289025-cadillac-sts-v-interior-led-light.html
Read through the thread. You'll like what you see.

#4 ·
I have an '08 as well and a few years ago converted the existing lights to HID, I used a Philips kit (ebay) and have not had any problems.
The HIDs have not fried, smoked, or melted the headlight housing/lenses. There is no comparison on the light output, the HIDs are far superior.

The light "cutoff" is the same as the original bulbs, very distinct. If you are looking for maximum light, I would not go over 6000K. The higher the number, the "bluer" the light and less output. I originally wanted 5000K, however they were not available from Philips, only 4300K and 6000K. In Philips, the 6000K is mostly white with a hint of blue. I have seen some 6000K bulbs that were quite blue. Depends on the manufacture.

#9 ·
If you decide on an HID conversion my advise is to stick with OEM temp bulbs...4300k. This temp will give you the optimal light output as it is the closest to real sun light.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.