: Had my trans fluid changed

mckellyb
06-22-13, 12:09 AM
I spent three hours car up in the air as far as the floor jack I have would raise it, on stands, trying to get the fill plug off...no success.

The third time the Torx bit flew out of there with a resounding PING, and managed to miss my head, I knew I was bound to damage myself...likely the car, too. Plus, I was using aRube Goldbergesque extension on a 1/4" wrench for leverage, and bent said wrench.

Anyway, I took it to the lube shop down the street, 'cause I've always viewed them as trustworthy, and I've been there a few times for annual state-mandated safety inspections, chatted up the guys who have been there for at least a couple of years, now, and I trust them to swap the fluid, the Dexron VI I provided and the filter I bought a couple of years back.

I have records of where the PO had it changed, at a dealer, @ 50K, but even so, the lube guys said it looked like motor oil when draining.

They also claimed the could get only 6 quarts back in, so even though they said they hooked it up to a machine for exchange, I don't quite buy it. They did say they removed the fill plug, which was remarkably tight, so if nothing else, I'll be able to drain/fill in 30K miles...maybe less.

The converter doesn't drain on this into the pan, does it? Wait...it can't, or you'd have to wait for it to fill when it starts. I have a Cummins ISB motorcoach which have a stuck drainback valve in the converter, and it takes a good 15 seconds for it to fill, if it's been sitting a few days.

I really wish GM, and other automakers, hadn't started doing this...'sealing' transmissions, when they need fluid changes, regardless of what they claim.

Looks like I drain/refill the trans every other oil change. Thankfully oil changes seems to be about every 12K-13K miles.

Depressingly, this work cost my $162, though I quite-literally con't manage it. Next time should be different.

EChas3
06-22-13, 12:46 AM
Drain & Drop/filter change OR exchange machine? Did they do both?

Sorry to hear of the trouble but it's not adding up to me. For that price, I could have had my dealer do the whole job. Is there any more to the story?

mckellyb
06-22-13, 07:10 AM
Nah, that's it.

Double what I was originally quoted, which bothers me, but that was a couple of weeks ago. Their claim is the converter drains when the pan is drained, and I know it was in the bay for a couple of hours.

I was likely partially rooked on this, however, I trust no dealers in the D/FW area, at all.