: Headlight out; tried ballast, bulb and fuse... now what???

stevenriz
06-21-13, 09:14 PM
Hi everyone. Had the driver's low beam HID go out. to be safe, I bought a ballast online and already had a couple good bulbs and had an old ballast that worked when I tapped it. Well tried EVERY combination or three ballasts and three bulbs twice and nothing works. Tapped the ballasts too, nothing! Swapped fuse locations and still nothing on the driver side. What else????? Wiring looks ok. help! thanks!!

1BadCadSTS
06-21-13, 09:46 PM
Did you check power and ground at the harness where it plugs into the ballast?

stevenriz
06-21-13, 10:53 PM
NO I do not have a tester for that. I lowered the bumper and am swapping the light assemblies and will report back. First test, I put the drivers one I was fixing into the passenger harness. No light. Will try the other ballasts and bulbs. Possibly I just have all bad fixtures.... thanks for the reply!

----------

Nothing. Any combination of ballasts and bulbs I get nothing. high beams and the little marker light work. Just no low beam. Might I have a bad assembly? Do I really need to take out the good side and start swapping components to know for sure??? ugh! Can you imagine what the dealer would have told me?? bla bla bla blal..... bla bla bla.... $729 to repair :|

----------

I guess I will put the pig back together and just not drive at night until I get a new assembly. Broke right side bumper bolt too. Very excited about that :(

EChas3
06-22-13, 12:29 AM
IMHO, anyone wanting to do any electrical work on a car needs a good Volt-Ohmeter and know how to use it. A basic digital one can be had for less than $15.

Diagnosing issues by swapping parts can take a lot of time and ruin good parts.

stevenriz
06-22-13, 08:18 AM
You're right I should have a tester and may go get one today. Question is does anyone know the pin out on the headlight harness? Or do I just test power going to the ballast? Or all of the above?

stevenriz
06-22-13, 11:09 AM
Got a tester. There doesn't seem to be power going to the ballast. I checked continuity within the headlight itself and the meter is all over the place. I don't know yet if that is ok or not yet. I did notice the connector to the housing is corroded and one contact is very plyable so maybe that is where the problem lies. Can I just order a harness for the housing? I see that it is removable with a good twist of the connector. Housings are pricey on ebay. over $300!! Thoughts?? thanks!!

----------

found the problem. A contact corroded and is still inside the car harness. I hope I can get it out or else I might be in troublem. Why did it have to be the low beam!!!!! Anyway I will report back what I find. Again if you know of a part number for the housing harness please let me know!

stevenriz
06-22-13, 03:33 PM
Bypassed the corrosion with small length of wire. Hope it lasts!!